Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   strange raise sizes (LC) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396512)

mlagoo 12-12-2005 12:40 AM

strange raise sizes (LC)

typically, throughout the course of the mtt, you settle into a 2.5xBB-4xBB, whatever your standard raise size is, and sort of stick with it.

but something seems to happen once the stacks get deep enough so that the raise sizes are in the 5 digit or higher amounts... people start making bizarre raises preflop.

is there anything to this? is there some sort of "tell" that i'm missing out on? i'll see someone, at maybe 5000/10000 blinds, raise to like 26100 or something like that. but you never see someone raise to 261 at 50/100 blinds. what gives [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

(for those of you who are disappointed with the content here, note the LC tag at the top)

ChipsAhoya 12-12-2005 12:53 AM

Re: strange raise sizes (LC)

If people are lazy and just use the slider bar to raise instead of typing it in, it's a lot harder to get exactly 25,000 than it is 250... Don't think too much of it...

-ChipsAhoya

mlagoo 12-12-2005 01:01 AM

ahhhh the slider bar

im a number pad man myself.

it all becomes clear.

bruce 12-12-2005 03:40 AM

I like to make bizarre raises for a few reasons.

Firstly I get bored. And secondly, I do it in an attempt to
distract the opposition. I doubt it has much of an effect, but if it does, good for me. What diffence does it make
if I bet 40000 or 40250? If I distract the villian for
a moment or he now pegs me as an idiot I have accomplished
something.

Bruce

Exitonly 12-12-2005 03:42 AM

the ones i hate, are when they bet 40219, or somethign that looks like they're all in.

fallen for that half a dozen times.

12-12-2005 03:50 AM

Merely because I am an [censored],

if there is a player whom I am involved with that I am not particularly fond of, I'll bet exactly his chip stack -1 chip.

Occasionally, they'll only see the raise, and not push over top. Seeing a main pot of 5 chips on the next hand brings a little bit of fun to my experience, albeit I'm sure pisses the other guy off pretty bad.

now that's extra lc

12-12-2005 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to make bizarre raises for a few reasons.

Firstly I get bored. And secondly, I do it in an attempt to
distract the opposition. I doubt it has much of an effect, but if it does, good for me. What diffence does it make
if I bet 40000 or 40250? If I distract the villian for
a moment or he now pegs me as an idiot I have accomplished
something.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just started doing this myself. For the most part I am doing it from the stage of the tourney where I am steal-raising semi-frequently from late position, as shaving a fraction of a bet off of each my steals can add up over the course of a tournament. Additionally, it allows me to make slighly smaller continuation bets in the event that I am called.

bruce 12-12-2005 02:50 PM

I'll do this frequently also. Good point.

The fact that there's a post about this suggests that
players wonder what's up with this.

Bruce