Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Who likes Bellande ? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296600)

Morpheus 07-20-2005 04:42 AM

Who likes Bellande ?

Watched the 2005 WSOP 1st event or whatever the hell it is. Bellande was pretty funny. I hated him for the first 5 minutes because I didn't understand him but now I like him.

-Skeme- 07-20-2005 04:43 AM

Re: Who likes Bellande ?

I hated him at first, but then he said some funny stuff. He's cool. Jen is hilarious, though.

rokstedy 07-20-2005 04:44 AM

Don't know if I'm a fan yet, but I didn't hate him.

einbert 07-20-2005 04:47 AM

I thought he was fun to watch. If it hadn't been for him this final table might have been quite boring to sit through.

I rarely just 'hate' a poker character though.

Durs522 07-20-2005 04:50 AM

He's okay on TV I guess, however in real life I think he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Durs

rheaume 07-20-2005 04:50 AM

re: to topic

His mother.

uh, that last hand of his, all in with the fours and gutshot, brilliant. a fitting way to end his run i thought.

einbert 07-20-2005 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's okay on TV I guess, however in real life I think he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Durs

[/ QUOTE ]

Would definitely be annoying to play poker with him. I felt really bad for Macey, the guy he sat directly to the left of at the beginning.

From the comfort of my sofa, though, definitely entertaining.

Morpheus 07-20-2005 05:01 AM

He reminded me of "The Rock" . He was so blatantly inappropriate. I enjoyed it.

edgarciajr 07-20-2005 05:03 AM

He was awful. As a regular brick and mortar player, I can only imagine how many idiots are now going to come in and act like him. Great. I hope Bellanda is forgotten faster than pet rocks!

Smoothcall 07-20-2005 05:06 AM

Very entertaining! But a di**. He can care less about being respectful and being a gentleman. In fact wanted to be a di**. He was successful. But agian i did enjoy watching him. Kinda like a hellmuth but in a different way. But i also get a vibe away from the table he's not as obnoxiois and full of himself like a hellmtuh(i think bellande does it more to put people on tilt and get people off there game, but is not genuinely a di** like hellmuth probably is). At least in the manner of thinking he's a star and his fans are beneath him like hellmuth. He may be arrogant but more in a way like he thinks he's a stud. Did that make sense?

jdock99 07-20-2005 05:36 AM

I used to like Bellande a lot a few years ago when he was playing live mid-limit poker, mostly omaha hi-low, and I guarantee all the regular players in the games back then had a wide smile on their face anytime he sat down in their game. Apparently he is a tournament star now. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.

zuluking 07-20-2005 06:42 AM

Jean-Robert Bellande is good for poker. Imagine how many wanna-bees will watch him and come into a B&M to play poker. Discuss...

Howard Treesong 07-20-2005 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very entertaining! But a di**. He can care less about being respectful and being a gentleman. In fact wanted to be a di**. He was successful. But agian i did enjoy watching him. Kinda like a hellmuth but in a different way. But i also get a vibe away from the table he's not as obnoxiois and full of himself like a hellmtuh(i think bellande does it more to put people on tilt and get people off there game, but is not genuinely a di** like hellmuth probably is). At least in the manner of thinking he's a star and his fans are beneath him like hellmuth. He may be arrogant but more in a way like he thinks he's a stud. Did that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It did (sort of), and I think you're dead-on. In real life, he's got a big personality and isn't afraid to show it; he's not always respectful, but he IS almost always funny. Very entertaining to be around. I for one like him, and have for years.

Smoothcall 07-20-2005 07:00 AM

Yeah i saw some of "Th Rock" in him. Very much actully. Maybe "The Rock" after Vince Mcmahon tells him to go with the bad guys of wrestling for a few months because his good guy image wasnt selling anymore. Did you smell what bellande was cookin?! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

benneh 07-20-2005 07:07 AM

hellmuth doesnt seem like a guyu whos a dick away from the table.

bellande either.

Smoothcall 07-20-2005 08:09 AM

He does to me. He walks around the poker room like he's a movie star. And only aknowleges the people "in his world" Top tourney players. I mean may be being a little harsh and he's not the perspon i think he is. Although when he was on the set of "tilt" Michael Madsen said Phil was much more obnoxious and full of himslef than any hollywood actor that he has ever met. Or something to that effect. That and i can't remember ever seing him shaking hands with a fan who just wanted a moment of his time. I'm sure he has beofre but i can't remember one time. But have seen many of the top players do this. Greg Raymer always stops almost to a fault to shake hands and talk for a moment with his fans. I feel for him he walks in the room and he has to shake hands and talk with like 5 people before he walks 5 feet. Daniel does as well. Cris Ferguson and many other do as well. But i can't rmember Phil H doing this. But once the camera comes on Phil is everywhere to ham up the camera. And i'm not saying just because he doesn't shake his fans hands all the time. Its just the whole combination of things that i have heard and seen that make me think unless your in his "inner world" or have a camera in your hand he feels you are beneath him and not worth his time. Jmo and i could be totally wrong. Although Howard treesong said i was dead on when describing bellerde. I'm not sure if he meant i was dead on about phil also or just bellerde. He would probably know better than i.

otnemem 07-20-2005 08:45 AM

Okay, so I guess you can mark me down as the only person who thought Bellande was a tremendous douche. I didn't find him funny at all, but not because he was being a dick. Assholes can be really funny. But he was just annoying and egocentric. He thought he was the [censored] when he clearly was not.

drewjustdrew 07-20-2005 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was awful. As a regular brick and mortar player, I can only imagine how many idiots are now going to come in and act like him. Great. I hope Bellanda is forgotten faster than pet rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was that bad. He just stood out because no one else showed any personality or fired back at him. It gave him a kinda "Rainman" quality where it seemed like he was just rambling to no one even though we knew he was trying to show that he was a big shot. Anyone with half an ounce of intellect could have put him in his place. That would have been good TV. Damn high road!

