Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Has anyone tried using a feminine user name? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244261)

grjr 05-02-2005 04:29 PM

Has anyone tried using a feminine user name?

Since I like to tweak your noodles here I thought I throw this out for discussion. In the past month at Party .50/1 I have started playing some using a feminine name. I have played 7600 hands and have won 7.5BB/100. In the same 7600 hand timeframe my nondescript user name has won at 5.2BB/100.

I did have a big winning session on the feminine name (which I immediately donked back off the next day) so that could have skewed the results seeing that it's a small sample so far.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried a feminine user name and what the results were. It seems to me a lot of the other players won't take you as seriously and may call down more hands(whether consciously or subconsciously).

Discuss.

MrWookie47 05-02-2005 04:33 PM

Re: Has anyone tried using a feminine user name?

I'll take this opportunity to chime in and be that guy who mentions sample size with respect to win rates.

2+2 Junkie 05-02-2005 04:33 PM

I have tried it, but like you only for a small sample. However, I did notice that a lot more people called me down with whatever. Of course, this caused a great deal of variance. I like chumps calling me down, but sometimes it is nice to fold some people up occasionally. I left the name, but at the time, I was a bad poker player. I am more able to deal with the fish now, and might try it again.

droolie 05-02-2005 04:39 PM

My wife has a couple accounts and I think it's probably +EV to play under them. Not many female players are maniacs so when you play very aggressively I think you are more likely to be given respect. Not by much but every little bit of edge helps. It is weird though. You get a lot of guys messing with in the chatbox you when you play as a female. They'll either hit on you or get really crude and try to degrade you. It brings a weird vibe to the table that can be annoying if you're not in the mood for it.

joeski19 05-02-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I like to tweak your noodles here I thought I throw this out for discussion. In the past month at Party .50/1 I have started playing some using a feminine name. I have played 7600 hands and have won 7.5BB/100. In the same 7600 hand timeframe my nondescript user name has won at 5.2BB/100.

I did have a big winning session on the feminine name (which I immediately donked back off the next day) so that could have skewed the results seeing that it's a small sample so far.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried a feminine user name and what the results were. It seems to me a lot of the other players won't take you as seriously and may call down more hands(whether consciously or subconsciously).

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that you HotAmy19 ? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

aK13 05-02-2005 04:46 PM

I played about 1000 hands using my mom's account (since I wasn't eligible for Instant Bankroll, so she signed up for me =D), and I didn't really notice any difference. But just to throw this out there, using a fake name (i.e. a female name when your name isn't) is illegal and can get your money frozen, right?

grjr 05-02-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried it, but like you only for a small sample. However, I did notice that a lot more people called me down with whatever. Of course, this caused a great deal of variance. I like chumps calling me down, but sometimes it is nice to fold some people up occasionally. I left the name, but at the time, I was a bad poker player. I am more able to deal with the fish now, and might try it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you mention variance. Here are the two graphs for this timeperiod.

This is the feminine name:
http://home.satx.rr.com/alphadeals/GeorgeneGraph.jpg

This is the nondecript name:
http://home.satx.rr.com/alphadeals/GrjrGraph.jpg

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out with more hands involved.

grjr 05-02-2005 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played about 1000 hands using my mom's account (since I wasn't eligible for Instant Bankroll, so she signed up for me =D), and I didn't really notice any difference. But just to throw this out there, using a fake name (i.e. a female name when your name isn't) is illegal and can get your money frozen, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The name on the account is legit. It's just the player name that is feminine. You can have any player name you want, right?

aK13 05-02-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The name on the account is legit. It's just the player name that is feminine. You can have any player name you want, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I was assuming your table icon was feminine...?

BAK 05-02-2005 05:14 PM

All my accounts are female (as am I), so I cannot speak to the question of differing results.

But I can say that there are a lot of sad and lonely (or just sick!) men playing poker online - especially on Party! It is a rare ring game session that I don't get hit on and it is not unusual for me to have to turn off chat on a guy because it is too much. And explaining that they are looking at a cartoon character doesn't seem to help. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]