Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I Just Called to Say How Much I Care (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387573)

MLG 11-29-2005 12:32 PM

I Just Called to Say How Much I Care

Time for some more hand reading fun. This hand happened in the second level level of this sundays 700k on Stars.

UTG with 2130 opens for 90. He has done some weird things, including betting 700 into a 200 pot at one point. UTG+1 calls the 90 with 2535 behinf. He's pretty decent, but probably slightly too loose. He also likes to call flop raises and cr all-in on the turn (even if his hand isnt quite strong enough to merit it). I call with a couple of cards UTG+2 and 2015. I've been fairly active at the table so far, but haven't seen showdown too often. Fairly nondescript button comes along with 2565. He has overplayed a couple of hands, but not really in a bad manner. BB also tags along with 1990. I have no idea about him. Oh, you won't need all that info, but I'm just putting you in my head preflop (although I'm not letting you see my cards).

Anyway, flop comes Q53 all diamonds. UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, and I bet 240 into the 450 pot. Only UTG, the initial raiser calls. I find this check call odd. Turn is the 7s. UTG checks, I bet 730. UTG calls. River pairs the 30. UTG checks yet again. I push for 1045. Ranges for me and ranges for UTG to call with and fold with.

betgo 11-29-2005 12:42 PM

Re: I Just Called to Say How Much I Care

What is your hand? Or are you bluffing and the cards don't matter? The play is loose enough this early that I wouldn't generally be going allin with nothing.

MLG 11-29-2005 12:45 PM

The point is for you to decide on the range of hands that I could push with and some frequency, and then decide what range of hands UTG should be calling me with. I didn't forget to include my hand.

Toro 11-29-2005 01:00 PM

With villian checking the river, I can't put him on a flush or full house. Almost everyone who might have been slow playing out of postion would now bet out.

So I think he has TPTK with a flush draw and that's what you got to beat. So I think you can bet with any hand that beats that and he just might feel the pot is too big to fold and might pay you off.

Apathy 11-29-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point is for you to decide on the range of hands that I could push with and some frequency, and then decide what range of hands UTG should be calling me with. I didn't forget to include my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q, a flush, or a set (4 of a kind on river as well).

he should call with anything that beats medium sized flush. I don't know what the opponent has except to say that they almost certaintly played it badly.

jcm4ccc 11-29-2005 01:23 PM

I think you have a speculative hand that you were hoping to flop something big and trap UTG and UTG+1, given that you had position on them and that they played in such a way that they would pay off big. I don't think you would want to try to bluff these guys off a pot, because they are a bit unpredictable (UTG) or a bit of a calling station (UTG+1).

So 22-99, suited connectors, probably two Broadways that have some potential is your range. Something that you might not normally call for a raise in this position.

You like the flop, and you are not trying to take down the pot right now, as your bet is not that strong. However, your bet does give incorrect odds for someone to call with the flush draw. So I don't think you are working on the flush draw (or else you are giving yourself a mathematically incorrect bet if someone calls you).

I also don't think you have top pair (or you would have bet stronger). I don't think you have two pair, since the board isn't really conducive to that. No straight or straight draw either. So the only thing I can come up with is a set.

The turn doesn't change my mind. The river pairs the 3, which makes me think you have a set of 5s. Possibly the quad 3s.

As for UTG, he will call your river push with any flush or straight. He may fold top pair, as the 3 pairing on the board might scare him a bit. Then again, he might put you on a bluff and call.

His calls are strange and seem to be either trapping or chasing. One hand that makes sense is the nut flush, which he is obviously slowplaying. A lower flush does not make sense, because he would want to raise the flop in order to protect against someone drawing out with the A of diamonds.

A straight is possible, but even stranger (he would have raised UTG with 46o). So I'm guessing the nut flush if he calls you, and a draw that he was chasing (A of diamonds and another card) if he folds.

adanthar 11-29-2005 01:30 PM

I've gotta run so I'll be brief.

Your range on the flop: a naked Ad, 64s (not diamonds), Ad + a pair, set, Q + a decent diamond (Ad-KdQx, QxJd), possibly a queen/no diamond or 53 but I doubt those

His range: big diamond, set, queen, overpair with no diamond

None of those change at all by the river, except that I think your turn bet is a value bet rather than a bluff so the naked ace is probably out.

