Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Need to write some articles on sit and gos (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300270)

curtains 07-25-2005 05:31 PM

Need to write some articles on sit and gos

I need to write some articles on sit and go's for some website. Does anyone have any good ideas what I should write them on or where I should focus?

Jman28 07-25-2005 05:34 PM

Re: Need to write some articles on sit and gos

Tell them to minraise and fold to a push a lot on the bubble.

pooh74 07-25-2005 05:34 PM

Are they supposed to be strategy focused or just plain descriptive/commentary?

Lady Dont Tekno 07-25-2005 05:35 PM

How about giving bad advice and giving us all +EV.

LDT

Bluff Daddy 07-25-2005 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell them to minraise and fold to a push a lot on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

and play any suited, connected, or face cards in level 1-3

curtains 07-25-2005 05:40 PM

Anyone have any serious ideas!!!! They can be written in any style but should be instructive somehow.

KingDan 07-25-2005 05:41 PM

Aggression on the bubble

Pushing any two from SB.

Explain push/fold situations.

Jman28 07-25-2005 05:43 PM

Since the first 3 responses were jokes, started by me, I feel obligated to give a real response.

Talk about ICM and Push-Fold calculations. This is the biggest part of SNG strategy, especially assuming the readers have other poker knowledge.

Talk about payout structures and the effects on the game they have, you know, when it's bubble time, or when payouts are top-heavy, etc.

Discuss breifly the way you gain EV by watching to players go all in against each other, and the GAP concept (both in TPFAP).

Discuss br requirements, and what they mean. Don't just give appropriate BRs for different levels. Talk about variance, and what your ROI/ITM does and doesn't mean over a short period of time.

Talk about paying close attention to how other players react to the structure (on the bubble, ITM, when there's a short stack, etc.) and talk about how to exploit that.

That's all I got for now. I need a nap badly, and I think I'll take it.

UMTerp 07-25-2005 05:48 PM

How knowledgeable will your readers be? There's no point of discussing ICM or something like that if it's going to go right over their heads.

Iamafish 07-25-2005 05:51 PM

Why would you want to write an article for SnG's anyway?

Please explain how you benifit.

UMTerp 07-25-2005 05:55 PM

FWIW, is this is going to be a series of articles, I think bankroll requirements/management would be an excellent place to start.

You could explain the various structures of SNGs on different sites, mention Turbos, rakeback, etc. Sort of give a whole pverview of the SNG scene before you go into any actual startegy on your next article.

AbelM 07-25-2005 06:04 PM

If it's a SNG specific article i would definitely go for a shortstack situation where you push with a marginal hand.

You could use a simple sample hand where you push with a quite bad holding and explain in detail why it is +EV (assign the blinds a calling range and do the calculations). You could do a borderline hand which is +EV from the button but -EV from MP or something. Basically this is a variation of the SHAL chapter in HOH2.

You could also do something about the resteal: When you should do it, when absolutely not. Sample hand could be a typical player who steals a lot makes it 2.5 BB from the button and you push with you're suited connector from the BB with a 12 BB stack...something like that.

Hope these ideas might help you, good luck.

fishhead 07-25-2005 06:10 PM

Depending on the audience, I think a solid guide on reading hands would be especially helpful. I remember CrisBrown, William, Aleo and Bluff1 wrote a few good ones some time ago. There's also a decent article by Sudhir K. Padmanabhan called "A Basic Primer to Reading Hands in Holdem" (PM me if you want a soft copy of the Sudhir article or some links to the others...I can dig them up).

What site are you writing for?

-Bruce

rvg72 07-25-2005 06:10 PM

Generally, provide some basic theory and follow it up with a series of examples explaining how you would play each one and then show how changing some of the variables even very slightly would have you play it differently and why. You do this quite a bit here and I find it invaluable.

Specifically I'd like to see how you defend against all-in pushes in various situations - what combination of factors makes you call vs fold.

rvg

fishhead 07-25-2005 06:14 PM

Here's the article: http://www.twoplustwo.com/skp1.html

Iamafish 07-25-2005 06:17 PM

Isnt there really nothing about SnG's?

Isnt that like a good thing?

durron597 07-25-2005 06:19 PM

Are they seriously paying you enough to make it +EV?

Iamafish 07-25-2005 06:21 PM

Me?

curtains 07-25-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to write an article for SnG's anyway?

Please explain how you benifit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being paid.

curtains 07-25-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's close.... but okay there are other benefits to writing articles and having published works out there.

raptor517 07-25-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no1 that reads the articles will gain anyhting they wouldnt by reading 2+2, also, getting published in ANY form looks excellent on a resume. holla

trdi 07-25-2005 06:35 PM

I still don't think that's a good idea. I wouldn't do it and I don't know as much as you do. I can share and debate my ideas on 2+2 forum, but that's it. And that's because my knowledge CAME from 2+2 forum. And will continue to come. But to share my knowledge for some money and to have my name written above it... no way.

