Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bet-fold this turn or fetal tuck? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343999)

cartman 09-25-2005 11:27 AM

Bet-fold this turn or fetal tuck?

UTG+1 is unknown.

PREFLOP:
UTG+1 open-raises, folded to Hero in the BB who 3-bets with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

FLOP: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP calls.

TURN: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP raises, Hero folds.

Should I have just checked and called both the turn and river when the Ace hit?

What would your line be if a K or a Q hit the turn?

Thanks,
Cartman

gildwulf 09-25-2005 11:29 AM

Re: Bet-fold this turn or fetal tuck?

I think you played it well. With no reads I would do the same thing. I always bet this turn no matter what with a hand as strong as JJ. Against a King or Queen, especially if it two-flushes the board, I will probably call down (possibility of aggressive draws).

09-25-2005 12:17 PM

Against an unknown my line for an A would definately be a bet/fold.

I'd dump on a K/Q to a turn raise as well.

wheelz 09-25-2005 01:05 PM

i think you've got to bet-fold. it sucks, because you're going to fold worse hands and also open the possibility of getting bluff raised by them, and you're ahead of more of his range than you're behind. however, i don't think he bluffs both streets often enough for check-calling down to be profitable, and i also don't think he bluffs you off the best hand often enough for there to be anything wrong with bet-folding. so i guess you've got to go with the lesser of 2 evils.

of course, we don't know that he'll bet the turn after we check.

krishanleong 09-25-2005 01:13 PM

It's bet/fold most of the time but occasionally I use check-call check-fold. I sometimes do the latter though I'm not sure it ever really works out.

Krishan

Stack 09-25-2005 01:14 PM

I play the same since there are no draws to warrant a semibluff from villain. Sometimes, we'll fold the best hand...oh well...we'll have better reads on him in a few minutes.

Stack 09-25-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's bet/fold most of the time but occasionally I use check-call check-fold. I sometimes do the latter though I'm not sure it ever really works out.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you switch between the two randomly or is there a factor that makes you check-call check-fold sometimes?

wheelz 09-25-2005 01:29 PM

it definitely works sometimes, but i don't think it works well against unknowns.

krishanleong 09-25-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you switch between the two randomly or is there a factor that makes you check-call check-fold sometimes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably bet/fold 90%. I think having a decent read will make me check-call, check-fold. If I'm running badly, Villian may be tilting, villian is tricky I try it sometimes.

Krishan

krishanleong 09-25-2005 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it definitely works sometimes, but i don't think it works well against unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's good to know other half decent lines for this spot though.

Krishan