Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Was Steve Martin ever funny? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391109)

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 01:34 PM

Was Steve Martin ever funny?

People tell me he was funny on Saturday Night Live. I wasnt alive back then, but its really hard to believe. I mean, every movie this loser makes is complete garbage.

miajag81 12-04-2005 01:35 PM

Re: Was Steve Martin ever funny?

You're right, he has never been funny. He's actually a decent actor (see Parenthood), but not funny.

jgorham 12-04-2005 01:35 PM

http://www.impawards.com/1982/poster...plaid_ver1.jpg

AngryCola 12-04-2005 01:38 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...yCola/jerk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ryCola/DRS.jpg

Both are good movies.

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 01:38 PM

Movie List

I liked my Blue Heaven when I was kid, I havent seen it in a long time. Cant find another movie that I liked on this list, but I missed Bringing Down the House.

trying2learn 12-04-2005 01:38 PM

i still think the jerk is f'n hillarious...if you haven't seen it, give that a try.

mj12 12-04-2005 01:40 PM

he was on SNL B4 i was born but i have seen many of those episodes and he was funny. ie his egyptian dance and especially two wild and crazy guys with DAn AKroyd

Yeti 12-04-2005 01:42 PM

Bowfinger was ok from what I remember.

Eurotrash 12-04-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.impawards.com/1982/poster...plaid_ver1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

he was great in Impawards.com, i agree. I'm surprised so few others like this one

TomCollins 12-04-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...yCola/jerk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ryCola/DRS.jpg

Both are good movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also add-
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://www.famouslocations.com/image...s/lastory_.jpg

and a decent remake here: http://www.mvps.org/st-software/Movi...ages/2653f.jpg

tdarko 12-04-2005 01:46 PM

come on kane really?

<u>classics</u>

the jerk
planes, trains &amp; automobiles
three amigos
roxanne
dirty rotten scoundrels
father of the bride

HopeydaFish 12-04-2005 01:46 PM

When I was about 9 years old I thought he was hilarious in "The Man with Two Brains"...then I tried watching it again a couple of years ago and couldn't make it all the way through without turning it off.

AngryCola 12-04-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also add-
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I forgot this one. It's gold.

Skipbidder 12-04-2005 01:48 PM

He was very funny on his Muppet Show appearance. You should me able to find out what the Muppet Show was by using Google.

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 01:50 PM

these are all PG movies.

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 01:51 PM

The first half of The Lonely Guy is gold.

Sponger15SB 12-04-2005 01:52 PM

If you want to find some really funny stuff, you gotta listen to his comedy albums. Try and download them off bearshare or whatever...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Cancuk 12-04-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
planes, trains &amp; automobiles

[/ QUOTE ]

So funny

AngryCola 12-04-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these are all PG movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're really not helping your image here.

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was about 9 years old I thought he was hilarious in "The Man with Two Brains"...then I tried watching it again a couple of years ago and couldn't make it all the way through without turning it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i guess i have to repect that he makes films for kids. i guess i loved him in beethoven, but itd be suicide to watch it now. i still remember the girls name was Rice. Which i never forgot because it is the dumbest possible name i ever heard of, and then beethoven beat up her unfaithful prom date. man, that was classic.

tdarko 12-04-2005 01:53 PM

i have a couple of his live stuff and ther are good but since he is such a physical comedian instead of a verbal comedian i think you lose a lot not being able to see him. i wish i had the DVD for "wild and crazy guy."

AngryCola 12-04-2005 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes. i guess i have to repect that he makes films for kids

[/ QUOTE ]

Virtually none of the movies listed in this thread are "for kids."

EDIT-

Time to go watch some football!

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bible Thumpers?

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 01:56 PM

So what ever happened with "your dad getting arrested for murder"

TomCollins 12-04-2005 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. i guess i have to repect that he makes films for kids. i guess i loved him in beethoven, but itd be suicide to watch it now. i still remember the girls name was Rice. Which i never forgot because it is the dumbest possible name i ever heard of, and then beethoven beat up her unfaithful prom date. man, that was classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

So was Airplane. Think thats a movie for the kids?

