Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hold'Em is not poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227084)

Demana 04-06-2005 12:30 PM

Hold\'Em is not poker

Hold'Em is just a game that is played with cards where once all the cards are out, the best 5 card hand wins.

Poker is gambling. It is risking something to win more than that something in return.

The next time you decide to play, think about what your goal is:

Is it to play a card game or is it to gamble?

JoshuaMayes 04-06-2005 12:33 PM

Re: Hold\'Em is not poker

Last time I played, my goals were to play a card game, gamble while doing it, and win.

einbert 04-06-2005 01:03 PM

It pisses me off so much when people call 72o "the worst hand in poker".

k_squared 04-06-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold'Em is just a game that is played with cards where once all the cards are out, the best 5 card hand wins.

Poker is gambling. It is risking something to win more than that something in return.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I follow you... why can't hold'em be both a card game and a gambling game? When you play hold'em you do have to risk money to earn money. You are not guaranteed to win even if you flop a great hand... in fact even if you flop quads you are not guaranteed to win. It is always still possible for someone to get a straight flush if they are holding the right card(s) and the right card(s) fall. Now it is also a game in which you can choose to gamble when you have the best of it, which is what makes it a game that can be beat...

When I play hold'em I certainly risk something to win more than that something in return... so by your own definition it is gambling.

What is the distinction you are trying to make here? Right now you claim seems confused at best.

-k_squared

tdarko 04-06-2005 03:56 PM

agreed, his post doesnt make sense to me. anytime you are risking money on an unsure outcome it is gambling.

Grisgra 04-06-2005 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the most retarded post of the day. Or should I say, RPOTD?

Maddog121 04-06-2005 04:42 PM

From Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: 2po·ker
Pronunciation: 'pO-k&r
Function: noun
Etymology: probably modification of French poque, a card game similar to poker
: any of several card games in which a player bets that the value of his or her hand is greater than that of the hands held by others, in which each subsequent player must either equal or raise the bet or drop out, and in which the player holding the highest hand at the end of the betting wins the pot
Thus, Hold 'em is poker.

Demana 04-06-2005 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: 2po·ker
Pronunciation: 'pO-k&r
Function: noun
Etymology: probably modification of French poque, a card game similar to poker
: any of several card games in which a player bets that the value of his or her hand is greater than that of the hands held by others, in which each subsequent player must either equal or raise the bet or drop out, and in which the player holding the highest hand at the end of the betting wins the pot
Thus, Hold 'em is poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does there have to be a pot in hold'em?

tdarko 04-06-2005 05:36 PM

um yes.

your yoda-like comments are failing miserably.

bernie 04-06-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does there have to be a pot in hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does there have to be a pot in other forms of poker?

You can also 'gamble' on other cardgames that are not 'considered' poker.

b