Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   So I Kicked an Old Lady to the Curb Tonite (long) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400074)

WLVRYN 12-17-2005 01:49 AM

So I Kicked an Old Lady to the Curb Tonite (long)

Sorry for the length, but I have to get this off my chest.

We hosted a dinner tonite for 3 other couples and their kids for the kids to exchange gifts and decorate Christmas cookies, and for the adults to hang out, drink and bitch about the Lions. Each couple has two kids ranging from 4 months to 4 years old (ours are 2.5 and 5 months).

While we were getting ready earlier tonite, one of our friends calls and asks if it would be OK if they brought their grandma who decided to come to visit a day earlier than planned. Now this is the type of lady who has no filter between her brain and her mouth, especially as it relates to parenting/kid issues. She constantly comments about having better ways to raise kids, cook, keep your house and generally live your life (including to my buddy and his wife). We've had dinner with her a couple of times in the past, and while I'm generally a pretty laid back guy, I hate this old hag. I've talked to my buddy about my dislike of her (its his wife's grandmother) in the past, and he can barely tolerate her, nor can the wife, but they are her only family (the wife's mom died two years ago). My wife is a softie and says fine since otherwise she'd be at their house all by herself.

Fast forward to tonite, and before dinner, we had some chips and salsa and cheese and crackers for appetizers. Not knowing that she has a restricted diet (and also not knowing that she would be there), we didnt have any appetizers that fit her dietary "needs". She proceeds to tell us about a dinner party that she hosted where she ran to the store 10 minutes before dinner was to be served because someone was allergic to something she was serving, because that's what good hosts do. I'm starting to get pissed at this point, but whatever, its Christmas and I'm in a jolly mood (except for the Lions sucking). At the same time, we offer her a glass of wine, but apparently she's a wine snob and our Kendall Jackson isnt good enough for her. She says "Do you have any bottles of wine that cost more than $10? No? Hmpf, I'll have water." My mood is souring and I'm about to kill Grandma and my friends at this point, but I let it go.

While we were appetizing, we had the kids decorate some sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles. Obviously with kids under 4, this becomes a big mess, but the kids are having fun, so whatever. One of the kids (not ours) takes his frosting laden cookie and rubs it in his brother's face (which most of us thought was funny), and Grandma starts commenting to the parents about how they need to teach their kids better manners and she would be embarrased if her kids did that. I immediately shoot a look at my buddy and get him in the other room. I tell him that if he cant get Grandma under control, I'm going to lose it. He promises to have his wife talk to her. Fine, I'm feeling better since I said something now, and hopefully she will be less of a beeyatch for the rest of the night.

We sit down for dinner (pizza and pasta for the adults, hot dogs, PBJ and chicken nuggets for the kids), but again this doesnt mesh with grandma's dietary needs. We end up cooking her a bowl of soup and some crackers because that's all she can find in the pantry that works for her. Again the same story about running out to the store 10 minutes before her dinner party, and I'm getting pissed again.

Dinner progresses nicely otherwise until my 2.5 year old son announces that he's done and wants to get down from his booster to open his presents. We tell him to wait until everyone is finished, but he doesnt like that answer and throws his kid-fork down the table. It ends up near grandma's soup bowl (but doesnt hit it or spill any soup). My wife takes him from the table for a "discussion", and grandma again makes a comment about manners. At this point I had enough, and I tell her "You know what, grandma, he's 2, so we cant expect him to be an angel all the time. I know you think that you were a parent extraordinaire, but I'd really appreciate it if you could keep your comments to yourself." I felt that I needed to say something but didnt want to be totally rude since she was my friends' grandma. I get a nasty sneer and no comment back from her, and the rest of dinner is fine because she doesnt say anything else.

After dinner, we let the kids open their presents. While they were playing, my 2.5 year old takes one of the toys from my buddy's kid (typical kid stuff). Grandma's on the other side of the room and I hear her say to the wife, not too softly I might add since almost everyone stopped, "No wonder that kid is so poorly behaved with the way his father (me) acts".

