Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Recommend me ANY music (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407421)

Ulysses 12-30-2005 02:45 PM

Re: Recommend me ANY music

Rick: Good stuff. It's probably time for a female singer/songwriter thread.

Harv: That Toad album is pretty good, but sounds a little dated imo.

Jack: You check out that BV3K album yet? It rules.

turnipmonster 12-30-2005 02:56 PM

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine + Four and More. this is his second quintet kicking ass at carnegie hall. Miles said the band got in a huge fight before the show and everyone was mad as hell at each other and that's why it kicks so much ass. tony williams, then 18, also lights a fire under everyone else better than anyone on this record.

Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello - Painted From Memory. I think these are some of the best songs ever written. this album is perfect.

Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra - Concert in the Garden. My personal favorite living composer, easily the most unique composer in jazz today.

Fred Hersch and Bill Frisell - Songs we know. Fred is a Bill Evans disciple and Frisell is Frisell. Very textural album considering it's a piano/guitar duo.

Ben Monder - Excavation. very very modern compositions for guitar, bass, drums and voice (wordless).

John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert. this is Trane's last recording before he died, with Alice Coltrae, Rashied Ali, Jimmy Garrison and Pharoah Sanders. Extremely noisy and avant garde, but possibly some of the most searing music every recorded. Trane sounds like he is staring down death on this.

zephed 12-30-2005 03:30 PM

John Paul Jones-Zooma

zephed 12-30-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
try these for something a little different if you don't already know them:

os mutantes - s/t (late 60s brazilian band)

monks - black monk time (60s american GIs stationed in
germany making truly unique rock'n'roll. nothing like them.)

sam the sham & the pharoahs - best of, or whatever.(60s rocknroll. the dudes that sing 'wooly bully' and 'lil red riding hood')

wailers - 'boys from tacoma' (60s instrumental rocknroll.)

gories - anything by the gories. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] early 90s garage/punk/rocknroll from deeeetroit.

falcons - i found a love (60s r&b/soul, lead by wilson pickett. great stuff)

lyres - on fyre, ahs 1005 (80s, boston based, post-DMZ. garage/psych/rocknroll)

[/ QUOTE ]
YOU FORGOT
THE SONICS-HERE ARE THE SONICS

Predator314 12-30-2005 03:44 PM

The best CD I bought this year was released in 1999. It's from a band called Union. The band has Bruce Kulick from Kiss and John Corabi from Motley Crue. I'm not a big Kiss or Crue fan, but this cd is great. It's hard to find in my area though, but you can get it here:

Union

Some other good CDs I bought this year (I'm probably skipping a bunch, but I buy anywhere from 5-10 CDs a month on average.

Black Label Society - Mafia
Nickelback - All the Wrong Reasons
Disturbed - 10,000 Fists
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Essential SRV

I'm drawing a blank right now. I'm at work. I've bought some real turds this year, but these are above are pretty good. Trust me on the Union CD. If you want to sample some songs, my favorites are "Robin's Song" and "Love (I don't it anymore)".

Ulysses 12-30-2005 03:59 PM

Predator,

"John Corabi from Motley Crue."

Come on, now.

Jack of Arcades 12-30-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't been able to find it but I've heard a little bit of it and I agree.

whiskeytown 12-30-2005 08:54 PM

Re: Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later

[ QUOTE ]

whiskeytown - strangers almanc (alt country)

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth - I picked this name after listening to Pneunomia - though I picked it online before I picked it as the nic. for this board.

RB

thatpfunk 12-30-2005 09:06 PM

this band is pretty indie/hipster but i can't remember anyone ever posting about them. Le Tigre, a very "different" sound, but fun to listen to when I'm getting ready to go out. Kinda feminist/political punkish/8th grade garage band energy and sound:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Another CD I absolutely love (and hipster but I haven't heard anyone talk about it either), Nouvelle Vague. All '80's punk covers, not exactly how you would expect to hear them. I really [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this cd and I am a sucker for female vocalists:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

CallMeIshmael 12-30-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't been able to find it but I've heard a little bit of it and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you heard 'Drinking in LA' yet?.. because if you havent, its SOOOOOOO good.