Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   huge pot for micro - how'd I play? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278779)

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 03:46 AM

huge pot for micro - how\'d I play?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (24 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Final Pot: 36 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qs Qh (full house, queens full of fives).
Hero has Ac 9c (flush, ace high).
MP1 has 8s 8d (two pair, eights and fives).
Button doesn't show.
Outcome: SB wins 36 BB. </font>
Comments?

Henke 06-23-2005 04:01 AM

Re: huge pot for micro - how\'d I play?

I would just call preflop. I would probably just call the river too.

jmn32 06-23-2005 04:22 AM

I would probably fold preflop. I might call, but I am definitely not 3-betting.

Without any reads on SB, I would slow down on the river. If he's a maniac, I play the exact same way - most players will not play a non-nut flush (what you're really hoping he has, on this board) like this.

Sykes 06-23-2005 04:54 AM

Call pre-flop.
Flop is fine.
Slowdown on the turn to the SB 3 bet and call river.

Don't show results next time.

aK13 06-23-2005 04:55 AM

I'd call the turn 3bet.

Capping hands are AA, KK, QQ, maybe JJ, AK, and maybe AQ.
Since you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , it is very unlikely he is overplaying AA like this. KK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a possibility. AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] very unlikely. JJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is not playing this way. No way for AQ.

KK/QQ are the only possible hands, but I doubt KK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] will do this, since they are not drawing to the nut flush, and it is pretty clear you hold a monster.

Sykes 06-23-2005 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is almost never correct (in fact the only correct time to fold A9s to a raise pf is when you know the person is raising with AA 100% of the time and it is just heads up between you and the raiser) to fold A9s in the BB for 1 more bet.

In fact, you should never fold Axs in the bb for 1 more bet.

NDHand 06-23-2005 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call pre-flop.
Flop is fine.
Slowdown on the turn to the SB 3 bet and call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly like I would have played it

aK13 06-23-2005 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very crappy advice. So much is read dependent and limper dependent.

Sykes 06-23-2005 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you never folded Axs in the sb for 1 more bet, you wouldn't be making that much a mistake, even if you called with A6-8s all the time. You're putting in 2SB for a 7SB pot and the only hand where calling the raise is incorrect would be AA (And even this wouldn't be a mistake if you get 3-4 callers).

aK13 06-23-2005 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you never folded Axs in the sb for 1 more bet, you wouldn't be making that much a mistake, even if you called with A6-8s all the time. You're putting in 2SB for a 7SB pot and the only hand where calling the raise is incorrect would be AA (And even this wouldn't be a mistake if you get 3-4 callers).

[/ QUOTE ]

7SB pot? HU is 3.5:1 pot. very read dependent whether to call or fold (or 3 bet, for that matter).

jmn32 06-23-2005 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is almost never correct (in fact the only correct time to fold A9s to a raise pf is when you know the person is raising with AA 100% of the time and it is just heads up between you and the raiser) to fold A9s in the BB for 1 more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that Hero was in the Big Blind. I would definitely call in that case. I'm still not 3-betting.

Sykes 06-23-2005 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

7SB pot? HU is 3.5:1 pot. very read dependent whether to call or fold (or 3 bet, for that matter).

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Obviously it's read dependent to 3 bet, but whether to call or not is not. For the 4th time, you're only making a mistake by calling the raise is if the raiser has AA and it is heads-up.

Duerig 06-23-2005 08:35 AM

I wouldn't 3bet preflop. I would slow down on the river.

McGahee 06-23-2005 08:41 AM

What gritty determination by MP1. Buddy list him.

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Entity 06-23-2005 11:46 AM

Preflop, turn, and river suck.

You might want to consider putting your opponents on a range of hands before hitting the bet/raise/reraise button.

Rev. Good Will 06-23-2005 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

They tend to skew the responses.

You didn't know what you're opponents had while you were playing you're hand, why should we know what they had while we analyze it?

Bradyams 06-23-2005 11:55 AM

MP1 is a badass poker player.

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just call preflop. I would probably just call the river too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, stay in the whole way, just tighten up so I'm not leaking so much?

Thank you guys for your advice. Some of it is a little over my head right now, but I'll catch on soon enough... Thanks again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bozlax 06-23-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. This is the most eff'd-up preflop action I've seen in a looooong time.

2. I believe MP1 has some form of mild retardation working (and I haven't even looked at the results).

3. Any reads on SB? I'd be worried playing against a preflop cold-call-capper (weird!) who doesn't seem concerned about a 3-flush flop, but against an unknown...hmmmmmm.

Oh, wait, I see now! You LOST! The board is paired so SB had, what? 55? No, it was 44, wasn't it, for the rivered boat! This is a bad-beat post!