The worst hand you can have with that river push is probably AQ or an occasional bluff. The problem is that the second worst is 64. Given that, I think he can call with any flush, but has to fold the queens (on the turn, because he should know a push is probably coming on the river after that bet/remaining stack sizes, but he doesn't because he's an idiot.) If he has AA...I dunno, he's stupid but gave himself odds good enough to snap some bluffs off.

11-29-2005 01:33 PM

think your pushing anything (air?) just from villains actions. Villain looks to be on a flush draw or a pocket pair with a flush draw. At the river, villain puts you on similar hand. Based on the way you say he has played to this point and the fact that you state you have been "fairly active", villain calls with minimum TPTK, if he has been playing an under pair with a diamond (which looks possible), then he is a total donk to make this river call. Depending on your "fairly active" previous plays, villain may have even slow played the river also, knowing you would bet out.

citanul 11-29-2005 01:34 PM

for your range, i'd say AdQ, a set (maybe even quads now), a flush, AdAx, KdKx, and the far less likely KdQx. even though you're you, i don't want to allow you to have 53 in this spot.

I don't think you can have other pairs because i don't think you'd push the river i you somehow got there with TT-88 or whatnot. I don't give you much % bluffihood here because you bet in to a LOT of players on the flop. it's a scary board and all but i don't think you think you can take it down on the flop that often. also, you're going to get the wonderful checkraise all-in on the flop by basically any made flush and most Ad if they're out there, so either you know this and are courting it both for "information's" sake and to get more money in the pot when you're not in this spot, or i'm missing something. other hands that you could have had i just don't think you could possibly bet on the river, since you've got to be thinking he's calling by then, i think.

your opponent, well, whatever he has he played it horribly, unless he knew you so well that he was getting you to 3 barrel him with the worst hand. i don't think that's likely.

with the odds i want to put on your range, i'd guess that the calling hands he has to have here on the end is: any full house, any flush probably Jd high or better? maybe some slightly smaller flushes. and quads, yeah, quads would be good.

i can't see your opponent playing any of those hands in the way this hand went down and it having been a good way of playing it though, and like i said, i can't see him playing anything in this way and it being well played. i want to say he's got something like AdQx himself here very often.

c

Punker 11-29-2005 02:14 PM

Your range: strong - you are not drawing. You note that he likes to checkraise all in on the turn, so you're probably not sitting there with a dry ace opening the action for him on the turn to do this and leave you to call your stack with nothing and one to come. I'm thinking you must have a queen here at the bare minimum, but I suspect even stronger.

His range: If he can't beat KQ he should certainly fold. It seems very unlikely given the way the hand played that he has an overpair. Given how the hand played, my only guess is that he flopped the nut/nearnut flush and is trapping you. I expect he would have to call with it, but I think its only about 50-50 as to whether it's good or not.

LearnedfromTV 11-29-2005 02:15 PM

Checkcalling twice feels a lot like Ad, maybe with a pair. I don't think you can expect a call very often on the river, maybe from AA or AQ. As someone else said, a slowplayed hand will usually bet the river. So the fact that you bet the river anyway tells me you have a very strong hand or (very unlikely) a three barrel bluff. I imagine you would often check the turn or make a smaller flush-pricing bet with a boat or quads so I think a small flush is more likely.

Until the river I would include JJ-66 in your range, charging the diamond, but the river push then becomes a bluff to try to get AdQ or AdA/KdK to fold. I don't think you get that fold often enough to justify bluffing when you have a hand with showdown value.

Edit: I like this kind of thread. Keep them coming.

woodguy 11-29-2005 02:36 PM

You lead out into a family monochrome pot against at least 1 player who likes to be tricky, so you have value, not a draw that you can be pushed off.

Villian calls: Nut flush or AA with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], small flush, set, pair and a diamond.

Turn: doesn't change much and you bet again.

You still have value and now your raise is stronger, so I have to put you on a made medium flush or a set, or TP good [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] kicker

Him: calling again!?!?!?!....Either nut flush or doesn't know what to do with AxA[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

River pairs the board-

He checks - same hands, if he has the nut flush he was spooked by the board pairing and is looking for a cheap showdown or may have given up with AxA[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

You - Push -hmmmmmm, I really don't think you push less than a boat here as he has played just like the nut flush, unless you have a rocksolid read he won't make the crying call.

