Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Matt, why did the site go from having separate frames? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=160127)

SamJack 12-10-2004 12:36 PM

Matt, why did the site go from having separate frames?

Matt, I've notice that the forum has gone form having separate frames for the left side and the content to not having separte frames. Why? I enjoy reading posts form mutiiple forums and now it makes it more difficult. It is not a huge problem, but why?

SamJack

drewjustdrew 12-10-2004 12:49 PM

Re: Matt, why did the site go from having separate frames?

If you are referring to the links on the left, I still have mine. I noticed that they go away if I enter the site through an email notification.

CountDuckula 12-10-2004 01:26 PM

Sam means that the links on the left used to be in their own frame, so they could be scrolled indepdendently of the forum screen. I preferred that, myself.

-Mike

Mr. Graff 12-10-2004 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt, I've notice that the forum has gone form having separate frames for the left side and the content to not having separte frames. Why? I enjoy reading posts form mutiiple forums and now it makes it more difficult. It is not a huge problem, but why?

SamJack

[/ QUOTE ]
Disadvantages to having frames:
- Harder to get search engines to index the content of your site. And when it does get indexed, the other frames will not open so the whole link section will be gone making the site appear incomplete
- Bookmarks will open without the other frames
- Difficult to print out
- Better layout control, better control with how visitors view your site

Overall lots of pros and few cons to abandoning frames.

How does it make it more difficult to read posts from multiple forums? Do you know you can press shift while clicking on a link so it will open in a new window?

pc in NM 12-10-2004 01:56 PM

Seems the pros all favor the operators of the site...

The cons all affect the users...

I prefer the frames; it was also possible before to view the site w/o frames for those who chose.

Izaak_Walton 12-10-2004 02:48 PM

You say to press shift while clicking on link to have it open in a new window--are you talking about the shift key that shifts from lower case letters to upper case--or some other key????? Thanks

Thythe 12-10-2004 02:50 PM

Just the normal shift key (to capitalize letters, etc).

Rudbaeck 12-10-2004 05:00 PM

I immediately assumed it was to stop us from avoiding ads. And I don't really mind, my eyes are blind to banners.

As Zehn 12-10-2004 06:08 PM

I preferred the two frames also, but feel that it is a minor inconveniences considering the value of content contained in these forums.

smoore 12-10-2004 08:24 PM

I personally hate frames, but the way 2+2 used to be was one of the best way to do them. As a workaround: In most browsers (OS's?), shift+scrollwheel will go a page at a time if you need to get back up in a hurry.

edit: Whoops, it doesn't in windows/firebird. NEVERMIND!