Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Guess The Lowest Integer, Win $10 !! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359651)

10-21-2005 12:28 AM

Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I thought 20% would pick 1 but I forgot this is an advantage gambling forum. davebl, well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. When sumzero and bobdibble started asking about how many were going to play so they could play the optimal strategy I thought it was likely no one would choose 1 because it was too likely to be chosen by someone else.

yellowjack 10-21-2005 12:35 AM

Haha, of course I have to be one of the six who picked 17.

10-21-2005 12:41 AM

Yeah what was the deal with 14 and 17? Seems like it wasn't just a statistical anomouly

Nomad84 10-21-2005 01:04 AM

Wonder if there is any significance to the fact that 6 of the smallest 7 unchosen numbers were odd?

SumZero 10-21-2005 03:11 AM

Yeah people tend to pick odd numbers more often than even because they look more random to people.

Two of the most commonly picked numbers between 1 and 100 when people do it are 37 and 73.

For the record I picked 4.

This is a very psycological type of game. Reminds me for some reason of the game
Mediocrity. Basically:

[ QUOTE ]
The winner of a game of Mediocrity is the most "mediocre" player. In a three player game of mediocrity each player selects a number (lets say between 1-10). The player who selects the middlemost number is the winner! (Ties can be resolved by having a different fraction added to each player; this can be rotated). This is known as Level 0 mediocrity.

A Level 1 game of mediocrity involves playing N games (lets say 5) of Level 0 mediocrity. Of course the winner is the person with the middlemost number of Level 0 wins! The progression to higher Level (2+) games of mediocrity is quite clear. The strategy for higher level games of mediocrity (3+) is extremely difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again it is all about trying to outguess what the others are going to do.

10-21-2005 11:24 PM

Can someone explain the game of mediocrity to me?

EnderW27 10-22-2005 02:15 AM

I guessed 14.

I didn't give it a lot of thought really. I wanted a number above ten that didn't seem to attract any "special" qualities to it. 11-13 I could attach some significance to and so I figured others would as well and might choose them. I couldn't see anything wrong with 14 and so that's what I picked.

I guess others must have thought the same thing. Oh well.

Really interesting results.

elitegimp 10-22-2005 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain the game of mediocrity to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

you and two friends decide to play, so each of you pick a number between 1 and 10 (without sharing what it is). After everyone has a number, you all show what your number was -- the player that picked the middle number (i.e. not the largest and not the smallest) wins.

Example:

Joe picks 4.
John picks 8.
You pick 5.

You win, because 5 is between 4 and 8.

Seems pretty easy to turn into a drinking game, more on that later [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

10-22-2005 05:19 AM

I've played that game, but with no cap, the only restriction is the number has to be positive

It is very interesting, the guesses tend to get larger and larger after every round

zipppy 10-22-2005 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder if there is any significance to the fact that 6 of the smallest 7 unchosen numbers were odd?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah people tend to pick odd numbers more often than even because they look more random to people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, you may want to reread that post, sum.