McGahee 07-20-2005 09:44 AM

Jen is awesome. How lucky is her husband? Do you think he even bothers having a job? I'd probably follow her to every event too; she must get hit on 24/7.

Rosie5 07-20-2005 10:14 AM

he's the anti hellmuth

he has a much better attitude but he's just as annoying. He was a gentlemen but man he talked a lot...

I felt bad for the asian kid, the whole crowd just cheering when you when you lose a hand. Has to be rough

RacersEdge 07-20-2005 10:21 AM

People who can't keep their mouth shut for more than 2 seconds annoy me.

kasey2004 07-20-2005 10:30 AM

I thought he made for good TV and his calls of peoples hands and whatnot were pretty good. all in all i thought he was funny and had a decent attitude.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

TheJunkyardGod 07-20-2005 10:34 AM

I instantly hated him the first 10 minutes into the show. I know espn edited the game to alot of the hands he was playing but I just hated his personality.

But after a while I realized he was actually playing fairly decent poker and making good reads. He even started becoming a humorous personality.

07-20-2005 11:15 AM

It's so totally an act that I found it entertaining. At the table it'd probably drive me crazy. You could see flashes of sincerity in things, like his compliments/respect for Jen. The time where he berated his own play. The time where he started a little "John-Robert" mini-chant, looked around and said "No?" and smiled.

Soul Daddy 07-20-2005 11:17 AM

I can't think of a more entertaining player to watch, and I normally can't stand the attention whores.

beekeeper 07-20-2005 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hated him at first, but then he said some funny stuff. Jen is hilarious, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM 07-20-2005 12:44 PM

He and Matusow might make a good pair.

Bulldog 07-20-2005 01:33 PM

I was hoping whomever knocked him out would say, "You're no Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer has championship rings!"

bobhalford 07-20-2005 01:58 PM

I didn't like him at the beginning and he didn't grow on me at the end. He's got an overinflated ego and doesn't seem to understand that in order to protect himself from looking like a complete fool, he has to play perfect poker. I was pleased to seem him get knocked out after he spent the whole time believing he was going to win the thing.

27offsuit 07-20-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a pet rock?

27offsuit 07-20-2005 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watched the 2005 WSOP 1st event or whatever the hell it is. Bellande was pretty funny. I hated him for the first 5 minutes because I didn't understand him but now I like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking I would've called him out on his beanie and the fact that he is obviously balding......if he busted my balls, that is.

drewjustdrew 07-20-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking I would've called him out on his beanie and the fact that he is obviously balding......if he busted my balls, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. now that's good tv

smoovee 07-20-2005 03:17 PM

i thought he was gonna bust out with some french rap

James Lang 07-20-2005 03:18 PM

He definitely reminded of The Rock as well as the brother from Everybody Loves raymond (his face at least). He wasn't as annoying in the 2nd episode.

Nottom 07-20-2005 03:24 PM

He grew on me. He wasn't nearly as annoying as they were making him out to be.

Harman seems to think he was funny, and even Ivey cracked a smile once or twice.

Duke 07-20-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jen is awesome. How lucky is her husband? Do you think he even bothers having a job? I'd probably follow her to every event too; she must get hit on 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her husband cashed in 50,000 world series events. I think that's his job.

~D

mwilli31 07-20-2005 03:38 PM

Pretty arrogant and annoying IMO. I did like the comment Jen made though when he said something like "Must be nice knowing you're clearly the best player at the table" and she turned it around with "You must have a pretty big ego." I was drinking, exact dialogue a little hazy.

10-20Jerome 07-20-2005 03:51 PM

He has bad attiude of the table as well. Ive seen him at serval events and the guy is a jerk. To cocky and sometimes outright rude. I never thought about the effect he will have on poker now. As one poster brought up this point, can you imagine wantabe Bellandes runnning around you local cardroom! All that aside if he gets a huge stack early in the events you whole stack is at risk evertime you come in.
Wild aggersive player, but should work on his people skills.
I think we might have to deal with this guy for a while though. He has a source of income coming from some where (parents probably) and hes not scared to gamble. Thats a combo for lots of strong tourney runs. By the way......I wish my turn would hurry up and get here 16 $5000 and up tourneys last year 9 cashes no final tables [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] All a player needs is one win in these events to be set for awhile [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

UATrewqaz 07-20-2005 03:58 PM

I was rooting against him the whole way. There is only 1 of 2 explanations.

1. He's putting on this "act" to get on people's nerves. This is the hallmark of a weak player if you ask me, he's willing to have a bad reputation and people dislike him to gain what he thinks is a small edge.

2. He's not acting and that's his natural personality, which is almost worse. I despise people who can't shut up for 2 seconds. Can't they see they are the only ones talking? Do they actually think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say? I would so Phil Ivey this guy. Imagine 9 players "Ivey'ing" and him being the 10th. He'd be more flustered by everyone stone faced not reacting or listening to a damn word he said.

PS.

3. I think he's consciously trying to be like the Rock (ala WWF/WWE).

10-20Jerome 07-20-2005 04:07 PM

Jesus Christ Matasow and him at the same table...........somebodys getting ejected [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]