Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   pop quiz (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395998)

elindauer 12-11-2005 04:43 AM

pop quiz

Old man river decides one day to check his pokertracker database. He's been playing for a LONG time. In particular, he's wondering about how well he's handled all those crying calls over the years.

Old man river decides to examine all the times he was getting 19:1 to call, heads up, but could only beat a bluff.

Since old man river reads 2+2, he knows his math. Getting 19:1 to call, he needs to win 5% of the time to justify calling. He runs the SQL query and discovers... his win rate in these situations is exactly 5%!

12-11-2005 04:47 AM

Re: pop quiz

He's too tight. Old men are always too tight. I'm very interested in seeing who can think straight at 3:48 AM and enlighten me on this matter. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

12-11-2005 04:50 AM

If instead of calling he raised a few times would that bring up his win rate?

bottomset 12-11-2005 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If instead of calling he raised a few times would that bring up his win rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you EVER RAISE SOMEONE WHO IS BLUFFING ON THE RIVER when you beat a bluff(but no legitamite hands)???

you might consider a bluff-raise when you think they are bluffing but still have you beat, but that is a very rare spot

12-11-2005 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's too tight. Old men are always too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guthrie 12-11-2005 05:12 AM

I just want to know how to run the SQL query and get the results.

bottomset 12-11-2005 05:13 AM

I personally haven't seen very much bluffing going on in massive pots that are HU, because

A. 20BB pots are rare
B. most massive pots aren't HU

I'm not sure what the average players bluff frequency is in 20BB pots

also boards with broken draws are more likely to have a river bluff than the raggy boards, and LAGs tend to have a hell I can only win with a bluff mentality a lot

so if he's only winning 5% against LAGs he's likely too tight

SoftcoreRevolt 12-11-2005 05:23 AM

It feels like we are not getting enough information here for some reason. I'm leaning towards too tight, But right now I'm mainly bothered by the fact the subject of this thread wasn't "POP QUIZ HOTSHOT"

tyler_cracker 12-11-2005 05:29 AM

If OMR wants his crying calls to be +EV, he needs to be right *more* than 5% of the time. Thus, he is too loose with his crying calls (because they are zero EV).

Now that i've answered, can i throw out a "this poll sucks" post? Sweet.

THIS POLL SUCKS.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-11-2005 06:07 AM

He's too loose.

He should have just called on the times it was LIKELY his opponent was bluffing.