Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AKs play too passive? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=171304)

bilbo-san 01-05-2005 05:17 AM

AKs play too passive?

I don't think this hand is all that spectacular, but I'm still learning so I need the advice even on some boring hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

No reads -- I just sat down.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

In a nutshell, I rarely know how to read stop-and-go play. Given that I feel most players will automatically put you on AK when you raise preflop, I interpreted in this bet as "Yeah, I know you paired an Ace, but screw off -- it helps me even more".

I mean, surely if he had 2 pair or better on the flop I would have seen 3 bets then?

River: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

So I called down. Too passive? Too loose? Just right? Criticism welcome.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Hack 01-05-2005 05:47 AM

Re: AKs play too passive?

Raise the turn. You're calling because you have two overcards. You hit one of your overcards and you just call? BB's play doesn't necessarily mean anything. It doesn't mean he has an Ace. It doesn't mean he has two pair. Your hand is likely the best. Raise. If he 3bets then you can call it down.

Knoler 01-05-2005 06:38 AM

Flop raise = free card play + anti-flush protection?

Raise the turn. If 3-bet, I'd probably call down. (any other ideas?) If he calls your turn raise and then leads out on the river, I'd call.

Regards,
-Brian

bilbo-san 01-05-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop raise = free card play + anti-flush protection?

Raise the turn. If 3-bet, I'd probably call down. (any other ideas?) If he calls your turn raise and then leads out on the river, I'd call.

Regards,
-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

My flop raise is, imho, standard: I have the odds to call, but raising is much better, because I'd like people to fold. I *may* even have the best hand, although that is unlikely.

The free card, if it comes to that, would be a bonus. But I might have taken a stab heads-up at a blank on the turn if checked to me, hoping they would fold Qx. I'm not sure if the chance that they will fold is high enough for it to be worth it, though.

meep_42 01-05-2005 05:03 PM

Qx isn't folding here, you can hope to fold a PP&lt;Q or 2nd and 3rd pair here, though.

-d

bilbo-san 01-05-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Qx isn't folding here, you can hope to fold a PP&lt;Q or 2nd and 3rd pair here, though.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

....and the question then becomes, how often does that need to happen to make bluffing a blank on the turn profitable?

It's the kind of math I'm OK at figuring out given lots of time, but terrible at doing in the time I have to make a poker decision.

...but at any rate, I was just pointing out that my flop raise was not "flush protection" or anything, but simply my standard "hmmm, I have to call here, but raising is a lot better because I'd like a whole bunch of currently crappy made hands to fold (bottom pairs, middle pairs w/weak kickers, etc)" play.

meep_42 01-05-2005 05:22 PM

I know why you raise the flop here, and I like it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-d

Marquis 01-05-2005 05:40 PM

I read a post here once that said something like, "stop-and-go at these levels usually means a monster." I started paying attention to it, and it's true.

I still raise the turn, tho [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

KLGambiT 01-05-2005 05:57 PM

Can anyone please define the the term " Stop N Go" please. I have heard it alot and have a a good idea of what it is but if anyone can give me a solid definition that would be great, thanks.

meep_42 01-05-2005 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone please define the the term " Stop N Go" please. I have heard it alot and have a a good idea of what it is but if anyone can give me a solid definition that would be great, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain calls your raise/3-bet on one street and leads the next street. (Instead of raising on the first street)

-d