Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   hunting with dad (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369292)

cdxx 10-31-2005 11:01 PM

hunting with dad

my parents own a nice piece of land in the middle of nowhere in the northeast, where they built a house. beatiful place. this year they are combining their birthdays, house-warming, and thanksgiving into a big celebration for the whole family.

anyway, my dad has expressed desire to go hunting when i get up there. (deer season i think). i have no moral issues with hunting, but my girlfriend is vegetarian, so i'd have to either get into a fight with her, lie to her about it, or not go hunting with my dad. i've been hunting with my dad once a long time ago (duck season) but didn't kill anything, or seen anything killed. there's also a stigma around hunting in this country (imo), being associated with redneck/south/midwest, which i don't particularly care for.

what's my play, how will i feel about it?

KneeCo 10-31-2005 11:09 PM

Re: hunting with dad

Happy medium: Go, spend the day with your dad in the forest or whatever, drink a few beers, don't kill anything.

Show me a guy who think it's manly to kill a duck with a machine gun and I'll show you a guy with a small penis.

stabn 10-31-2005 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Happy medium: Go, spend the day with your dad in the forest or whatever, drink a few beers, don't kill anything.

Show me a guy who think it's manly to kill a duck with a machine gun and I'll show you a guy with a small penis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily we use shotguns for this.

pokerdirty 10-31-2005 11:22 PM

i've never gone deer hunting before, because i don't have the patients to sit in a tree stand all day waiting for a buck to come smell some fake deer piss.

I have been phesant/quail/chucker hunting, and it is fun. you move around, let the dog find the bird, flush it, and shoot it, and at the end of the day, you've got dinner.

as long as you are going to eat the venison (or at least SOMEONE is), then you shouldn't have any real problems with killing bambi. chances are you might not even see one, and you'll have some time to catch up with your pops.

Brainwalter 10-31-2005 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being associated with redneck/south/midwest

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid.

RunDownHouse 10-31-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's also a stigma around hunting in this country (imo), being associated with redneck/south/midwest, which i don't particularly care for.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who exactly is going to mock you for this? Its not like you're going hunting on national TV. Its all loved ones, right?

Go hunting. Your girlfriend should be able to handle it. After all, you didn't go veggie yourself because she doesn't eat meat, right?

cdxx 10-31-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. i would say that if my gf was more open-minded, this would be a no-brainer, go, have fun, try not to let redneck jokes at parties bother me. my main quandry is dealing with the old lady.

tonypaladino 10-31-2005 11:33 PM

Shoot your girlfriend.

mason55 10-31-2005 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God forbid.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. i would say that if my gf was more open-minded, this would be a no-brainer, go, have fun, try not to let redneck jokes at parties bother me. my main quandry is dealing with the old lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should get your balls out of her purse before you go too.

cdxx 10-31-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Go hunting. Your girlfriend should be able to handle it. After all, you didn't go veggie yourself because she doesn't eat meat, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no! it's actually the opposite. she tries pretty much any meat dishes i have now just for taste, though she'd never order or cook anything like that for herself.

her problem with hunting is really the killing and gutting/skinning afterwards. just the way she was brought up.

lapoker17 10-31-2005 11:39 PM

Hunting/Shooting are just as much an upper-class form of recreation as they are a redneck one. That said, deer hunting is boring, but time with your dad is good.

So, as someone else already advocated - go sit in a deer stand with your dad for a few hours - If you're not that into the hunting part, then this accomplished both of your goals - You spend time with him, but don't have to kill anything.

Emperor 11-01-2005 09:52 AM

You need to dump her and let her know why. She's an uptight environazi.

Seriously she needs to go take a wildlife conservation course. Or look it up on the internet. Without hunters game would overeat their supply of food and the next season there would be a mass death of game from starvation. It is HER responsibility to help with this, if the only way she can help is to support you, then she should being doing that at a minimum...

I say you take her with you. Jam a knife in one hand, and a rabbit full of 6 shot in the other.

