Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cold calling preflop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=403298)

12-22-2005 05:21 AM

Cold calling preflop

is it ever right? i've gotten the impression it isn't. but it could be used profitably for deception purposes?

say for example i'm at a somewhat passive preflop table and UTG raises, i just call with AA-QQ perhaps and everyone else calls. but if i were to raise they would mostly fold.

obviously in late position raising is best to trap bets but what about early on?

therockofgibraltar 12-22-2005 05:56 AM

Re: Cold calling preflop

I am no expert but I rarely cold-call. If there is no one else in the pot except the raiser I NEVER cold-call. It is 3-bet or fold. IF there are a cold-caller after the initial raiser, then I might cold-call with some suited hands that lack high card strength or offsuited hands like AQo for example. Don't know if this is good or not though.

ArturiusX 12-22-2005 07:35 AM

In loose games, I sometimes cold call suited connectors and small pairs, but generally you should either be dominating his hand range or be dominated by his hand range, so 3-bet or fold.

imported_leader 12-22-2005 02:52 PM

You're not missing much by never CC'ing, but there are some times I think it's good:
* You have something like KQ or AJo in the SB against an aggressive yet not crazy PFR. CC makes post flop a ton easier IMO over 3-betting, and you're hand is too good to fold.
* You have a big drawing hand like QJs, JTs, T9s or PP in LP after 2 other CC's. If you're in the SB, you can do it with just one CC if the raiser is loose like 25+% PFR or the CC is completely awful and will likely pay you many bets when you hit. Also BB can't be too aggressive.

MrWookie47 12-22-2005 03:30 PM

I disagree that KQo and AJo are good cold calls in the SB. I much prefer to 3bet and drive out the BB. These hands prefer HU action. I agree about the good drawing hands, though.

I have one question, actually. An average 5/10 UTG raises, and there are two cold callers to me on the button looking at AQs. Do you 3bet or cold call?

jba 12-22-2005 03:35 PM

Mr W:

I agree with you re: KQo/AJo in the SB. however there is many a BB that won't get the hell out of the way, that is usually when I call. default is to jack it up though.

re: AQs, I 3bet that all day long. KQs I'd lean towards calling but if the raiser is agg and the callers are fish I'm raising the price of poker.

imported_leader 12-22-2005 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that KQo and AJo are good cold calls in the SB. I much prefer to 3bet and drive out the BB. These hands prefer HU action. I agree about the good drawing hands, though.

I have one question, actually. An average 5/10 UTG raises, and there are two cold callers to me on the button looking at AQs. Do you 3bet or cold call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that CC AJ in the SB is dependent on BB.

I would 3-bet AQs or even KQs because the equity edge is just too great IMO for anything else

12-22-2005 03:40 PM

one thing i like about the first idea is that the pfr will bet into you postflop and you can pop him on the turn for a larger bet. and if you do so later he also stands more chance of staying in.

dealer_toe 12-22-2005 04:55 PM

I don't think there is much deception value in CC at any limit below 10/20. There are just a few spots I'm CC on the button, and they're pretty rare.

I'm CC if UTG raises, there are two CC's and I have a suited conector, suited broadway, or medium PP, I'm on the button, and the blinds are loose enough to come along.

oxymoron 12-22-2005 05:04 PM

I got interesting responses to a similiar question in MHUSH:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post4241350

It's worth a read.