At this point, I've lost it completely (not to mention I've got 6 beers in me). Without saying a word, I go to the closet and get her purse and coat. I return, toss them on her lap, and say "Get the hell out of my house you ungrateful, rude old bat. We have you over to our house and all you do is insult us and our friends. Here's your stuff, there's the door. Out."

Now she gives me the "I never..." comment and she starts crying, but my buddy grabs the kids, his wife gets grandma and they leave without saying too much else. The rest of the couples had a pretty good laugh about it once they left (since apparently she had commented on everyone at least once that night) and the rest of the night was fine. I felt pretty bad for my friends, but I had enough (and I know that her comments had embarrased my buddy and his wife too) so something needed to be done.

I called my buddy a few minutes ago, and I apologized to him and his wife. He said things were cool with us (and the wife), but grandma went into her room right when they got home and hasnt come out. I'm pretty sure I wont see her again (nor will I apologize to her), but right now I'm not too broken up about it. I so feel like Jihad right now.

Sorry again for the long post, but I had to vent.

J-Lo 12-17-2005 01:55 AM

Re: So I Kicked an Old Lady to the Curb Tonite (long)

o shnap! how awkward was it the first time u told off grandma at the dinner table? What was the next comment made-- did u talk at all after u said what u said? Man that woulda made the dinner hella awkward.

Glenn 12-17-2005 01:57 AM

Well played. That takes balls.

BreakEvenPlayer 12-17-2005 01:59 AM

This is awesome. You did exactly what you should have done at every point in the night. I'm not sure I could have kicked Granny out, but I'm not married with kids and I'm sure there is an extra level of protection you feel towards them which led you to eventually get rid of the lady.

astroglide 12-17-2005 02:01 AM

well worth the read

12-17-2005 02:01 AM

I thought you'd dumped one of your many girlfriends, when I read the thread title.

Nice job with the old bag.

MyTurn2Raise 12-17-2005 02:13 AM

POTD

Doc7 12-17-2005 02:14 AM

Why didn't the adults get chicken nuggets?

WLVRYN 12-17-2005 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
o shnap! how awkward was it the first time u told off grandma at the dinner table? What was the next comment made-- did u talk at all after u said what u said? Man that woulda made the dinner hella awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dinner was pretty quiet after that. Fortunately the other table in the kitchen (we were in the dining room) had finished shortly after and the kids were headed to the family room to open gifts, so we didnt spend too much time sitting there. Since some people were in the kitchen and didnt hear the exchange, my reaction when the kids were opening presents caught a few people off guard though.

ononimo 12-17-2005 02:18 AM

nh, sir.

EMcWilliams 12-17-2005 02:19 AM

You did what needed to be done. I dont take lip from anyone, especially a grandma that is annoying in my own house.

12-17-2005 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well played. That takes balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isura 12-17-2005 02:26 AM

Good story. BTW, the Lions will always suck. I came to that realization 3 years ago and I've been happier since. You should try it.

Doc7 12-17-2005 02:30 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buy-my-NFL-fan-loyal...1QQcmdZViewItem

[ QUOTE ]
For nearly 25 years I have been a loyal Detroit Lions fan. But one fan can only take so much loosing. The 2005 season began with excitement that the franchise had finally built a solid team. However its been proven that solid talent will not give a team a winning season. To recap...

The Lions won their first game against division rival Green Bay (17-3), but were humiliated by the Bears in the second game (38-6). The Lions then lost a close game to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after a seemingly game winning touchdown was reviewed and controversially reversed (17-13). However, the Lions went to 2-2 after a win against the Baltimore Ravens (35-17). After a last-second loss to the Carolina Panthers (21-20), Jeff Garcia was named the starting quarterback, and he led the Lions to a 13-10 win over Cleveland in Week 7. However the Lions went into week 8 and lost to the Bears once again. Garcia threw a heartbreaking interception in OT which the Bears returned for a TD (19-13). The next week, the Lions had high hopes as Joey Harrington was reinserted as the starter vs. the troubled Minnesota Vikings. However the Lions went down early and lost 27-14. The Lions did get a 29-21 win in week 10 against the Arizona Cardinals. However, losses to the Dallas Cowboys, 20-7, and the Atlanta Falcons on Thanksgiving, 27-7, pushed their regular season record to 4-7. As a result, head coach Steve Mariucci was fired a few days later on November 28, and Dick Jauron was named interim head coach. Why Matt Millen was not fired still remains a mystery. After the release of Mariucci, Cornerback Dré Bly, placed the blame on Harrington, saying that "he [Harrington] had been there for 4 years and had not done anything for the team. (finally someone speaks the truth!)" Bly later apologized for his statement. (why apologize for the truth?)

