Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Clock Stopped at end of USC-ND Game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358822)

Walter Pullis 10-16-2005 12:41 PM

Clock Stopped at end of USC-ND Game

Neutral observer.
This regards the clock stopping at 7 secs. when QB fumbled
out of bounds. Doesn't this rule seem wrong, even if interpreted correctly. You could "fumble your way to victory" in a sense. Say you've run out of time outs in the last minute. You instruct your backs to toss the ball out
of bounds as soon as they are hit if they are close to out of bounds but may not get there.

Actually I think the officials are supposed to keep the clock running, but try to get a ball in play as soon as possible.

Sponger15SB 10-16-2005 01:23 PM

Re: Clock Stopped at end of USC-ND Game

Damn, you've uncovered the secret to victory! I'm sure coaches will begin to use this to their advantage now that you've thought of this new and incredibly innovative strategy.

Walter Pullis 10-16-2005 01:45 PM

For crying out loud, I was exaggerating. I simply meant that you could get a cheap time out by a fumble, which is actually a mistake/bad play.

RacersEdge 10-16-2005 01:58 PM

See here.

jstnrgrs 10-17-2005 06:00 PM

I believe in the NFL, they would have kept the clock running, but CFB has a number of rule flaws that aren't in the NFL.

mmbt0ne 10-17-2005 06:27 PM

Also, luckily there's no TO without a TO penalty a la Chris Webber, because I think 85% of the USC sideline was trying to call one.

10-17-2005 06:30 PM

in the nfl inside of 2 minutes the ball would be dead wherever the fumble started and the clock would keep running, must be different in college

pokerdirty 10-17-2005 08:41 PM

thank you for starting another thread on this. no really.

ThaSaltCracka 10-17-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in the nfl inside of 2 minutes the ball would be dead wherever the fumble started and the clock would keep running, must be different in college

[/ QUOTE ]can someone please post a link for this rule.

imported_anacardo 10-18-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]can someone please post a link for this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

No,but I can tell you why it's the rule; one of John Madden's Raider teams won a game this way in the '70s. Ken Stabler shoveled the ball forward as he was being tackled, and some Raiders kicked it into the end zone, where Dave Casper fell on it to win the game. Insta-rule change.