You have a boat or quads and are tyring to maximize value.

I can't see you having a medium flush here and expecting a worse hand to call, pushing this river with a medium flush is huge -EV, no worse hand calls, and expecting a better hand to fold is too optimistic

I can't see you having a hand worse than a flush and expect a flush to fold....

I always get these wrong.

Regards,
Woodguy

11-29-2005 02:44 PM

This early in the tourney, you could have a wide range of hands that you would call a moderate raise with preflop: any pp (22 thru 99), and some suited connectors (T9, JT, QJ, KQ and maybe even 45, 56). Any monster hands would reraise (AA/KK/QQ/AKs). I'm not sure how you would play TT, JJ or AQ - I could make an argument for both smooth calling and raising. If UTG was decent, he has a narrower range for raising OOP, perhaps AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK/AQ suited or not. If he's a donk, then perhaps he's raising with air.

Your half pot bet on the flop could be a probe bet. It was checked to you so you may be sensing weakness. With only the button to act after you, the bet would clear out some of the field.

Your range now could include KQ, QJ, 55, 33, and maybe some medium pp's if your read is that no one has a Q or flush. UTG's check could mean a monster wanting to be paid (Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x offsuit that's looking to draw. He did not make a continuation bet which may or may not mean anything.

On the turn with only one opponent that checks to you, you make a 3/4 pot bet, hoping to take it down now.

Your range still is KQ, QJ, 55, 33, and medium pp's. UTG's checkcall could feels more like a draw A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x offsuit. If he had the monster, there's no reason to conceal it since your now heads up. I think he would have checkraised if he had the flush or a set.

The river fills up anyone that had a set. UTG checks to you which means he's hoping you'll check it down to. If he had a real hand, he would value bet it.

Since you pushed, I don't think you filled up. If you did, you might have gone for a smaller value bet (unless UTG was a total donk that felt pot committed.) Your range is now KQ, QJ, and medium pp's with a semibluff in position.

UTG needs to have the flush (doubtful from turn and river play) or at least top pair to call.

Final analysis on hand ranges:

UTG - Folds all hands except flush or top pair.

MLG - AQ, KQ, QJ, possibly 55, 33 (doubtful), and perhaps 99-JJ.

John

LearnedfromTV 11-29-2005 03:10 PM

Dammit. Too late to edit. In my post earlier I was thinking the board paired on the turn. So strike that line about the turn bet being smaller if you had a set. I think a set that fills up on the river is more likely given the correct info.

rwanger 11-29-2005 03:14 PM

You: 55 or 33. You'd reraise pf with AA, KK, QQ. You'd also have checked behind on the turn if you were drawing to a big flush (with an AQ type hand) because he will only call your turn bet if he has you beat, and you'd rather have a free shot at the flush if behind. Plus, if you're drawing and have a Q, giving him a free card isn't going to hurt much. You woudn't fear the board pairing on the river, because if he happens to have QQ there is no way he folds no matter how you play it.

Villian: AdQx, AdAx, KdKx. KdQx is possible also. He probably thought he had the best hand, but had a huge draw anyway, so he was letting you bet for him. On the river you're not going to call with a hand worse than his pair of queens (if he were to set you all in), so he checks, unsure of his move if you push.

I hope he decided to call you on the river.

woodguy 11-29-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because he will only call your turn bet if he has you beat, and you'd rather have a free shot at the flush if behind. Plus, if you're drawing and have a Q

[/ QUOTE ]

He can call with a draw that's behind, and if you check the turn you may induce a bluff you cannot call on the river.

Regards,
Woodguy

MLG 11-29-2005 03:51 PM

The guy who likes to CR the turn is UTG+1, he folded the flop. Sorry for the confusion.

rwanger 11-29-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He can call with a draw that's behind, and if you check the turn you may induce a bluff you cannot call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm....maybe. However, unless he's going to overbet the pot on a bluff, you can call easily since it's the same sized bet you were going to make yourself on the turn.

MLG 11-29-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Him: calling again!?!?!?!....Either nut flush or doesn't know what to do with AxA

[/ QUOTE ]

If a villain makes a play that makes me go !?!?!?!?!? I almost never put them on as narrow a range as you just did.

locutus2002 11-29-2005 05:44 PM

I like villain for 99-JJ with a diamond. (9 hands).

