Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Negreanu should read the STTF (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390287)

Irieguy 12-02-2005 11:46 PM

Negreanu should read the STTF

Quoted from his article on the Borgata:

[ QUOTE ]
...So, instead of giving up the lead, I decided to make a half-value/half-defensive bet of $3,600; value in hope of getting paid off by a worse pair than mine, and defensive in that I might be forced to call a much larger bet if I checked.

A bet like this is a pretty common tool, but it isn’t talked about too much in the literature. Generally, a bet on the river has a clear purpose: It’s either a bluff or a value bet. However, a bet like this is one in which you are doing more than just value betting; you also are protecting yourself, or saving yourself money in many cases in which you may have been forced to check and call a large river bet.

D. Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a blocking bet, no0b, and 7,000 18-year old yahoos on this forum know about it.

Seriously, though, the article describes the play of a hand that is quite interesting. It's posted on pokerpages.com.

Irieguy

splashpot 12-02-2005 11:48 PM

Re: Negreanu should read the STTF

The blocking bet is pretty advanced stuff for most people.

Scuba Chuck 12-03-2005 01:18 AM

What! There's other things to read besides 2+2? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

12-03-2005 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...So, instead of giving up the lead, I decided to make a half-value/half-defensive bet of $3,600; value in hope of getting paid off by a worse pair than mine, and defensive in that I might be forced to call a much larger bet if I checked.

A bet like this is a pretty common tool, but it isn’t talked about too much in the literature. Generally, a bet on the river has a clear purpose: It’s either a bluff or a value bet. However, a bet like this is one in which you are doing more than just value betting; you also are protecting yourself, or saving yourself money in many cases in which you may have been forced to check and call a large river bet.

D. Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a blocking bet, no0b, and 7,000 18-year old yahoos on this forum know about it.

Seriously, though, the article describes the play of a hand that is quite interesting. It's posted on pokerpages.com.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter if Daniel N doesn't use the same terminology as 7000 18-year old yahoos on this forum as long as he knows what he's talking about?

Irieguy 12-03-2005 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

D. Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter if Daniel N doesn't use the same terminology as 7000 18-year old yahoos on this forum as long as he knows what he's talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

When somebody uses the phrase "seriously, though," it implies that the prior sentiment was expressed in jest.

A phrase like this is a pretty common tool, but it isn't talked about much in the literature.

I shouldn't have used such an abstruse technique to satirize what I find to be an interesting contrast: published/publicized poker literature v. publicly accessible poker ramblings available on forums like this one.

Irieguy

SuitedSixes 12-03-2005 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel? Is that you?

12-03-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

D. Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When somebody uses the phrase "seriously, though," it implies that the prior sentiment was expressed in jest.

A phrase like this is a pretty common tool, but it isn't talked about much in the literature.

I shouldn't have used such an abstruse technique to satirize what I find to be an interesting contrast: published/publicized poker literature v. publicly accessible poker ramblings available on forums like this one.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Is there a serious point you're trying to make of value that we all can learn from or did you just feel like poking fun?

12-03-2005 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The blocking bet is pretty advanced stuff for most people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but Daniel N doesn't have to use 'blocking bet' in his vocabulary and he's still advanced.

Irieguy 12-03-2005 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok. Is there a serious point you're trying to make of value that we all can learn from or did you just feel like poking fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly poking a little fun, but also explaining why I posted the dumb comment to begin with.

Irieguy

12-03-2005 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly poking a little fun, but also explaining why I posted the dumb comment to begin with.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

You get an extra forty sack of Chocolate Thai for honesty. I'll be waiting on your $22 and $33 HHs after you put the blunt out. Oh, and be quick about it.