Dude, you flopped the nut flush and got as much money into the pot as you could. Where's the question, here?

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to consider putting your opponents on a range of hands before hitting the bet/raise/reraise button.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. True.
Cut me some slack, eh? I have just barely passed my 1000 hands free trial in PT and thus I'm totaly new to the game. This is a skill I will develop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

badbill7 06-23-2005 12:00 PM

not the biggest mistake to raise preflop.but still better to call. you arent going to force anyone out with your three bet and your hand is not that strong so you made second best decision here. definately cap flop. slow down on turn. probably bet first and if reraised call then check river.board pairing should put warning signs in your eyes considered the strong flop action.

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, you flopped the nut flush and got as much money into the pot as you could. Where's the question, here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well that's how I felt and that's why I posted it. I was just wondering whether is was a bad beat (likely) or if I'm not paying enough attention to my opponents (more likely).

I guess it's not a good idea to space out on what your opponents are doing so you can go post on OOT between decisions?
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

bozlax 06-23-2005 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well that's how I felt and that's why I posted it. I was just wondering whether is was a bad beat (likely) or if I'm not paying enough attention to my opponents (more likely).

I guess it's not a good idea to space out on what your opponents are doing so you can go post on OOT between decisions?
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mwahahahahahaha! Good point, although for me it's usually SS or micros.

In terms of serious critique, SB played this hand super-freaky, and unless I had some sort of pretty strong read on him (e.g. "he won't go nuts postflop without the near nuts") I'd keep chucking money in. Look what MP1 showed down, he wasn't even beating TP!

davelin 06-23-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of serious critique, SB played this hand super-freaky

[/ QUOTE ]

SB played his hand perfectly.

gharp 06-23-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like the cold-call+cap line preflop?

davelin 06-23-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You like the cold-call+cap line preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh I suck, I just saw the cap at the end. No I don't like it. Post-flop is perfectly fine.

onthebutton 06-23-2005 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What gritty determination by MP1. Buddy list him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, that nearly killed me. Funniest thing I've read today.

DeathDonkey 06-23-2005 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless I had some sort of pretty strong read on him (e.g. "he won't go nuts postflop without the near nuts")

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty much my exact read on most of my micro opponents. They are all too loose and too passive and I'm not going a million bets with a flush on a paired board when all they've done postflop is raise every chance they could. The original poster in this thread has some big misconceptions and telling him "you flopped the nuts keep raising" isn't going to help them.

To original poster: (1) This isn't about tight or loose, its about passive or aggressive. 3 betting preflop is too aggressive for the situation, folding preflop would be too tight. Calling the raise preflop would have been an appropriate level of tightness and aggression.

(2) postflop, put me in your head here, what were you thinking during the hand? I don't mean this in the "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING YOU RETARD?? way, I mean what was your thought process so we can use that as a stepping stone towards a better one. It seems to me you did little more than think "i have a flush i will raise now" and poker is too complex a game for that to fly.

-DeathDonkey

bottomset 06-23-2005 12:45 PM

MP1 coldcalled 6times with just a pair of 8's, thats one for the buddy list

Vote4Pedro 06-23-2005 12:51 PM

I like 3betting A9s vs. a steal, but against an MP raise its just a call. I play the flop and the turn the same, however, once he leads the river you gotta just call and hope he overplayed KK w/ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

deception5 06-23-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP1 coldcalled 6times with just a pair of 8's, thats one for the buddy list

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, he had 2 pair, that's pretty good. And there was only 1 overcard.

OtisTheMarsupial 06-23-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To original poster: (1) This isn't about tight or loose, its about passive or aggressive. 3 betting preflop is too aggressive for the situation, folding preflop would be too tight. Calling the raise preflop would have been an appropriate level of tightness and aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]

(2) postflop, put me in your head here, what were you thinking during the hand? I don't mean this in the "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING YOU RETARD?? way, I mean what was your thought process so we can use that as a stepping stone towards a better one. It seems to me you did little more than think "i have a flush i will raise now" and poker is too complex a game for that to fly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this:
"Look at these guys. They're going to give me all their money... Oh class is starting, prof is here, better put up CNN.com... I'm gonna win this big pot...Hey, this is fun...Oh, hi classmate (who is also police officer), I'm not doing anything illegal...I'm gonna win, I'm gonna win..."

I truly got caught up with what I had and barely even noticed the board paired. Honestly, I'm not to the stage where I'm even thinking about what other people have. I assume they're idiots who play with anything and if I'm just moderately tight aggressive they fold or lose and I win and things are great.

Really, I have a hard time keeping the table window open for a whole round, much less for a whole game. I just HAVE to go do something else - read email, post on OOT, read the news, make lunch...