Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Curtains hand 1: boring pre-flop question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404514)

45suited 12-24-2005 06:18 AM

Curtains hand 1: boring pre-flop question

Sorry guys, I promise that my 'Curtains' posts will get more interesting. But this simple hand made me ask this: Is this the difference between an 800 and a 1000 chip game? If it was level two (in an 800 chip game) and I had 850 chips with QJs in the CO, I would just muck it rather than commit ~90 chips pre-flop.

Thoughts on this? Are you giving up much if you folded here, even in a 1000 chip game?

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2208)
UTG+1 (t987)
MP1 (t720)
MP2 (t2095)
Hero (t1065)
Button (t730)
SB (t1030)
BB (t1165)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t85</font>, Button calls t85, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t215) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>

pergesu 12-24-2005 06:20 AM

Re: Curtains hand 1: boring pre-flop question

Nah, I don't play it there either.

Tweetle 12-24-2005 06:22 AM

QJs is a very playable hand, especially in late position. Don't be afraid to get a few chips in the middle. If you whiff the flop and get bet into or checkraised be willing to let it go if necessary.

45suited 12-24-2005 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QJs is a very playable hand, especially in late position. Don't be afraid to get a few chips in the middle. If you whiff the flop and get bet into or checkraised be willing to let it go if necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know it's playable, but I wouldn't commit 90 chips with it from the CO in an 800 chipper. Is this the type of adjustment that has to be made in a 1000 chip game?

Tweetle 12-24-2005 06:26 AM

I play as tight as the next guy early on. However, in the 800 chip SNGs I still very confident even if I'm around 600 chips. If I raise a few preflop and whiff then so be it. I love suited broadway cards and will commit chips to play them.

Bluff Daddy 12-24-2005 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know it's playable, but I wouldn't commit 90 chips with it from the CO in an 800 chipper. Is this the type of adjustment that has to be made in a 1000 chip game?

[/ QUOTE ]

well you obviously dont have to commit 90 chips to this hand, if im 8 tabling 22/33's im folding this hand without even thinking about it but im sure theres good arguments for raising or calling

Bluff Daddy 12-24-2005 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play as tight as the next guy early on. However, in the 800 chip SNGs I still very confident even if I'm around 600 chips. If I raise a few preflop and whiff then so be it. I love suited broadway cards and will commit chips to play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha this is terrible advice

12-24-2005 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. Do you see why?

Tweetle 12-24-2005 06:34 AM

I'm glad you have mastered the one way to win at poker Bluff Daddy. I just hope the rest of the players on Party fold suited broadways as much as you.

Bluff Daddy 12-24-2005 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad you have mastered the one way to win at poker Bluff Daddy. I just hope the rest of the players on Party fold suited broadways as much as you.

[/ QUOTE ]

as I said in my other post im sure there are good arguments for anyway you want to play qj suited but I dont think saying raise a few preflop and whiff is the best advise. Dont worry there are plenty of players on party willing to call of their stacks on Q high flush draws in level 2