AngryCola 12-04-2005 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bible Thumpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

Godfather80 12-04-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a tool. The actor in "Beethoven" was Charles Grodin. Are you remotely familiar with Steve Martin?

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never saw that one, or any of the ones listed in this thread. i was born in 1986, i guess i have to catch up. Anything post 1992 worth seeing?

RunDownHouse 12-04-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything post 1992 worth seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. Nothing at all. Don't bother with anything older, its all completely devoid of talent.

Yeti 12-04-2005 02:03 PM

You have never seen Airplane?

Although I have no idea why it has been mentioned in this thread.

bwana devil 12-04-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i never saw that one, or any of the ones listed in this thread. i was born in 1986, i guess i have to catch up. Anything post 1992 worth seeing?

[/ QUOTE ]

so how many movies of his have you seen? you call all his movies garbage. if you havent seen the jerk or any of the other films listed why are you commenting? just to type?

bwana

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so how many movies of his have you seen? you call all his movies garbage. if you havent seen the jerk or any of the other films listed why are you commenting? just to type?

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

more or less

Clarkmeister 12-04-2005 02:07 PM

91 for sure. You've been teetering on the brink for a long time. Thanks.

Godfather80 12-04-2005 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

When you believe this man to be Steve Martin, anything is possible.

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...s%20Grodin.jpg

Blarg 12-04-2005 02:27 PM

Whether one likes him or not, along with National Lampoon and its influence on Animal House and Saturday Night Live, Steve Martin was perhaps the major force in American comedy in the last 30 years. Only Richard Pryor and George Carlin come anywhere close to that stratosphere.

His movies have never lived up to his talent, but he was a genius in concert, and his records were very good. He won an Emmy for comedy writing (on The Smothers Brothers) before anybody had ever heard of him and before most people on OOT were even born. He was by far the most popular guest, and a frequent one, on Saturday Night Live when that show was at its height and had no competition in the comedy arena, and he was a major reason for that. His "knowing fool" has become a comedy model people have been doing riffs on and making careers out of ever since.

He wasn't just funny, he has gut-busting, cramping funny at his height. Don't judge him by his movies. His forte is sketch comedy and stand-up.

He has done a few funny movies, like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles with John Candy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Michael Caine, and All of Me, I think it's called, with Lily Tomlin. Those were very good, especially PT&amp;A, but mostly he has settled for more mild, run of the mill family fare for his movies.

ChipWrecked 12-04-2005 02:32 PM

As Sponger and Blarg said, his early standup was gold. I had both of his original albums and played them to death.

Also, he was funny in an over-the-top, goofy sort of way that was sorely needed in those days.

The time of the Carter presidency was like a suicidal nightmare for the U.S. Being able to laugh at Steve's 'happy feet' and arrows through the head and 'wild and crazy guy' probably averted a national implosion.

KaneKungFu123 12-04-2005 02:38 PM

i actually have seen planes and trains. man, that movie was awesome. i take it back. steve martin is a comedic genius, and perhaps the most influential comedien of the last 30 years and especially the carter administration.

tdarko 12-04-2005 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The time of the Carter presidency was like a suicidal nightmare for the U.S. Being able to laugh at Steve's 'happy feet' and arrows through the head and 'wild and crazy guy' probably averted a national implosion.

[/ QUOTE ]
plus that album was a different direction than most of his predecessors. his roomates and his friends used a more colorful language and talked about edgier issues and continued to push the envelope while steve was the everyman. he touched every household by connecting with everybody b/c he talked about issues and occurences and irony's and problems that happen to all of us. his stand-up was truly original. its why i read his books.

TomCollins 12-04-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have never seen Airplane?

Although I have no idea why it has been mentioned in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it was PG, but not a "kids" movie.

evil_twin 12-04-2005 02:50 PM

Planes Trains and Automobiles is an all time comedy classic.