When villain calls 1/3 of his chips at the turn he is commiting to the pot, and doesn't know whether he is ahead or behind. I think he would have asserted a Q++ (or better) earlier, especially if he had a diamond to go with it. I don't like villain's turn call if he has a pure draw like AdKx, then its not clear how many outs he has (some may be used, some may not be clean) It's also not clear whether villain will get paid off OOP if he makes his hand. With a medium PP Villain should call down 100% of the time on this river after calling the turn.

Hero's range:

Hero would probably reraise/squeeze BTF if he had a big hand against the loose UTG+1 call.

I think he has a more speculative holding like small connecting cards/gappers: consistent with hero being active. My crude range is:

15 ways 2 small pair w/ busted flush; busted str8
15 ways Flush
15 ways str8
15 ways set++
15 ways 2,4 (nothing)

Given hero's aggressive proclivities, he is capable of pushing the entire range.

MLG 11-29-2005 05:51 PM

there's a chunk of the range you are suggesting (and im not necessarily agreeing with that range) that I would basically never push on the river.

woodguy 11-29-2005 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a villain makes a play that makes me go !?!?!?!?!? I almost never put them on as narrow a range as you just did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I'm not good at this.

I really don't know what hand calls off 1/2 his stack with plenty of opportunity to raise unless he doesn't want you to leave the pot, ie. the nuts. Every non-nut hand has a reason to raise on this board, and he doesn't.....unless he has a broadway non-nut flush and is *hoping* you have the nut draw and is waiting to see the river, but his river check doesn't fit into that theory.....I'm lost

My lack of imagination is one of my biggest problems with this game.

Regards,
Woodguy

11-29-2005 06:00 PM

Haven't read any replies yet...

Anyways, I think you might have a very good hand. I think you would have bet more if you had a lesser flush made on the flop so I think you might have 55. You hit a set on the flop and filled up on the river. You might have the nut flush too. I think villan has the naked ace of diamonds and folded to your push. He might have AK/AQ, again with the A a diamond. He would fold if her had that. If he was slow rolling the AKd/AQd flopped flush he would have called you and I think you would have won with your boat.

Now to see how I did.

MLG 11-29-2005 06:02 PM

I aint imagination your lacking, its the ability to dumb themselves down. People dont raise with a set because "they are afraid of the flush," or they dont bet/raise with Ad because "they don't want to stake their lives on just a draw, or they call with black jacks because, "I have Jacks," so on and so forth.

Prime Time 11-29-2005 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time for some more hand reading fun. This hand happened in the second level level of this sundays 700k on Stars.

UTG with 2130 opens for 90. He has done some weird things, including betting 700 into a 200 pot at one point. UTG+1 calls the 90 with 2535 behinf. He's pretty decent, but probably slightly too loose. He also likes to call flop raises and cr all-in on the turn (even if his hand isnt quite strong enough to merit it). I call with a couple of cards UTG+2 and 2015. I've been fairly active at the table so far, but haven't seen showdown too often. Fairly nondescript button comes along with 2565. He has overplayed a couple of hands, but not really in a bad manner. BB also tags along with 1990. I have no idea about him. Oh, you won't need all that info, but I'm just putting you in my head preflop (although I'm not letting you see my cards).

Anyway, flop comes Q53 all diamonds. UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, and I bet 240 into the 450 pot. Only UTG, the initial raiser calls. I find this check call odd. Turn is the 7s. UTG checks, I bet 730. UTG calls. River pairs the 30. UTG checks yet again. I push for 1045. Ranges for me and ranges for UTG to call with and fold with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the clue is that you were surprised by the ceck/call flop. This leads me to believe that you had the nut or 2nd nut flush. He could have KK w/ the diamond.

The other option is you flopped a set of 5's, and he kept you around w/ the flush.

MLG 11-29-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the clue is that you were surprised by the ceck/call flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I meant by that was that the check call confused me because it didnt really jive with many hands i had in his preflop range.

gergery 11-29-2005 06:43 PM

His UTG raise, then call, call line feels like bigpair/TP with diamond played weakly, or AK/AQ/AJ w/ flushdraw. I don’t think he has a set/twopair. Since there is 2300 in the pot and you push 1000 in I think you have to expect an overpair to call frequently.

