Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Commerce 400 NL: Three-way Deep Stacks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401642)

BoxTree 12-19-2005 09:40 PM

Commerce 400 NL: Three-way Deep Stacks

Commerce, 5-handed, 400 NL, 5/10 Blinds

Relevant stacks/reads:
SB: $2,200. A bit loose preflop and has made some truly horrid bluffs and misplays postflop. Example: Ten-handed, raised KTo UTG to $30. Tight player in MP2 reraised to $120 ($500 stack), folds to KTo who calls. Flop is KQ7r. KTo pushes. MP2 calls with AA.
BB: ~$700. Tilting a bit. Tight preflop but seems confused postflop. Likes putting in his money with a good but not great draw (e.g. nut flush draw and two overs with one card to come) regardless of other information (pot size, stack sizes, opponents, etc.).

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the Button.

Fold, fold, Hero calls 10, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop (3 players, $25 after disgusting rake): 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets 20, BB calls 20, Hero raises to 80, SB calls 60, BB calls 60.

Turn (3 players, $265): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 150, BB calls 150, Hero is all-in for 1,065.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

12-19-2005 10:28 PM

Re: Commerce 400 NL: Three-way Deep Stacks

two thumbs up

BobboFitos 12-19-2005 11:19 PM

raise preflop

BoxTree 12-19-2005 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I agree here. If I raise:

a) the hand will be HU. This seems to be ideal.
b) the hand will be 3-way. I now have a larger than average pot with a mediocre-to-crappy holding. But I'm in position and I was the preflop aggressor. This situation is okay.
c) I win the blinds. This sucks. I'd rather play the hand and see if something develops that will allow me to win a hugep pot.
d) I get re-raised. This is fine. I can fold and now I don't have to play a potentially dangerous hand.

If I limp:

a) the hand will likely be 3-way. I can either choose to try to make and win a large pot or release in a small pot. Smells like Teen Spirit.
b) one of the blinds will raise. I have an easy fold.
c) the SB will fold. This is very unlikely.

All things considered, I'm not sure that a raise is better than a call. Is there really that much of a difference here?

Edit: I should also mention that if my raise gets called, I gain very little information about my opponents' hands. Any hand with which they'd call a limp, they'd likely call a small raise.

BobboFitos 12-19-2005 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there really that much of a difference here?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
c) I win the blinds. This sucks. I'd rather play the hand and see if something develops that will allow me to win a hugep pot

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesnt suck whatsoever. I cant even really argue this, as it pretty much gets to the root of who I am as a poker player, but you really need to evaluate your hands worth. If I could take 15$ there everytime then you're maximizing EV in that spot.

Maulik 12-20-2005 12:01 AM

BoxTree,

If I’m going to play this hand PF, its for a raise.

What’s 400NL 5/10 blinds?

barycentric 12-20-2005 12:09 AM

yes it's 5/10 blinds unfortunately [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Maulik 12-20-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes it's 5/10 blinds unfortunately [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

400$ cap?

This reminds me of a terrible Bellagio $2/5 NL capped @ $200.

soah 12-20-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather play the hand and see if something develops that will allow me to win a hugep pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I can either choose to try to make and win a large pot or release in a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reality check. You have A4o.

flawless_victory 12-20-2005 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather play the hand and see if something develops that will allow me to win a hugep pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I can either choose to try to make and win a large pot or release in a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reality check. You have A4o.

[/ QUOTE ]
i love A4o... ive won lots of big pots w/ her... i raise that sh.t from all positions regularly... A5o too.