Things only got worse for the Lions. They lost their Week 13 home game to the Minnesota Vikings 27-7 and then dropped to 4-9 with a Week 14 road loss at Lambeau Field in overtime 16-13 to the Green Bay Packers. To loose to a team that was 2-10 just hurts. And now its time for a change...

I'm selling my fan loyalty National Football League fan to the highest bidder.

As the winner of this auction I will become a fan for the NFL team of your choice!

The winning bidder will get to pick my new favorite NFL team. For a term of 2 years I will be a dedicated and loyal fan to the team of your choice. Regardless of their wins or losses I will remain faithful as a fan and cheer under good times and bad. (its can't be any worse than being a Lions fan)

My promise to the winner of this auction naming my new favorite NFL team is:

* I'll watch televised games and cheer proudly for my new favorite team
* I will discuss my new team with co workers after the Sunday or Monday game (regardless win/ loose)
* Any and all NFL apparel I purchase will now be that of my new favorite team
* When that team plays my once favorite Lions I will attempt to purchase tickets to that game and cheer for my new favorite team
* If bidding exceeds $100 I will immediately purchase the jersey of my new favorite team to be worn on Football Sundays/ Monday night games
* If my new favorite team makes it to the Super Bowl I will host a party in honor of my new favorite team
* Finally and most importantly I promise to be dedicated, loyal and committed to my new favorite team

Post this auction, if General Manager- Matt Millen is FIRED I will immediately refund 50% of the closing auction price to you. I would still remain a #1 fan of my new team but just be happy that some justice has been served in Detroit to all of the other loyal fans. The winner of this auction reserves all rights to name my new favorite team, if they wish to choose the Detroit Lions as my continued favorite team there will be a service charge of $5 charged for emotional distress and suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-17-2005 02:33 AM

Congrats. Didn't read the post, your subject heading was enough.

SmileyEH 12-17-2005 02:36 AM

Excellent.

-SmileyEH

-Skeme- 12-17-2005 02:38 AM

Your kid needs to stop throwing [censored].

12-17-2005 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://cgi.ebay.com/Buy-my-NFL-fan-l...QQcmdZViewItem

[/ QUOTE ]

That... is... AWESOME. I am this close to bidding on that.

And fwiw, I agree that the line was correct on every street in that story. Don't think I'd have the balls to do it myself, but good work.

Sooga 12-17-2005 03:06 AM

Your only mistake was not kicking her bitch-ass out sooner.

12-17-2005 03:07 AM

No way you called her an old bat. Thats kinda harsh, but I like that you had the balls to kick her out. Grandmas can suck real bad sumtimes, grandpas dont seem to suck as bad.

Doc7 12-17-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
grandpas dont seem to suck as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandpa asked me "So have you <censored> a girl yet?" this summer when my parents were temporarily out of the room.

I looked up, said "Excuse me?!" he said "What?" and i went back to watching TV. It was kind of awkward

InchoateHand 12-17-2005 03:11 AM

Nice work.

12-17-2005 03:18 AM

Doc,

I really think your grandfather is way more awesome than you give him credit for, you should not have shut that convo down.

OP,

You should have seen this coming. Clearly grandma was an awful choice and is just an evening ruiner in general. However once she arrives I don't see any better way to play it all out. Well done.

Perrier

man 12-17-2005 03:27 AM

I think this was nearly perfectly played. congrats. as the host, you have a responsibility to maintain a respectful atmosphere (or some [censored] like that).

I will say that it doesn't hurt to consider the fact that most old ladies are miserable and unhealthy, and they take it out on other people by being rude. I mean they're human. not saying that's the case here or that it excuses her actions, but maybe if you had fewer beers you could've found a nicer way to kick her out.