I don’t think you bluff into 4 opponents, you’d have raised QQpreflop, wouldn’t have called with two pair preflop, and would likely check behind with KQ, QJ, QT. So I see any made flush, 55,33, AQ, Ad3x and maybe 7d7x or 53 as your range here.

He should call with any flush/boat and maybe trips, maybe overpair

-g

11-29-2005 06:45 PM

Ok, im going to give this one a try. I have been viewing everyones thoughts and felt I agreed with them at first that you had the boat, however, after re-reading your post I really feel like you flopped a medium flush, giving villian incorrect odds on the turn to shut out the Naked Ace of diamonds or any other diamond he was drawing too. The range I give UTG gun is AQ with the ace of diamonds, or TT-AA with a lone diamond. Assuming an underpair is more likely the way he played it, so lets say TT or JJ with a diamond praying it was good. I dont suspect villian has a set, because I feel he would have played it much faster leading the flop with the 3 diamonds on the board.

MLG 11-29-2005 07:32 PM

Results

Ok here we go. I had 56 of spades. Preflop the call is ok, so is a fold. Here's what I saw on the flop. Preflop raiser checks, this seems like a give-up to me (or going for a cr with a big hand). Aggresive tricky player checks, and I think he bets the majority of the time here if he likes his hand. So, I actually think I have a pretty good chance to pick up the pot here. Plus I really want the button to fold here so I can play the rest of the hand in position. Well the button folds as planned, but the original raiser calls. WTF!? So its HU to the turn. He checks again, and now I try to put him on a hand. My gut says a badly played AK+flush draw or JJ/1010+flush draw. Still a chance he's being weird and slowplaying I guess, and also a chance of AQ /AA/KKwith or without hearts. Generally though I think he leads the flop with those, as he isn't really tricky. So I decide to fire again. Once again he calls. Well if he was slowplaying I doubt he's calling again there when it looks like I'm pretty committed to the pot. So the river blanks and he checks what i think is a missed draw 1 more time. Time to get him to fold JJ/1010/99 and hopefully maybe AQ/KQ although I doubt he's good enough to fold those. Then again I just dont see him checking any hand better than JJ on the flop. The fact is that its generally hard for me to be bluffing, but every once in a blue moon if you show up with air here it protects the vast vast majority of time when you have the flush or full house (which is generally what I'd play this way).

jcm4ccc 11-29-2005 07:38 PM

Re: Results

If you weren't such a good player and vastly superior to me, I would say that your play in this hand sucked.

You are trying to get an idiot to fold who has basically shown that he is incapable of folding. If he folded, I think you got lucky.

MLG 11-29-2005 07:45 PM

where has he shown he's incapable of folding?

SossMan 11-29-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok here we go. I had 56 of spades. Preflop the call is ok, so is a fold. Here's what I saw on the flop. Preflop raiser checks, this seems like a give-up to me (or going for a cr with a big hand). Aggresive tricky player checks, and I think he bets the majority of the time here if he likes his hand. So, I actually think I have a pretty good chance to pick up the pot here. Plus I really want the button to fold here so I can play the rest of the hand in position. Well the button folds as planned, but the original raiser calls. WTF!? So its HU to the turn. He checks again, and now I try to put him on a hand. My gut says a badly played AK+flush draw or JJ/1010+flush draw. Still a chance he's being weird and slowplaying I guess, and also a chance of AQ /AA/KKwith or without hearts. Generally though I think he leads the flop with those, as he isn't really tricky. So I decide to fire again. Once again he calls. Well if he was slowplaying I doubt he's calling again there when it looks like I'm pretty committed to the pot. So the river blanks and he checks what i think is a missed draw 1 more time. Time to get him to fold JJ/1010/99 and hopefully maybe AQ/KQ although I doubt he's good enough to fold those. Then again I just dont see him checking any hand better than JJ on the flop. The fact is that its generally hard for me to be bluffing, but every once in a blue moon if you show up with air here it protects the vast vast majority of time when you have the flush or full house (which is generally what I'd play this way).

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I don't think he's folding any queen. There are only 6 combos of red 99-JJ that this bet is trying to fold. There are a ton more combos of hands that you have showdown value against w/out having to risk 1k chips to drag the pot.
If you are trying to get shania value out of playing 56s this way, wouldn't you want to check, not bet?

jcm4ccc 11-29-2005 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well, you certainly put him to the ultimate test.

