Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dealing with eye strain (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=253206)

hhughes 05-16-2005 09:15 AM

Dealing with eye strain

I just recently acquired a 19" CRT monitor that lets me multitable without over lap!!!!

That's great, except now with the tables being so small I am suffering from some eye strain. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyone have some suggestions or advice as to what a person can do to alleviate this problem? I noticed in a recent thread about a program called eyestrain???

Any help appreciated.

FlopMe 05-16-2005 09:41 AM

Re: Dealing with eye strain

Here's one solution:

thread

Dr_Freeze 05-16-2005 11:40 AM

Not a perfect solution, but...

I replaced my CRT with a 20" LCD and my eyestrain went away completely.

-Freeze

greg nice 05-16-2005 12:14 PM

buy a better monitor

you are probably running 1600x1200 at 60hz refresh rate. 60hz is terrible on the eyes.

grimel 05-16-2005 12:26 PM

cut down on the brightness and up on the contrast. Check to see you have the highest refresh freq the monitor/video card can support (at least 75). Make sure there is NO direct light hitting the screen (reflected soft light only).

Other than buying a nice new wondermonitor that's about it.

xLukex 05-16-2005 12:52 PM

Sit far away and wear really big glasses.

That's what I do.

supbro?

hhughes 05-16-2005 01:00 PM

the refresh rate is 75...its a 2 year old NEC monitor, and the price was right....FREE!

So this is what Im gonna go with until the LCD's come down in price some more...I will try those other suggestions concerning the brightness/contrast & the lighting.

I saw in a thread on 2+2 about a program somewhere on the 'Net that helps in reducing the eye strain...anyone ever heard of it?

I appreciate all the replies so far.

grimel 05-17-2005 09:24 PM

Your monitor if fine w/ 75. The lighting and contrast came from an ergonomics workshop at my former job.

Direct lighting I knew about from headaches I was having (ever have a 3 week headache?). My eye Dr gave me a script for very lightly tinted polarized glasses for computer work and I cut most of the lighting in the office. The headaches went away. Now, at home I run ONE 100w or 2 60w bulbs in my office. The overhead light is off to one side and my monitor is angled down and away. Helps much with the eye strain.

Ian M. 05-17-2005 11:36 PM

I don't have an LCD but I have heard that any LCD is MUCH easier on your eyes than a CRT. I believe the constant "strobing" of a CRT bothers our eyes, even if you can't really notice it.

MicroBob 05-17-2005 11:47 PM

ambient light from all different directions around the monitor.

Also - get one of those tinted screen-filter thingees that you just place in front of the screen. 3M makes them as do a couple other companies I think. Available at CompUSA and probably at OfficeMax.

I have REALLY sensitive eyes to the extent that going to a movie really affects me.

The ambient light thing is a big deal for me. Light from behind and to each side of the monitor as well as behind me make a difference.
Experiment with different types of light from different directions, etc etc.
That's what I need to do much of the time anyway.