Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   beirut, poker and 'luck'... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400606)

RyGreen18 12-18-2005 02:30 AM

beirut, poker and \'luck\'...

me and my friends are having an argument about beirut. one of them is saying that 'beirut is a game of chance and luck, that some people are on some nights and that part of the game is luck'. i am under the opinion that any action that you have control in is NOT chance, that throwing the b all at a cup is a skill, along w/ any other physical action, is controlled and therefore not lucky. i used the game of poker as an example of a game that combines luck and skill (along w/ a number of board games and other card games, etc.) discuss...

threeonefour 12-18-2005 03:21 AM

Re: beirut, poker and \'luck\'...

is throwing dice a skill?

DcifrThs 12-18-2005 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my friends are having an argument about beirut. one of them is saying that 'beirut is a game of chance and luck, that some people are on some nights and that part of the game is luck'. i am under the opinion that any action that you have control in is NOT chance, that throwing the b all at a cup is a skill, along w/ any other physical action, is controlled and therefore not lucky. i used the game of poker as an example of a game that combines luck and skill (along w/ a number of board games and other card games, etc.) discuss...

[/ QUOTE ]

you think root is LUCK?? wtf..that is a clear game of skill. we had tournaments in my frat. same 2 guys won every time, what are they? the luckiest guys in the frat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Barron

AaronBrown 12-18-2005 10:51 AM

If you take your position to the extreme, nothing is luck except maybe quantuum physics. Claude Shannon (the father of information theory) built a mechanical hand that could flip a coin, heads or tails on command, consistently. He and Ed Thorp (the father of blackjack card counting) built a computer that could predict roulette results from observing the spin before betting was closed. So the laws of physics apply to coins and roulette wheels and dice. But without a computer and some precision measurements, they're random for practical purposes.

The extreme version of your friend's argument is that everything is luck. When I play my son in chess, I win sometimes and he wins sometimes. Obviously there's some luck that determines which one of us is sharper at each game.

Unless you are an extremist, Beruit is clearly a middle ground between roulette and chess. Skill matters quite a bit, but even for the best players there is a large element of luck.

DCWildcat 12-18-2005 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you think root is LUCK?? wtf..that is a clear game of skill. we had tournaments in my frat. same 2 guys won every time, what are they? the luckiest guys in the frat [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, sir. Do you call your country a [censored]? No. Then don't call your fraternity a frat. Shame, good sir, shame.

DCWildcat 12-18-2005 04:47 PM

Have you ever had a -300 cup downswing in 'rut? Didn't think so. It's as true a game of skill as there is.

I would go so far as to say that if you could make consistent money playing it, 'rut would be the ultimate game.

ohnonotthat 12-19-2005 03:15 AM

Link to the rules for this fine game ?

- Or a brief explanation of how it is played ?

- Chris

Xhad 12-19-2005 03:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Pong

ohnonotthat 12-19-2005 09:29 AM

I guess this

could be fun. Things were different when I was in school; we had other forms of merryment.

Now that I think about it, as good as they were when sober, a few hours of this would have made those panty raids even more exciting.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]