Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   potentially counterfeit travelers checks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393559)

Jules22 12-07-2005 04:52 PM

potentially counterfeit travelers checks

posting for a friend, he sold something on the myspace personals for 1500, the dude who claims to be representing clients in africa sends him 3000 in travelers checks with my friends name on them and tells him to cash them, and then wire the other 1500 to a third party along with the item that was sold. this to me sounds like a sure fire scam, i would like to know what your guys plays would be

edit: the checks looks legit, seem to have a watermark and look to the untrained observers (my friend and i) to be legit, but we know virtually 0 about travelers checks

BWebb 12-07-2005 04:55 PM

Re: potentially counterfeit travelers checks

Scam.

jba 12-07-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scam.

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino 12-07-2005 04:56 PM

Wow, I can't beleive that people actually fall for [censored] like that.

12-07-2005 04:59 PM

If they're AMEX or Visa, I'd check the company website. Probably a phone number you could call to verify the check numbers on the top right (RA ###-###-###) are valid and not stolen. Alternatively, deposit them to your bank account and don't wire any money until they clear.

jba 12-07-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, deposit them to your bank account and don't wire any money until they clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!!!!!

it will "cleared" by your bank, and many days later it will be rejected

Warik 12-07-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sends him 3000 in travelers checks with my friends name on them and tells him to cash them, and then wire the other 1500 to a third party along

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey look! It's a red flag!

12-07-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively, deposit them to your bank account and don't wire any money until they clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!!!!!

it will "cleared" by your bank, and many days later it will be rejected

[/ QUOTE ]

Bank's loss.

12-07-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
posting for a friend, he sold something on the myspace personals for 1500, the dude who claims to be representing clients in africa sends him 3000 in travelers checks with my friends name on them and tells him to cash them, and then wire the other 1500 to a third party along with the item that was sold. this to me sounds like a sure fire scam, i would like to know what your guys plays would be

edit: the checks looks legit, seem to have a watermark and look to the untrained observers (my friend and i) to be legit, but we know virtually 0 about travelers checks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is called a cash-back scam, or at least a variation of. Somebody steals or forges a check, then goes to a bank to deposit it but they want half or most of the amount in cash. Checks may look legit, but they could be washed. If your friend gets involved, he gets stuck with the bag because he's the one who deposited the checks. The checks bounce or have a stop payment on them, and he just wired $1500 of his money to Africa.

Don't know what you should do with the checks or the buyer. I suppose you could take the checks to the bank for an opinion.

ScottieK

eviljeff 12-07-2005 05:05 PM

at best this is money laundering