Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Junior Welterweights (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=188834)

Glenn 02-02-2005 07:54 PM

Junior Welterweights

Best weight class in boxing right now. Who do we think is going to emerge as the alpha male? You have the 4 undefeateds in Mayweather, Cotto, Harris, and Hatton, then the #1 Kostya Tszyu, and the fan favorite Gatti. In an odd turn of events for modern pro boxing, it looks like they are actually looking to fight one another. Tszyu and Hatton are fighting 6/6 and Gatti/Mayweather should happen later that month (if Pretty Boy Wife Beater doesn't end up in jail). I think Tszyu will have his way with Hatton, although being from the states I haven't really had a chance to see Hatton. Then again, Hatton hasn't had a chance to see much real competition. Mayweather/Gatti should be exciting. Of course I want Gatti to win but at first glance it seems unlikely. McGirt is a genius though, and Gatti has been looking sharp. Regardless, it will be an action fight, and I will be there screaming for Arturo like any good New Jersey native. Thoughts?

Ulysses 02-02-2005 08:13 PM

Re: Junior Welterweights

[ QUOTE ]
Mayweather

[/ QUOTE ]

On a not really related point, what ever happened to Prince Naseem Hamed after he lost to Barrera? Did he ever fight again? Is he retired?

Glenn 02-02-2005 08:17 PM

He is supposedly about to make a comeback after a few years off, I believe. I heard he has an upcoming fight against a TBA opponent somewhere in the Middle East.

BottlesOf 02-02-2005 08:20 PM

Mayweather is [censored] awesome.

Men the Master 02-02-2005 08:25 PM

Wrong!

The best division are the junior lightweights/super featherweights. Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales. All four are in the Ring Magazine top ten pound-for-pound list.

Boris 02-02-2005 08:29 PM

Re: Wrong!

Think you could take Pacquiao in a street fight? On the one hand he only weighs like 97 pounds. On the other hand he sure is a tough little bastard.

IndieMatty 02-02-2005 09:24 PM

He lost one comeback fight. Don't know whats up with him now.

There really should be more boxing talk on the board. I think it's entering a new era.

Fratony 02-02-2005 09:31 PM

I would have to say that the most entertaining fighter in the world right now would be Mayweather. He makes 99.99999% of humans look ridiculous. In fact, i may not be giving him enough credit there. Also, heavyweight fighers Vitali and Wladamir klitchko are amazing and don't get nearly enough recognition. Both of them have their doctorates as well...fighters who still have brains, interesting.

Dale 02-02-2005 09:42 PM

I'd look for Tszyu to win an eventual showdown with Mayweather in a not-close fight.

Glenn 02-02-2005 10:05 PM

I agree that Tszyu > Mayweather (at least at 140). IF Mayweather has an easy time with Gatti, Mayweather/Tszyu could be a modern day Hagler/Leonard.