Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Q8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393616)

Chris Daddy Cool 12-07-2005 06:23 PM

Q8

live 20/40 game wednesday afternoon at bay101

i just came back from the bathroom and wandering around and i post my blind in the CO (BB + SB). its a pretty good game and i'm up a bit off of some sets i flopped.

An aggressive asian surpisingly limps UTG. Bland UTG+1 and UTG+2 limps. A young'n trying to play well limps in MP1. Bland MP2 follows suit. Then the hijack ruins the fun and raises.

I look down at my cards and see Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and make the call. The button and the SB both fold. BB calls.

8 way action for 17 small bets.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. UTG bets. UTG+1 folds. UTG+2 folds. MP1 raises. MP2 folds. Hijack 3-bets. I make a deep reach into my stack and cap it.

BB quickly gets out of the way. UTG stares for a long hard second, shakes his head muttering something about AT and folds. MP1 quietly does the same and the hijack calls. Just me and him heads up now.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG jumps out of his seat and moans. Hijack checks. I check.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks and I check.

He flips over JJ and I muck.

And UTG wants to kill me.

12-07-2005 06:49 PM

Re: Q8

Why did you cap it on the flop?

Brom 12-07-2005 06:53 PM

For the "free" card he took on the turn?

Rubeskies 12-07-2005 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the "free" card he took on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

He might also be trying to "Buy" some outs in this giant pot.

DeathDonkey 12-07-2005 07:21 PM

No chance he lays down when the ten pairs? If not I love it.

-DeathDonkey

12-07-2005 07:38 PM

I understand the free card part, but what do you mean buying outs?

jason_t 12-07-2005 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the free card part, but what do you mean buying outs?

[/ QUOTE ]

If our Q is dominated it's not an out; if we get a better Q to fold by capping we purchased outs. Etc.

CardSharpCook 12-07-2005 08:03 PM

Q: May I have a free card please?

A: Sure! That'll be $80!

CardSharpCook 12-07-2005 08:07 PM

just did the math. With 4 outs and assuming that you will indeed get a free river, this is play is EV neutral. In this case you actually have 5 outs, so it is a little better. I am amazed, however, that two players folded after betting and raising. Who lays down on the flop in live play?

Brom 12-07-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just did the math. With 4 outs and assuming that you will indeed get a free river, this is play is EV neutral. In this case you actually have 5 outs, so it is a little better. I am amazed, however, that two players folded after betting and raising. Who lays down on the flop in live play?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's assuming you get to see the river with your flop cap right? (i.e. no more than the 4 small bets go in)