Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=151847)

ThaSaltCracka 11-21-2004 07:43 PM

Re: Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long

[ QUOTE ]
As if it really matters, the Palace of Auburn Hills is located in a very wealthy suburb that is about 1/2 hour away from Detroit.

[/ QUOTE ] You are right, this doesn't matter.

Richard Tanner 11-21-2004 07:51 PM

Well I guess we all learned a valuable lesson. After the inevitable nothing that will come about as punishment for the fans (remember those guys that charged that third base coach), we as fans are once again free to assult anyone we like and even to enter the field of play (although you might get punched, but hey whats a bruise to getting your rivals star player out for the season). Just a reminder if you do happen to run out on the court, make sure you run back into the stands after suckerpunching the player of your choice, becuase he can't follow no matter what.

Friday was sad, today is a truely dark day, I can only hope that riots break out at more games forcing Stern to come off his high horse and realize that those players in his charge are people too. Oh well at least Artest didn't get the death penelty (I'm only half joking).

Cody

hoyaboy1 11-21-2004 07:51 PM

Wallace should be 10? Have you ever watched or followed the NBA before? Similar actions in the past got a 1-3 game suspension - his was this long only because of the aftermath.

Now we just wait to see what kind of charges are brought against Jackson, O'Neal and Artest.

hoyaboy1 11-21-2004 07:53 PM

The guys who ran onto the court will surely lose their season tickets, be banned from the arena, and be subject to fines and/or jailtime.

Edge34 11-21-2004 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wallace should be 10? Have you ever watched or followed the NBA before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have YOU ever watched or followed the NBA before? The foul that got his panties all in a twist wasn't even that hard, and aren't even hard enough to be CALLED when they're done to Shaq multiple times nightly. If Wallace doesn't wig out over a little foul, heck, if he just quits after the shove, MAYBE he and Artest sit for a game and are back with their teams. Part of me thinks it was just Big Ben's pride wouldn't let a foul go at the end of such a whipping at home.

-Edge

MarkL444 11-21-2004 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No credit to Detroit, but the reality is that his behavior was much more dangerous in Detroit than in Davenport Iowa or boise.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know that this didnt happen in detroit, right?

Richard Tanner 11-21-2004 07:59 PM

Right you just keep thinking that, I doubt anything will happen to them, who knows if they were even season ticket holders and not people from the nosebleeds, or better yet people who were using those tickets for one game from the acutal owner of the seats.
Bottom line is they pay nothing (or as close to nothing as you can get without actually being nothing) and they get rewarded, assuming they are Pistons fans, incredibly.

Like I said, learn from this, if you want to cripple a team in any sport, especially the NBA, just charge the court, suckerpunch a good player, and run like hell. Once he follows, which he will if not his teammates, BAM ready bake one year suspension.

Cody

hoyaboy1 11-21-2004 08:01 PM

Yes. Because a player running after someone who came onto the court and suckerpunched him is equivalent to a guy charging into the stands because a cup of beer got thrown at him. Nice analogy.

RE: Wallace - find me one guy in history who has been suspended 6 games for pushing someone. I don't mind his suspension but it was much more the result of the aftermath than his actual actions.

nothumb 11-21-2004 08:06 PM

You keep trying to act like this wasn't a tremendous cheap shot given the situation and the players involved. It was. Get over it. Wallace is one of the toughest players in the league. If you commit a bullsh't foul like that you can expect to get roughly what Artest got, and Wallace should expect a 1-3 game suspension for it. If Artest had sat his ass down in front of the scorer's table or the bench and stopped trying to show off, nothing would have happened.

NT

Richard Tanner 11-21-2004 08:07 PM

Slick,
If I run up to you and throw a cup of water and ice in your face and you punch me (or otherwise incapacitate me), we both get arrested, and after questioning I go to jail and you go free.
Also, while O'Neal was a little out of line with the running hammer punch, the clips are dangerously misleading, what they don't show is that right before that clip starts that fan is seen in a fight with a Pacers offical and a player (Artest I belive). Yeah O'Neal didn't need to take a running punch at him, but he was defending his team and friends (which I believe the law allows for in the case that a mob is baring down on you).
That said, I was all for the suspensions listed at the start of this thread as a comprromise between the crazy "burn him at the stake" posts and the equally crazy "let them all go free" posts (of which I am in favor).
The actual suspensions just reenforce that there is no line for the fans to cross, they are free to do whatever they please, and if history is any indication, their punishments will be fairly light.

Cody