Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Newbie Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=184341)

Damian UK 01-26-2005 02:08 PM

Newbie Question

HI All

First post so take it easy on me..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In a MTT last night and would like some advice as to whether I played the following hand correctly please.
about 250 left - pays first 70

SB/BB 300/600
am on the BB with about 4000 chips (after paying)
SB 10K+
Button 5K

I have 10 6 os

folds all round to button who calls as does SB I check for free

Flop 10 7 6 rainbow

SB bets 1200 - I have been on the table about 5 hands - he bet a similar amount on a raggedy flop about 3 hands ago and won against 4 players with less chips than him

I immediately raised him AI as I have my 2 pr - figuring him for either an overpair, K 10/Q 10 (favourite choice) or K8/Q8 limp in - I want to win the hand there and then and not allow him to draw

the button also raises AI for his 5K which really surprised me as I would have thought he would have raised preflop with any decent hand, and then the SB called

They both had A 10 os - and yes an A hit the turn busting me out as they shared the pot

So did I do the right thing? I didn't want to just call and let him bet at me again and give him a card to draw to, I just wanted to show I had best hand and hopefully "get out of here guys"!! lol

Thoughts most welcome as I improve my amatuer game

cheers

Damian

ntg816 01-26-2005 02:12 PM

Re: Newbie Question

Pot was 3000 after the SB bet, you had 4000 left, I think it was the right move. You can't fear 8-9 here.

sfwusc 01-26-2005 02:18 PM

You were lucky to flop two pair against two TPTK. They have two outs to a split pot.

The fact they caught it doesnt make it the wrong play.

Good hand. Bad luck.

eleventy 01-26-2005 02:19 PM

You got all in with chance to triple up with best hand. You can't do much more than that.

eleventy 01-26-2005 02:33 PM

they have more than 2 outs but they did get lucky.

Damian UK 01-26-2005 02:47 PM

Thanks all for the quick responses!

phew - glad that you all think I played it right - it jut seemed the right thing to do - the 89 never even occured to me when I saw the flop, tho when the button called AI it did!

gutted with being outdrawn as you can imagine!

cheers all - gonna enjoy posting here

ta

Damian

etgryphon 01-26-2005 02:51 PM

I'm playing the same way everytime. You did good Damian don't let the results drive your thinking. The only hand that I would be worried about would be the 9-8 which would probably check because it is a real strong holding on this flop. 2 pair are way too weak to slowplay you want to end it on the flop which you tried to do. You got two callers with only 5 outs to split the pot with incorrect odds to make this play. I'm just astonished that they called in this spot, but I hope they do everytime.

-Gryph

Soul Daddy 01-26-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they have more than 2 outs but they did get lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do? Other than a running 98? Am I missing something?

ntg816 01-26-2005 03:01 PM

If another seven comes off, they both have a higher two pair with an A kicker, ditto for two runners, like 8-8 or 9-9.

Soul Daddy 01-26-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If another seven comes off, they both have a higher two pair with an A kicker, ditto for two runners, like 8-8 or 9-9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh... The lesson, as always, I'm a moron.