Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hand #2, OOP trying to buy a few outs. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404014)

12-23-2005 12:09 PM

Hand #2, OOP trying to buy a few outs.

3/6 live game, 7 handed
The Button is a thinking aggressive player who becomes very aggressive with position. He has raised my BB 4 outta the last 6 times.

Hero is in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop, 3 limps, 1 fold, <font color="blue"> Button Raises </font> , SB Folds, <font color="red"> Hero calls </font> , limpers all call.

Flop (5 players, 10 SB)

5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero Checks, 3 checks, <font color="blue"> Button bets, </font> <font color="red"> Hero Raises, </font> 3 folds, <font color="blue">Button Calls </font>

Turn (2 players 6 BB)
2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Hero Bets, </font> <font color="blue"> Button calls </font>

River (2 players, 8 BB)

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> Hero Bets </font>

LLL

crunchy1 12-23-2005 12:12 PM

Re: Hand #2, OOP trying to buy a few outs.

This looks like major spewing. You read says that he's raised your BB 4 times - but on this hand he's also raising 3 limpers. Your read says nothing about how apt this player is to lay down his hand.

PF call is fine. C/F the flop.

12-23-2005 12:20 PM

Crunchy1 is entirely right. There are some spots where, even though it's a big pot, a C/F is in order. On the flop you have no hand and only the weakest of draws. If Mr. Agressive has raised you so often then you will have other opportunities.

jba 12-23-2005 12:21 PM

I would 3bet preflop (edit: because of your read). if he calls the flop and turn i'm done.

crunchy1 12-23-2005 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would 3bet preflop (edit: because of your read).

[/ QUOTE ]
YUK!

OP's read does not factor in 3 limpers into the read. If this was a steal situation - I agree, it's an easy 3-bet. However - it's not a steal situation.

I can't see any situation where a 3-bet here is favorable. I mean - even if we knew it would fold out all 3 limpers - do we really want to isolate a thinking, aggro player OOP after he's shown strength against 5 players?

jba 12-23-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would 3bet preflop (edit: because of your read).

[/ QUOTE ]
YUK!

OP's read does not factor in 3 limpers into the read. If this was a steal situation - I agree, it's an easy 3-bet. However - it's not a steal situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH MAN.... missed the limpers. I thought it was a button steal. 3betting is criminal.

12-23-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your read says nothing about how apt this player is to lay down his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly believe he can lay down a hand.
Also, when He has been raising my blinds, there has always been at least a couple of players limp in before his raise (this is 3/6 after all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

crunchy1 12-23-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, when He has been raising my blinds, there has always been at least a couple of players limp in before his raise (this is 3/6 after all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically - he's just a LAG.

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly believe he can lay down a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
You "believe he can lay down a hand" - OR - "your read based on previous observations is that he lays down hands". There's a big difference.

Sorry LLL - but any way you cut this hand - it's still spewing. A7s (A-high @ showdown) in a raised, multiway pot just isn't a winning strategy.

12-23-2005 02:10 PM

Ok, lets destroy my thinking here.

1) Preflop call is fine

2) On the flop, I have an overcard, a backdoor flush draw and a backdoor straight draw. I check the flop, The Button bets which I felt he would do regardless of the flop if all checked to him.

3) Still on the flop, The pot is now 11 SB's. I'd rather not fold. I may not have a ton of outs, but I may have enough.

4) I thought that if I raised the flop, a couple of things might happen. 1) Might knock out a higher A, freeing up some outs. It might buy me a free card (yes I am OOP, but often I can check raise on the flop and not get bet into after I check the Turn). 3) I get a little info on how much the villain likes his hand.

So, folding was not an option I looked at. With 11 SB's in and it being one back to me, my choice was between call or raise. I chose raise for the above stated reasons.

5) The turn, I picked up a few more outs, and the flop call from an aggressive villain told me that he was probably not really happy with his hand. I bet out again hoping to fold him. I didn't.

6) The River sucked. I didn't hit my outs. I am not calling with A7 but I will bet with it. I felt that a bet was my only hope to win the pot. I felt I had a better than 8:1 odds he'd fold a better hand.

Rip it apart.

LLL

12-23-2005 03:00 PM

My first reaction is: Why do you raise the flop here? . . . you got a lot of folds but thats bad when you are drawing! You want people to call when you are drawing . . . only raise to protect when you have something worth protecting. (Ace high??). If he has a pair of T's you really only have 3 A outs (maybe 1.5 for flush, 1 for straight) that may not be any good if naybody has a bigger ace. I would probably fold (or call if the table is loose enough that everyone behind you will call)

On the turn You can't really raise for value against 1 opponent with the flush draw you picked up. Are you hoping he will fold? He called your C/R so he probably has something or a really strong draw.

Why do you raise the river? He has called you down so far . . . (if he is thinking) he most likely has a pair of T's with a kicker not quite good enough to raise with . . . Do you put him on a busted draw?