Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Guitar playing: on the frets themselves (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331963)

DavidC 09-07-2005 08:53 PM

Guitar playing: on the frets themselves

Hi there.

I fiddle with a guitar every now and then. I have an accoustic with tough strings that are really high up, so you have to press on them pretty hard to make noise.

When you miss a fret slightly, and end up pressing a little too close or too far behind a fret, it makes a different noise, which is basically the sound of the string vibrating on the fret itself (the metal piece) instead of off of it (i.e. like it should sound).

This is a bit of a dull sound.

However, it's not so bad once you get used to it. It's not the beautiful "clean" sound of a guitar, but it sounds okay.

So I'm curious, has anyone ever purposely played in this manner: essentially using distortion on an accoustic guitar, in a recorded song somewhere?

--Dave.

P.S. I don't entirely know what the hell I'm talking about, so I hope you guys do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

unreal_nh 09-07-2005 08:56 PM

Re: Guitar playing: on the frets themselves

i know i've heard a song like that but i dont recall the name.

09-07-2005 08:58 PM

If you want to lower the action, just file down the bridge with some sandpaper. It's a pretty easy procedure.

Slow Play Ray 09-07-2005 09:02 PM

This is called "high action" and is generally a very undesirable trait in a guitar. As you know, it makes it harder to play and it produces an undesirable buzzing sound when played improperly. I can't think of anyone who has used this to their advantage offhand, but you do have me curious now.

It is very common to play muted chords and/or strings, but I do not think this is what you are asking.

smokingrobot 09-07-2005 09:05 PM

i do stuff like that when i play by myself to try and make different sounds etc... but i couldtn say i've heard it in any songs.

although i wouldnt doubt someone out there has put it in somewhere.

oljumpstart 09-07-2005 10:09 PM

Funny you should mention this, Jerry Garcia is one guitarist who used to play with a very high action and extra heavy strings. Although this is much harder to play, it produces a richer sound because of the increased tension placed on the strings. My takamine had a rather high action when I bought it and I ended up having adjusted down, but I am no Jerry Garcia.

Slow Play Ray 09-07-2005 10:14 PM

who the hell is jerry garcia?

<font color="white">p.s. this is exactly why i said "generally...undesirable" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font>

DavidC 09-07-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do stuff like that when i play by myself to try and make different sounds etc... but i couldtn say i've heard it in any songs.

although i wouldnt doubt someone out there has put it in somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing that you can do is pluck a string, then just touch it gently with the top side of your finger nail, near the outter end of the string (away from the sound board).

also, if you pluck a string up higher (towards the keys?) than you normally would, it makes a different sound.

What do you guys mean by "high action", exactly?

oljumpstart 09-07-2005 10:21 PM

Just some guy who looked like you, nevermind...

Slow Play Ray 09-07-2005 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys mean by "high action", exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The action on a guitar is the height of the strings above the fretboard.

High action = you have to push strings harder to create notes = harder to play.