POTW, dare I say??

astroglide 12-17-2005 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My grandpa asked me "So have you <censored> a girl yet?" this summer when my parents were temporarily out of the room.

I looked up, said "Excuse me?!" he said "What?" and i went back to watching TV. It was kind of awkward

[/ QUOTE ]

your grandpa sounds [censored] awesome

from your "excuse me?" response you sound decidedly non-awesome

Doc7 12-17-2005 03:35 AM

The guy was a minister for like 50 years of his life...he was a chaplain in the army in WWII ... it was the comment i LEAST expected to come out of his mouth

12-17-2005 03:42 AM

Doc,

THAT IS WHY HE'S OBVIOUSLY SO AWESOME!

On a very serious note, connect with your grandfather man, obviously he is the man.

Perrier

youtalkfunny 12-17-2005 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Get the hell out of my house you ungrateful, rude old bat. We have you over to our house and all you do is insult us and our friends. Here's your stuff, there's the door. Out."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a way I can frame that? It ought to be immortalized, somehow.

Iplayragstoo 12-17-2005 03:48 AM

You sir, is da man!

astroglide 12-17-2005 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy was a minister for like 50 years of his life...he was a chaplain in the army in WWII ... it was the comment i LEAST expected to come out of his mouth

[/ QUOTE ]

you're just making it worse. that guy rules.

Escape 12-17-2005 04:16 AM

Awesome post!

12-17-2005 04:26 AM

Good stuff here. After reading this post, added to teh fact that I went to dinner with my grandparents tonight, I have a question. Has anyone noticed the propensity for old ladies to be rude, overbearing pains in the ass, while old guys are cool, funny, and interesting? I dont know if its sample size, but my grandpa is a war hero, double masters in phramacolgy and chemistry, has more stories than jesus christ, very witty etc. While my grandma does nothing but things similar to the old lady above. And I dont believe that its just my grandparents, it seems that most old folks I meet are this way. Weird drunk observation I guess.

Eurotrash 12-17-2005 04:33 AM

sounds like she deserved it. good story.

mikeyvegas 12-17-2005 04:54 AM

It's stories like this that make it clear that Matt Millen needs to be fired.

astroglide 12-17-2005 05:07 AM

my grandma rules. she's literally the sweetest woman in the world. late 70s, wits completely about her, very intelligent (but keeps it more or less socially hidden behind a sweet old lady attitude). watches sports like crazy, yells "WILL YOU STOP GIVING THE BALL TO THIS MORON?!?!" at the tv set and such.

many do seem to be crappy though. if they're not the bitching/moaning/"this may be the last christmas you see me..." types they're often the nodding, smiling through confusing useless types. the latter could be an artifact of intense male domination though, i would expect some kind of changes in that area with newer generations of old women.

ilya 12-17-2005 05:13 AM

I'm glad you feel guilty, cos you deserve to. she does sound horrible but once you agree to have her over you have to bear the consequences.

whiskeytown 12-17-2005 05:19 AM

You lasted about 3 incidents longer then me...

I have no tolerance for people who are that rude - she'd have literally found her ass in the snow after that comment about my son - (if I had one) -

good job.

RB

SackUp 12-17-2005 05:22 AM

Great read. At first glance of the title I thought you were booting your wife and I felt awful when I began to read about everyone having kids and you having 2 yourself. Then I read about the grandma and it was gametime. Well worth the read. Poor lady, but fck it. Being old is not excuse for being rude.

Chairman Wood 12-17-2005 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without saying a word, I go to the closet and get her purse and coat. I return, toss them on her lap, and say "Get the hell out of my house you ungrateful, rude old bat. We have you over to our house and all you do is insult us and our friends. Here's your stuff, there's the door. Out."

[/ QUOTE ]

I dig your style.

glorfindel 12-17-2005 10:28 AM

Beautiful. Great lesson to teach your children: Bad behavior warrants worse behavior. Too bad your domicile is not in the tundra so the wolves could finish where you left off.

Next time, just laugh at her or ignore her. She's a lonely, bitter, frustrated, scared old lady faced with impending mortality; in other words, pitiful.