Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   sufjan stevens (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=293969)

mike l. 07-16-2005 04:23 AM

sufjan stevens

just saw him and his band live in san diego and it was amazing. i didnt know if it would be any good live (i do love all the cds) but it was better live in a lot of ways. great genre crossing. like pre-rock elliot smith meets pet sounds/smile era beach boys. go check it out i think theyre just starting their tour they said.

The Glove 07-16-2005 04:55 AM

Re: sufjan stevens

Glad to hear it was a good show. I am madly in love with Michigan and Illinois. Planning on seeing the show when he comes to Phoenix.

Anyone have opinions on Seven Swans? It's the only album of his I haven't bought yet.

GP

mike l. 07-16-2005 05:11 AM

"Anyone have opinions on Seven Swans?"

it's his best, but im a christian so im partial to praise and worship music. illinois is close when it comes to which is best. the transfiguration is his best song and it's on seven swans.

Jack of Arcades 07-16-2005 05:23 AM

Seven Swans is better than Michigan, but I'm in love with Illinois.

pryor15 07-16-2005 11:59 PM

the last three songs of "seven swans" are maybe the best last 3 songs of any album I've ever heard. and the rest of it's pretty damn good as well.

Stellastarr 07-17-2005 05:02 AM

Im really liking the new cd.

Emmitt2222 07-17-2005 06:38 PM

Just found out about this guy from a friend a few weeks ago. Really good stuff, especially because of the Christian aspect he throws in there. I really like Illinios a lot and it is less bluegrassy than Seven Swans, but all of his stuff is solid. Not the sort of stuff that the majority of people in OOT would get into, but I like music that is more personal and less widespread anyway.

CallMeIshmael 07-17-2005 06:39 PM

I didnt like anything up until Illinois. But Im in love with it right now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

sfer 07-28-2005 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im really liking the new cd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to it now and I agree.

IndieMatty 08-02-2005 10:00 AM

HOLY BUMP!! It took me a while to get Illinoise, it's awe inspiring. I've listened to it 5 times since I opened it. It's keeping me sane.

From Pitchfork:

Two years after his breakthrough album Greeting From Michigan: The Great Lakes State, Sufjan Stevens offers the second installment of his absurdly ambitious "50 States" project, the 74-minute spectacular Illinois. In the wake of last year's quieter Seven Swans, this album finds the baroque, full arrangements of Michigan reaching new stunning, nuanced heights, with the help of a small army of backers (including a choir and string quartet). The result is Sufjan's most inspired album to date: Illinois is strange and lush, as excessive and challenging as its giant, gushing song titles, and as beautiful as the Chicago skyline and lakefront. [Added July 5]