Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Is Paul Magriel's fame a joke? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362678)

shaniac 10-21-2005 07:19 PM

Is Paul Magriel\'s fame a joke?

Seriously. Is there any way he is in the black on major tournaments?.

Michael C. 10-21-2005 07:24 PM

Re: Is Paul Magriel\'s fame a joke?

He's famous because he's one of the best and most innovative backgammon players ever. I don't think anyone thinks he's really a top notch pro poker player.

Saddlepoint 10-21-2005 07:27 PM

I seem to recall reading that Paul Magriel was one of the Mayfair guys in the late 80s when it was a hot spot for backgammon, that he was a mentor to Seidel and others.

Sponger15SB 10-21-2005 07:29 PM

This guy really needs to get his left nostril shortened.

jck8 10-21-2005 07:42 PM

$ 5,000 No Limit Hold'em - WPT Championship Event
2003 World Poker Challenge, Reno <font color="red"> 4th $ 29,452 </font>

ha

DHamilton97 10-21-2005 08:34 PM

look at this guy , He won the Legends of Poker in the first WPT season. Poor guy, probably another degenerate gambler who can't handle his finances. Playing 75 dollar tournaments and everything, sad. I bet though all the face twitching he does gives away tells galore to the good players.

10-21-2005 09:18 PM

It doesn't really matter too much at all if he is in the black in major tournaments. Magriel is one of, if not the best backgammon player ever. His book "Backgammon" is to the backgammon world what Super/System is to poker. He has made serioius cash before becoming a poker pro, and his time in poker is simply a quest to conquer another game involving a mix of skill and luck.

Army Eye 10-21-2005 09:25 PM

Haven't heard much from this kid.. wonder if he quit.

sternroolz 10-21-2005 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't heard much from this kid.. wonder if he quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did not quit. But he does not play like someone who won a few hundred grand. He went on to finish school. He still plays in Los Angeles card clubs. But at levels equivalent to what he might be able to afford had he not won the money. Smart kid if you ask me.

Bright enough to recognize that he got lucky, and is not good enough(yet) to consistently win at that level.

bud05 10-22-2005 03:11 AM

As it refers to poker? He's nothing really special as of yet, if I was seated with him at a table, I'm not gonna be estatic about it, he's far from a donkey at nl hold 'em.. his math skills seem to be a crutch he leans on quite a bit, but said math skills are very very strong.

As it refers to backgammon, Magriel is the man.