Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A raised, multi-way pots observation. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393361)

Kirkrrr 12-07-2005 11:27 AM

A raised, multi-way pots observation.

This might be obvious to some but not to others so I think it's worth mentioning.

Here's a typical scenario: A limps, B limps, C raises, you call, A+B call.

Flop: xxx

A checks, B checks, C bets...

Now say you have a good but not great hand. In any case, you think there exists a reasonable chance you have C beat, though you're not too sure (TPGK, for instance), and heads-up you would call. The presence of players A and B makes this a FOLD! The presence of the other players in the hand makes a marginal (or even slightly better than maringal) call into a fold, since you're fighting an uphill battle now, and should someone wake up behind with a hand, you're screwed.

There's more to it than that, but I'll stop here for now. Comments? Thoughts?

Kirk

12-07-2005 01:52 PM

Re: A raised, multi-way pots observation.

Uh, how do you know A + B have hands? You have a marginal hand and you think the preflop aggressor is weaker than you. You are putting him on a continuation bet. This isn't a clear fold, absent a strong read on A and B, it's a clear raise! If you limp call, A + B get in for one bet with some very good odds. If they call or raise the 2 bets, now you have something to go on. Now is the time to begin thinking about getting away from your hand.

If it was heads up, it would be a raise and not a call as well. Is C making a continuation bet or does he have something? If you call, you get nowhere closer to finding out the answer. If you raise and C is weak, well you've put him in a pickle, haven't you?

soko 12-07-2005 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You cold-call often enough that this is "typical scenario"?

threeonefour 12-07-2005 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
after two limpers you can cold call plenty

soko 12-07-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
after two limpers you can cold call plenty

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know what hands you cold call with preflop that can make top pair top/good kicker.

TexArcher 12-07-2005 03:40 PM

I don't see this as an obvious fold at all.

The first two players didn't raise, they just limped, they may not have anything. This is a raise to try to isolate the third player the vast majority of the time (unless you have a read that one or both of the first players likes to limp from early position with monster starting hands or something like that)...

soko 12-07-2005 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see this as an obvious fold at all.

The first two players didn't raise, they just limped, they may not have anything. This is a raise to try to isolate the third player the vast majority of the time (unless you have a read that one or both of the first players likes to limp from early position with monster starting hands or something like that)...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Did you read the first page in SSHE "Protecting your hand" chapter? you should RAISE.

soko 12-07-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(TPGK, for instance), and heads-up you would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call with top pair good kicker heads up?

ZenMusician 12-07-2005 09:19 PM

I was about to jump in here, but you are
already being sufficiently pwn3d!

-ZEN

Xhad 12-07-2005 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: xxx

A checks, B checks, C bets...

Now say you have a good but not great hand. In any case, you think there exists a reasonable chance you have C beat, though you're not too sure (TPGK, for instance), and heads-up you would call. The presence of players A and B makes this a FOLD!

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hands that put you in this situation, but not TPGK. More like Ace-high GK + BDFD or middle pair NK + BDFD.