I think a better question to you is, where has he shown that he's capable of folding?

Also, I don't get this part of your explanation:

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that its generally hard for me to be bluffing, but every once in a blue moon if you show up with air here it protects the vast vast majority of time when you have the flush or full house (which is generally what I'd play this way).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you show your hand to the table after he folded? That's the only way I see of getting any benefit out of this.

MLG 11-29-2005 07:51 PM

The shania value is really in the turn bet. also, its 9 combos of those hands. also, I have a really hard time putting him on a Q here which is the whole reason I bet the turn at all.

nolanfan34 11-29-2005 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well, you certainly put him to the ultimate test.

I think a better question to you is, where has he shown that he's capable of folding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very valid question. After he calls you on the flop and turn, I just question the likelihood of him laying down here.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't get this part of your explanation:

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that its generally hard for me to be bluffing, but every once in a blue moon if you show up with air here it protects the vast vast majority of time when you have the flush or full house (which is generally what I'd play this way).

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you show your hand to the table after he folded? That's the only way I see of getting any benefit out of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering this as well. Shania doesn't help if you're on the rail. I just don't think you're going to run into the same people often enough to risk all of your chips like this.

For me, this is the type of hand that I always try to play, and I make moves like this, and after the fact, when I get called by AQ or whatever, I wonder what the heck I was doing in the hand in the first place.

And one last thing. You mentioned in your read that this guy had done some weird stuff, like bet 700 into a 200 pot, etc. I just question whether those types of players are ones that you can really count on making a "correct" laydown to constant pressure.

SossMan 11-29-2005 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The shania value is really in the turn bet. also, its 9 combos of those hands. also, I have a really hard time putting him on a Q here which is the whole reason I bet the turn at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no shania value if you don't show your hand, right? Maybe i'm misinterpreting your usage. oh, yeah, 9 combos, i suck at math.

MLG 11-29-2005 08:13 PM

Some good points all around. First of all and maybe this is a read thing, but my general reaction to players like this is that they dont understand pot odds at all, that doesnt mean they dont think about what other players have. So the fact that he's getting laid such a big price on the river doesnt play into him deciding to call with JJ or whatever. Obviously I very very rarely make a play like this. Also, I didn't intend to fire a 3 barrel bluff, rather I thought that each bet I made had a enough likelihood of not getting called to justify it.

Given the range I have him on (very unlikely for a Q) I don't really need to have knowledge that he can make a big laydown. I just need to know that he isnt an unbelievably bad calling station who will call with 99/1010/JJ.

As for shania, the idea that it either only helps you if your called, or that it doesnt help you from the rail is off base. Shania is not about individual hands, or individual opponents, its about how you build your game. If the above were true we should never bluff all-in because the times we are called it does us no good and the times we aren't called it does us no good. That deserves its own thread though. Here though its ok to say that most posters assumed that I would be bluffing some small percentage of the time, this hand just happened to be that small percentage. One last thing. Did I get lucky that he folded this time? Absolutely, but how often does he have to fold a hand that's beating me to make this bluff right on the river?

gergery 11-29-2005 09:19 PM

Interesting. I would not think this is a good place to try this bluff. I think there are too many 1-diamond type hands that can call til the river so you you’ll need to risk lots of chips (and, [cue the scary music]…your tournament life!), and some stubborn TP type hands that disbelieve since they can more easily put you on a 1-diamond semi-bluff than on a made flush. Especially since many people like to slowplay made flushes (so he could easily expect you to slowplay).

I also think that if he has a Q he’ll call for only another 1k, but if he doesn’t you have a good chance of winning (if he has say vs. AJ w 1 diamond)

Good hand. Remind me not to get put at your tourney table.

-g

ActionJeff 11-29-2005 09:31 PM

I saw this hand as it went down. Saw you, Rob Mizrachi and a friend of mine at the table, and railed it for a while.

You had me fooled! I had a feeling you would fire that flop with a pretty wide range, but the way the hand played out I thought it was very likely you flopped a small flush. FYI, when he checked the river you shoved it in REALLY quickly.NH.

MLG 11-29-2005 09:34 PM

yeah, there was a weak spot or two, but on the who that was a tough table, and robert was giving me fits.