Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   QQ-no idea how to play this-badly butchered? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344579)

aces_full 09-26-2005 09:13 AM

QQ-no idea how to play this-badly butchered?

Party $25NL 6-max. I'm UTG with QQ. Villain just sat down at the table with a full stack and posts behind the button. I have never played with villain before, and since it is his first hand, I know absolutely nothing about how he plays.

pre-flop:
hero raises to $1.50,fold to villain,villain rerasies to $3,blinds fold,hero calls $1.50

flop 237r hero bets $4,villain raises to $8,hero calls $4

turn 6 hero checks, villain bets $4,hero calls $4

river 3 hero checks, villain checks

Comments on all streets.

My default line is that with no read pre-flop I assume a 2-bet is AA-JJ or AK. With QQ here I don't like to 3-bet against an unknown. With these small stack sizes my opinion is that if I were to 3-bet, the only way I don't get stacked is if he lets me off the hook easy and pushes his AA or KK pre-flop. If he were to flat call AA or KK, I'm getting broke on any under card flop.

Once that flop hit, I figure I'm either way ahead/way behind. If he pushed flop, I would probably puke and fold, but this min-raise could either be JJ (or maybe even something as weak as 99) or a missed AK putting me to the test.

How should situations like this be played. If I had a read on this guy it might play out easier, and my feeling is with $25 starting stacks, $10 already in the pot, and $17 behind, I have very little room to play. If I 3-bet flop, it's all in. I don't like folding to min-raise here, it seems too damn weak.

canis582 09-26-2005 09:16 AM

Re: QQ-no idea how to play this-badly butchered?

Looks like he over-played AK or TT-JJ. You want to get your money in against an unknown at 25nl with QQ. I'd be a millionare if I could do it all day.

Since he was new, he may have been trying to run you over with rags.

troymclur 09-26-2005 09:21 AM

what he said.

I think assuming he had JJ or better is a bit much. your 1.50 raise was pretty weak for QQ. everything else is fine.

rikz 09-26-2005 10:34 AM

The min-raise preflop probably indicates Villain has a big pair or possibly AK. So, using that as a base, you're behind AA and KK, but ahead of AK and JJ (and chopping with an unlikely QQ). Leading the flop is OK, too. The min-raise from villain on the flop is odd, but calling it is ok. He could have min-raised this flop with JJ/QQ/KK/AA, but AK seems less likely now. Check/call the $4 on the turn is ok, too, since there is still JJ that you beat, and QQ that you tie. I think you are losing to KK or AA, but you have better than 5:1 odds to call that river bet.

Seems ok to me. If he did have AA or KK, he milked it for every possible penny with his min-raises and small bets. I think he priced you in to seeing a show down. I don't really like his line for AA, however. If I were him, I probably would have raised a little more preflop, which would have made your flop bet a little bigger, and then I'd call your flop bet and then bet/raise the turn. I think the board is pretty safe, and I'd like to think I could put you on a pocket pair TT-KK.

Spladle Master 09-26-2005 10:44 AM

After he re-raises you pre-flop, 3-bet it to $9. Push the flop if no ace or king appears. Expect to be called by A7.

aces_full 09-26-2005 03:40 PM

Hypothetical:

What if villain pushes turn? Could I really fold for $14 more in a $24 pot? Given that this is $25NL and I am facing an unkonwn where I am left to guess, and stacks are 100BB or less, once I decide to call the PF reraise, I'm probably getting stacked by AA or KK unless they price me in.

This same situation came up last week except villain pushed turn, I called and he had KK. In this hand here when villain bet $4 on turn/checked river, I had a feeling I was ahead, and I was right-he showed JJ.