Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling problem (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=239453)

Bill Bixby 04-25-2005 06:19 PM

what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling problem

Serious question. What % of online poker players do you think have one? How many posters on here have one? I know for a fact one did, read his post about a month ago.

bobbyi 04-25-2005 06:28 PM

Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling problem

I think there are lots of different definitions of "gambling problem", so there is no way to give an exact answer. Very few people here would consider themselves to have a gambling problem by their own defintion of the term. On the other hand, I'm sure many people here would have one in the eyes of Gamblers Anonymous.

Shoe 04-25-2005 06:36 PM

According to Gambling Anonymous, I have a huge gambling problem.

However, I am a winning player, and am constantly working on improving my game. I play full-time now. Do I have a problem? Depends on your definition I guess. If I was no longer able to beat the game, I would never play again.

What about all the people that work 60+ hours a week at their job? I guess that is an acceptable way to ruin your life.

imported_CaseClosed326 04-25-2005 06:36 PM

Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling pro

Well, I don't think we could know. Basicly, I could be addicted to gambling (probably not) but if I was I would not think I was an addict. That is the problem with being addicted to something, it is extremly hard to admit it to yourself. So...I would say more people are addicted than I would like to know.

offTopic 04-25-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. What % of online poker players do you think have one? How many posters on here have one? I know for a fact one did, read his post about a month ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to my Pokertracker database, approximately 40%.

DDBeast 04-25-2005 06:56 PM

What's the problem with winning?

Pokeraddict 04-25-2005 07:02 PM

Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling pro

You only have a gambling problem whrn you lose right?

Geo 04-25-2005 07:06 PM

Hi

My name is Peter and i am addicted to poker.

Richter 04-25-2005 07:07 PM

Shoe summed it up perfectly. First I don't play poker with what I cannot afford to lose and the amount I can afford to lose (my bankrol) is a 1000x greater than it was when I started playing poker 2 years ago.

I just tell people it's a hobby that I make a lot of money doing.

TGoldman 04-25-2005 07:18 PM

This site has a nice discussion on the different "Types of Gamblers." I would guess that online poker players consist of all of those types of gamblers including the section on "Professional Gamblers." As for a % breakdown of each type, who knows.