Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   working on my river play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401876)

jt1 12-20-2005 04:20 AM

working on my river play

no reads (which makes me wonder)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

12-20-2005 04:27 AM

Re: working on my river play

With no reads it would be hard to judge this river, but I would probably do exactly the same thing you did. No reason to stop on the river. If it's a scare card for you, it could be a scare card for him. Alot of players play A-crap and so it's an unfortunate River, but you just have to give it up.

I would say he had A3, A4, or A7 giving two pair the way he just called down. But I wouldn't say he didn't have A-low.

TomBrooks 12-20-2005 04:27 AM

Edit: I would have check/called the river.

LoaferGee12 12-20-2005 05:13 AM

Yeah, this is fine. A lot of pairs will pay you off here and you never have to worry about a bluff-raise with the 4-straight and Ace.

Chairman Wood 12-20-2005 05:27 AM

I think its fine. I'm not worried. smells like he hit an A or that he slowplayed a 5 on the turn. I don't think this is worth another bet with this pot size

Chairman Wood 12-20-2005 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I would have check/called the river

[/ QUOTE ]
I really disagree. I think typical 3/6 player calls more much more often ( and with more hands that you beat than you don't) than he bets with when checked to. I don't think he is betting the river with all that many hands here that don't beat you.

deception5 12-20-2005 10:38 AM

I always worry about getting bluff-raised on rivers like this because I think it would be a good spot to raise with a busted flush draw. But it's probably a good fold.

12-20-2005 10:45 AM

I think this is bet/fold without a doubt. He is always betting hands that beat to you, and checking behind a lot of hands that you beat. By betting you allow him to call those weak hands and the board doesn't seem to lend itself to a bluff-raising that often.

True

Redd 12-20-2005 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: I would have check/called the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO checking this river is pretty weak. It's the standard situation where Villain will check with most worse hands and bet with most better ones.

Benman 12-20-2005 11:08 AM

River fold looks OK to me.