Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386901)

hmkpoker 11-28-2005 04:01 PM

The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

Think of the person you love most in your life. It could be your mum, your pa, your girlfriend, your son...heck, it could even be you.

Got someone in mind? Good.

That person has a terminal illness that will cause him/her to die a horrible, horrible death over the next year. There is a cure. It is 100% effective, and remarkably cheap. All you have to do to get it is to press a button, which will enable a death ray in space to vaporize ten random starving African children. You will never have met these children otherwise, and no one will ever connect you to the killing.

What'll it be?

henrikrh 11-28-2005 04:58 PM

Re: The Value of Human Life (a poll for BigSooner)

YES!!! the results of the poll made me laugh out loud!

hmkpoker 11-28-2005 06:55 PM

It's really sad how far I'm willing to go to prove people's stupidity to them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fuego527 11-28-2005 07:12 PM

he isnt stupid

he just cares more about people than most

BigSoonerFan 11-28-2005 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really sad how far I'm willing to go to prove people's stupidity to them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid? Doubtful. Naive? Maybe. If this is an accurate representation of people's feelings, then it certainly illustrates the moral decline that seems to be accelerating of late. I've always said that man's biggest deficiency is selfishness and this certainly reflects that.

hmkpoker 11-28-2005 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid? Doubtful. Naive? Maybe. If this is an accurate representation of people's feelings, then it certainly illustrates the moral decline that seems to be accelerating of late. I've always said that man's biggest deficiency is selfishness and this certainly reflects that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it simply suggests that there is more to the value of human life than quantity.

Aytumious 11-28-2005 08:23 PM

I'd say the results so far have been exactly what you'd expect.

BigSoonerFan 11-28-2005 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it simply suggests that there is more to the value of human life than quantity.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with quantity. It has to do with killing innocent people, which I thought most people would think is wrong. It doesn't matter if it is one child or ten million children.

hmkpoker 11-28-2005 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with quantity. It has to do with killing innocent people, which I thought most people would think is wrong. It doesn't matter if it is one child or ten million children.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a random innocent child's life is worth more to you than the most important person in your life?

J. Stew 11-28-2005 08:29 PM

Ah cmon people, death is a part of life. In one situation you are killing, in the other, you are letting what is natural happen. The fact that 85% would rather kill than accept the difficulties of life is why people suck and why nobody is really happy.