BTW Machine guns aren't for shooting ducks, they are for overthrowing governments which have overstepped the authority given to them by the population. That is her responsibility as well, be sure to buy her a machine gun when you are out.

boedeker 11-01-2005 10:12 AM

maybe your dad just wants to have some quality time?

ask your girlfriend what she thinks, you might be surprised.

11-01-2005 10:17 AM

You will have many girlfriends, but only one dad. Go hunting or you may regret it someday, a fight with your girlfriend only means make-up sex later anyways.

Dave G. 11-01-2005 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You should get your balls out of her purse before you go too.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

If this were me and my girl kicked up a shitstorm about this, I'd seriously consider ditching her. Who the [censored] is she to try and tell you what to do? Are you a man or what?

This could be a great time with your dad. Don't let some hippy girl get in the way of that. If she doesn't like it, tell her you'll make it up to her later by letting her have sex with you.

jakethebake 11-01-2005 10:37 AM

Where is "go hunt, have a good time, refuse to fight with gf about it". If she wants to be a bitch then let her. But there's really no reason to fight with her.

jakethebake 11-01-2005 10:39 AM

By the way, it's clearly not hicks paying thousands and thousands of dollars for guided hunts around the country. In Texas a ton of business gets done on organized hunts. I think you're making poor assumptions.

11-01-2005 10:41 AM

Yeah, just talk to her about it and tell her you probably won't kill anything anyway.

sean c 11-01-2005 10:53 AM

If your gf told you to stop playing poker would you? Do what you want to your gf should be a non-factor in this one. Sounds like you have more of an issue with it than she probably will. Go hang out with your dad if you don't want to hunt just tell him you just want to go and hang out be in the outdoors for a morning that type of thing.

jakethebake 11-01-2005 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just talk to her about it and tell her you probably won't kill anything anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't talk to her about it at all. And I definitely wouldn't cop out with "I probably won't kill anything anyway." I would go do it. I would tell her I did it, and if she wants to get pissed she can, but I wouldn't argue with her about it.

11-01-2005 11:26 AM

This coming from a "redneck" woman who hunts, go with your dad and buy your dewey-eyed vegetarian a box of tissues. I will never understand how someone who eats meat is unable to fathom that an animal has to be killed to get it, whether it be a steer or a deer. The stigma you speak of against hunting is from pussies that are so far removed from the source of their food that they moan about cruel hunters while buying a grocery store chicken that spent its entire life in a filthy cage. By the way, most of the hunters and fishermen I know are avid conservationists.

Mars357 11-01-2005 03:15 PM

How about an option for

"Hunt with Dad because he won't be around forever and guys like Mars that have lost their father would give damn near anything for a day of hunting with him and while you are at it, dump your controling, pushing her views on you, c u n t of a girlfriend?"

TiK 11-01-2005 03:20 PM

[censored] that stupid stigma [censored]. I'm Japanese and from the Northeast and I love hunting. Go hunting, [censored] the girlfriend, have a good time.

-TiK

pokerdirty 11-01-2005 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go hunting, [censored] the girlfriend, have a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is every man's dream day.

CrashPat 11-01-2005 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about an option for

"Hunt with Dad because he won't be around forever and guys like Mars that have lost their father would give damn near anything for a day of hunting with him and while you are at it, dump your controling, pushing her views on you, c u n t of a girlfriend?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, on both counts. Hunting was always just an excuse to spend time with Dad and I am glad I never turned it down.

cdxx 11-01-2005 04:29 PM

thanks. declining it was never really something i'd consider.

IndieMatty 11-01-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no! it's actually the opposite. she tries pretty much any meat dishes i have now just for taste, though she'd never order or cook anything like that for herself.

her problem with hunting is really the killing and gutting/skinning afterwards. killing and just the way she was brought up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you have to do the second part. It's a sin not to.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/Wanado...ommyMoeder.jpg