Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   a thin hand in a big pot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=58249)

mikelow 12-19-2003 06:45 PM

a thin hand in a big pot

15-30 online. Pretty loose game. I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the cutoff.

Folded to UTG + 1 who raises. He is raises quite freely preflop, including Q9s and the like. MP calls, I click on call, and the button along with both blinds call. Six of us in for a big bet each.

Flop is:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Blinds check, and EP bets. MP calls and I raise. All call my raise (trouble). 12 BBs in the pot now.

Turn is:

[9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Checked to me and I bet. Button folds, SB folds but BB calls as do EP and MP. 16 BBs in the pot.

River is:

[9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to me. I bet. Do you like my action?

hutz 12-19-2003 08:14 PM

Re: a thin hand in a big pot

Pre-flop: I'd drop it only getting 2:1 on the call.

Flop: Is that the flop you wanted? Top pair, crappy kicker on a 2-flush board against an UTG raiser who bet and MP cold-caller who called, with someone yet to act behind you? Yuck = muck

Turn: Now that you're here, an argument can be made for betting your pretty-much-no-outs hand, but I don't think you should be here in the first place.

River: You got this far for some reason, take the free showdown.

cosmo kramer 12-19-2003 09:28 PM

I'd fold preflop. As for the flop and turn, I like. The river, however, I take a free showdown. That many callers means someone's on a flush draw (I especially that the A on board is not a heart). Even if nobody is on a flush draw, they have a better kicker than you and they aren't folding. I'd take the free showdown.

Kenshin 12-20-2003 03:05 AM

I believe you can justify calling with A8s against a loose raiser and multiple callers. I also would take a shot at the flop; however, I would surrender on the turn

Billy LTL 12-20-2003 04:13 AM

Reraise preflop if you're going to play it.

Good raise on the flop. Good bet on the turn.

The river? Yes, I like your bet. I don't think you have to fear a check-raise here.

Billy

elysium 12-20-2003 04:27 AM

hi mike
i think you can check-down here on the river. there are too many over-callers, and with flush check-raising in vogue, you're not a 2 to 1 favorite. you'll win here about 10% of the time or less. the chances of folding out are less than that. there is no reasion to bet. you tried and in all liklihood failed to win this one. but the checks to you are encouraging. check it down.

brad 12-20-2003 04:11 PM

looks like your trying to play great but you know if these some guy will overcall with AJ or call with AJ with 2 behind him when flush gets there then you know it wont work.

mikelow 12-21-2003 03:35 AM

results

Yes, my thinking on this hand was terrible. Perhaps I should have folded preflop. And I should have checked the river. I guess I like Ax suited too much.

I think the hand plays well in loose games. Anyway, I lost to EP who showed A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The others didn't show.