Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   think about this... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383923)

Slow Play Ray 11-23-2005 01:18 PM

Re: think about this...

This thread is moving in a brilliant direction I never foresaw.

And the beautiful part is, people are still chiming in with the wrong answer to the OP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Patrick del Poker Grande 11-23-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe the conveyor ramps up to infinite speed and the universe collapses?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can use kevyk's work to figure out the speed of the wheels and conveyor... how do I say this without giving it away... no, that's all. However, this still has nothing to do with the plane's ability to take off, given the parameters here.

mmbt0ne 11-23-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gravity lol

[/ QUOTE ]

so good.

how is this that complicated though? the plane is not going to take off. the conveyor will push it backwards with the same force that the wheels push it forward, and the plane will stay stationary relative to the ground. and LMAO to the person who thought the propellors were the source of the air that blows over the wings. AWESOME. i got a 1 on the ap C physics test, so maybe I am a physics idiot. but that was for lack of effort not intellegince.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when people say this. It's like a foolproof excuse for being afraid of trying and failing.

kevyk 11-23-2005 01:29 PM

Yeah, except I realized right after I posted that I made a big mistake...

Namely, the speed of the wheel where it touches the ground is zero if there is no slipping. Duh...in that case you've got no treadmill-runway at all.

In any case it doesn't matter. The moving runway doesn't exert any force on the plane, so the engines will accelerate it to normal airspeed and it will take off. The wheels will just spin faster than they would otherwise.

Voltron87 11-23-2005 01:32 PM

I got a 5 on BC calc, im not just making it up. i have tons of evidence to say that im a smart person.

and yes, intelligence was spelled incorrectly on purpose.

mmbt0ne 11-23-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a 5 on BC calc, im not just making it up. i have tons of evidence to say that im a smart person.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be great at one thing, but not at another. I'm not saying you aren't smart overall, you've made sure to make that fact clear many times before [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], just that your excuse for your physics grade is weak at best.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even notice. Of course, I only got a 1 on my AP English exam, but that's because I didn't try. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Patrick del Poker Grande 11-23-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can be great at one thing, but not at another. I'm not saying you aren't smart overall, you've made sure to make that fact clear many times before [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], just that your excuse for your physics grade is weak at best.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even notice. Of course, I only got a 1 on my AP English exam, but that's because I didn't try. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
How'd you two bitches do on your AP art exam? Get some MS Paint!

Eurotrash 11-23-2005 01:42 PM

ok, I think I'm still missing some stuff, but I tried to be as thorough as possible. I demand a lot of partial credit for showing formulas

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/6564/plane4vg.jpg

LetYouDown 11-23-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
opposite direction of the plane

[/ QUOTE ]
Define "opposite" if the plane isn't moving.

Patrick del Poker Grande 11-23-2005 01:44 PM

Alright, now what if it's a jet?