I would do it for lots of money, obviously. But I don't think that's the case here.

Write what EVERYBODY else writes in similar articles. Basic stuff. Add some examples to be more original. Why do you think all SNG articles look the same? Because their authors don't know anything else? Yeah, right!

curtains 07-25-2005 06:37 PM

How do you define a ton of money?

trdi 07-25-2005 06:45 PM

How many hours will you spend writing the article? Plus all other article related stuff like exchanging emails with the site, reading/writing in this topic etc...? Not to mention that you have taken this stuff so seriously that you are actually thinking about what to write! Now take that number of hours and calculate how much would you get playing poker online. Multiply by 10. If they pay more than that - fine.

trdi 07-25-2005 06:46 PM

ArticleS?! There are more of them? They have to pay a LOT!

playtitleist 07-25-2005 06:50 PM

I concur to a degree. Your real gain is being published, because someday 8-tabling will not be profitable, but having a career in the media will be.

So, take one of two approaches:

1 - Give them the absolute basics, and bore them to death with topics like where to play, how to start, and ROIs of good players.

2 - Get overly detailed on them and make their head hurt, so they stop reading and/or get so lost that they are actually hindered by the knowledge.

Or the third obvious approach: write and write and write about it. Give out this website and this forum. Refer to HOH and HOH2. You'll make our nightmare come true by flooding the market with basic strategy players. Then you'll laugh all the way to the bank when you publish your book titled "Beating the 2+2 Basic SNG Strategy".

microbet 07-25-2005 06:52 PM

Some of the FAQ stuff might be good for one article - what is ROI? How much can I expect? BR? Difference between sites? Variance, etc.

trdi 07-25-2005 06:55 PM

Number one looks cool. Let's be honest - people are interested in this stuff, they're asking all the time even here. Sites with SNGs, different formats (just describe everything, don't forget turbo SNGs on PokerStars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), describe ROI and ITM calculations and what they mean. Show some examples, there's nothing better than to show some huge profit examples. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's definetly enough for the first article.

Isura 07-25-2005 06:59 PM

Here's some random ideas..

1) Basics
- preflop strategy early levels
- basic postflop advice early levels (eg don't get married to 2nd pair etc)
- adjusting preflop strategy as the blinds go up (no limping, avoid speculative hands) and explanation.
- Basic gap concept around the bubble

2) Intermediate
- importance of position
- small blind vs big blind pushing strategy
- how to put people on hand ranges when they push late (probably just some simple examples)
- basic hand ranges to push in common situations
- more bubble concepts, especially folding equity
- basic go for 1st ITM strategy

trdi 07-25-2005 06:59 PM

No way. He's not getting paid THAT much! It's all about his goal here. Is the goal to be the next Mike Caro?

Isura 07-25-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I concur to a degree. Your real gain is being published, because someday 8-tabling will not be profitable, but having a career in the media will be.

So, take one of two approaches:

1 - Give them the absolute basics, and bore them to death with topics like where to play, how to start, and ROIs of good players.

2 - Get overly detailed on them and make their head hurt, so they stop reading and/or get so lost that they are actually hindered by the knowledge.

Or the third obvious approach: write and write and write about it. Give out this website and this forum. Refer to HOH and HOH2. You'll make our nightmare come true by flooding the market with basic strategy players. Then you'll laugh all the way to the bank when you publish your book titled "Beating the 2+2 Basic SNG Strategy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not write a high quality piece and start building a reputation as a good poker author? The games won't get any tougher regardless. Limit holdem isn't that much tougher since HPFAP came out.

valenzuela 07-25-2005 07:24 PM

Ill suppose u will focus ure strategy artciles on low buy-ins NLHE SNG.
Early SNG: in sngs hands like KJo, yaddy,yadda.
Late SNGS: plz tell them to stop calling me with J6 because I push too much.( and I mean it, no joke..tell them its not worth it), tell them betting> limping > mini-raising> CALLING.
Put emphasis on the limping and mini-raising.
Heads-up: well, that would really improve their game.

Tell them with a story maybe...
Well Joe had this problem, ppl would always get lucky with him heads-up. " Its not fair I wait for a good hand like A9 and I only win like half of the time, I hate those fishes"..huge would be Joes surprise when he would find out HE WAS the fish..etc.

Uppercut 07-25-2005 07:29 PM

Focus on bubble play.

durron597 07-25-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the FAQ stuff might be good for one article - what is ROI? How much can I expect? BR? Difference between sites? Variance, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. These basics are great for an article and won't effect your real poker $/hr. This is what I would write about in your shoes, I can't stress how much I like the idea [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]