Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   a DERB hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382151)

catlover 11-20-2005 04:14 PM

a DERB hand

Party 50/100. DERB is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Folded to Hijack who openraises. DERB 3-bets and they take the flop heads up.

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Check, bet, call.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Check, bet, call.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Bet, call.

DERB takes the pot as hijack shows 22.

Can anybody explain the river bet? To me, DERB's hand sure looks like "too good to bluff, not good enough to value bet."

Paluka 11-20-2005 04:18 PM

Re: a DERB hand

I think his flop check is the most baffling part of the hand.

newhizzle 11-20-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anybody explain the river bet? To me, DERB's hand sure looks like "too good to bluff, not good enough to value bet."

[/ QUOTE ]

i like his river bet, ace high will call here but will not bet, i also dont get his flop check

flawless_victory 11-20-2005 04:24 PM

i like the way he played this hand

bxpeter 11-20-2005 04:34 PM

Since DERB 3-bet preflop and then went with check-call on the flop and turn (i have no clue what thats all about), he can't give his opponent credit for anything. I think he would have just check-called the river if it didn't put that 4-straight out there. But now, ace-high probably won't value bet and its very unlikely that the oppoenent will bluff raise him. Given Derb's image he probably expects that many players will call with ace high.

So, vs. checking the river, he gains a bet when ace-high calls and loses the same if opponent has a better hand. (I assume derb doesn't fold on the river if he checks)

mike l. 11-20-2005 04:34 PM

im pretty sure derb calls a river raise right? and that's why he's a donk and will be broke soon. if you all say he'll bet fold that river then im wrong and he's a genius. but in that one street lies the answer. that flop check could be hints of genius. talk about unreadable.

newhizzle 11-20-2005 04:36 PM

im almost positive hes calling a raise

bxpeter 11-20-2005 04:38 PM

i can't imagine that he would call a river raise... but who knows. Part of the reason why he makes those crazy calls on the end has got to be to prevent people from bluffing at him in a situation like this.

mike l. 11-20-2005 04:38 PM

"im almost positive hes calling a raise"

ok. play against him as much as possible then.

mike l. 11-20-2005 04:40 PM

right but that river call there is clearly -EV once derb bets and gets raised. the play then would be check-call, not bet-call. that's not a bet-call hand or board.