Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Country with most lenient tax law towards poker income? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384964)

11-25-2005 08:47 AM

Country with most lenient tax law towards poker income?

Lets say I have Canadian citizenship, but I have lived in the US all my life and do not have US citizenship, what countries are on top of my list as far as where I would want to live to only play primarily online poker for a living? Mostly for tax law, but obviously living conditions/cost of living/etc factor in. Gibraltar? Monaco? Aruba? I think Aruba would give me access to good live games as well. Any feedback at all is appreciated.

TylerD 11-25-2005 08:48 AM

Re: Country with most lenient tax law towards poker income?

There is no tax on poker or gambling winnings in the UK.

mackthefork 11-25-2005 09:24 AM

I'm going to visit the tax manager of the firm I used to work at, and find out if this is true, my suspicion is that it's only true for hobby players.

Mack

daveymck 11-25-2005 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to visit the tax manager of the firm I used to work at, and find out if this is true, my suspicion is that it's only true for hobby players.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Your suspicion is incorrect, gambling winnings are subject to a tax rate of 0% there is no cut off to a higher level.

Player sponsorship may be another matter and if you were purely playing as a pro then you may want to keep your ni stamp up but apart form that then there is nothing to pay.

I can see this changing in the future but there will be one hell of an uproar when it does, its hard to say when a hobby ends and a living starts.

There an article somwhere on the mob site that explains it in more detail.

Rudbaeck 11-25-2005 09:38 AM

Aruba, Costa Rica, UK and actually Sweden* off the top of my head.

*) Well, as long as you play only on EU sites, but since most have moved to Gibraltar that's easily accomplished. PokerStars is the only nice site not in the EU pretty much.

daveymck 11-25-2005 09:42 AM

Article - With case law as backup

mackthefork 11-25-2005 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Your suspicion is incorrect, gambling winnings are subject to a tax rate of 0% there is no cut off to a higher level.

Player sponsorship may be another matter and if you were purely playing as a pro then you may want to keep your ni stamp up but apart form that then there is nothing to pay.

I can see this changing in the future but there will be one hell of an uproar when it does, its hard to say when a hobby ends and a living starts.

There an article somwhere on the mob site that explains it in more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope so, we'll need a case to find out, this online thing has really opened a can of worms as far as I'm concerned.

Mack

11-25-2005 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no tax on poker or gambling winnings in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for Canada, but add Lottery winnings to that list too (chances are slim that you'll win the lottery, but it's still nice to know that you get to keep it all)

MrEngenic 11-25-2005 12:33 PM

If the poker site is in Gibraltar,UK or any other EU country with 0 tax on gambling you don't pay taxes for it in ANY EU country.

sredinator 11-25-2005 02:23 PM

Incorrect.

Gambling income for professional gamblers is taxable income in Canada.

see: Alvin J. Luprypa, Appellant, and Her Majesty The Queen, Respondent 1997 CarswellNat 765, [1997] 3 C.T.C. 2363, 97 D.T.C. 1416