Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   My personal theory of what went wrong in NO (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=329084)

Arnfinn Madsen 09-03-2005 05:38 PM

My personal theory of what went wrong in NO

I might be wrong since I don't know too much about how the American society is organized, but what I know is that at other natural disasters like the tsunami etc., the American military and the American non-governmental organisations have responded quickly and contributed much. However, the civilian government, like FEMA, has not been major part of those operations. Maybe FEMA as organisation thus lacked the sort of "managing in chaos"-experience that other organisations possess. After all, it seems like everything went better when the military overtook more of the real control. I am absolutely sure that the American military or the American Red Cross/International Red Cross would be able to get supplies in quicker if they would be in charge (they get food to Africa and Asia quicker).

09-03-2005 05:46 PM

Re: My personal theory of what went wrong in NO

Very interesting and acute analysis. I think I'll have to agree with your assessment.

cardcounter0 09-03-2005 05:54 PM

Another overlooked factor:

There were no members of the Saudi Royal Family in New Orleans at the time.

Edge34 09-03-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another overlooked factor:

There were no members of the Saudi Royal Family in New Orleans at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder, do you actually believe the constant tripe you spit out, or is this just some kind of joke that I'm not picking up on?

cardcounter0 09-03-2005 06:42 PM

Examine what happened to the Saudi Royals in America compared to American Citizens during the last Bush disaster, and get back to me.

SheetWise 09-03-2005 06:46 PM

There are several things to add to the equation. FEMA Employees are not used to being shot at ... and that's also not considered in a terrorist scenario. Apparently the N.O. police are not used to being shot at either. OTOH, N.O. police have had a long history of corruption and it may be an issue of loyalties.

zoomOut 09-03-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely sure that the American military or the American Red Cross/International Red Cross would be able to get supplies in quicker if they would be in charge (they get food to Africa and Asia quicker).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering why we didn't see the Red Cross go in sooner to offer relief especially to the people in the Superdome and Convention Center. Anyone know why they weren't the first ones in there? They are usually so dependable. (Sorry if this has already been addressed in this forum. I haven't read all the threads.)

newfant 09-03-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering why we didn't see the Red Cross go in sooner to offer relief especially to the people in the Superdome and Convention Center. Anyone know why they weren't the first ones in there? They are usually so dependable. (Sorry if this has already been addressed in this forum. I haven't read all the threads

[/ QUOTE ]

The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army were kept out by the troops surrounding New Orleans. I don't know why but George Bush is an idiot.

newfant 09-03-2005 07:47 PM

The American military cleaned [censored] up pretty fast when they finally got in there. Very impressive.

nyc999 09-03-2005 07:55 PM

From the Red Cross website:

[ QUOTE ]
Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

Access to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Homeland Security and FEMA only didn't provide food for three days, they prevented other organizations from doing the same.