Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   All I'm Offering Is The Truth (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=269074)

SpearsBritney 06-09-2005 12:55 AM

All I\'m Offering Is The Truth

Throughout history, war planners have used various forms of deception to trick their enemies. Because public support is so crucial to the process of initiating and waging war, the home population is also subject to deceitful stratagems. The creation of false excuses to justify going to war is a major first step in constructing public support for such deadly ventures. Perhaps the most common pretext for war is an apparently unprovoked enemy attack. Such attacks, however, are often fabricated, incited or deliberately allowed to occur. They are then exploited to arouse widespread public sympathy for the victims, demonize the attackers and build mass support for military “retaliation.”

Like schoolyard bullies who shout ‘He hit me first!’, war planners know that it is irrelevant whether the opponent really did ‘throw the first punch.’ As long as it can be made to appear that the attack was unprovoked, the bully receives license to ‘respond’ with force. Bullies and war planners are experts at taunting, teasing and threatening their opponents. If the enemy cannot be goaded into ‘firing the first shot,’ it is easy enough to lie about what happened. Sometimes, that is sufficient to rationalize a schoolyard beating or a genocidal war.

Such trickery has probably been employed by every military power throughout history. During the Roman empire, the causes of war -- cassus belli -- were often invented to conceal the real reasons for war. Over the millennia, although weapons and battle strategies have changed greatly, the deceitful strategem of using pretext incidents to ignite war has remained remarkably consistent.

Pretext incidents, in themselves, are not sufficient to spark wars. Rumors and allegations about the tragic events must first spread throughout the target population. Constant repetition of the official version of what happened, spawns dramatic narratives that are lodged into public consciousness. The stories become accepted without question and legends are fostered. The corporate media is central to the success of such ‘psychological operations.’ Politicians rally people around the flag, lending their special oratory skills to the call for a military “response.” Demands for “retaliation” then ring out across the land, war hysteria mounts and, finally, a war is born.

Every time the US has gone to war, pretext incidents have been used. Upon later examination, the conventional perception of these events is always challenged and eventually exposed as untrue. Historians, investigative journalists and many others, have cited eyewitness accounts, declassified documents and statements made by the perpetrators themselves to demonstrate that the provocative incidents were used as stratagems to stage-manage the march to war.

gunt 06-09-2005 01:07 AM

Re: All I\'m Offering Is The Truth

you are absolutely correct..
every war has a PR dept.
the war in iraq would not have existed if we did not have a president who had middle eastern interests.
Propaganda is funny... not as funny as the people who eat it up.... i.e. the people who think irag had something to do with 9/11...terrorists flocked to irag after we attacked to defend islam interests... al zaquari is not an iraqi.
americans justify our occupation because we are " liberating the iraqi people".... personally, i don't think one american life is worth iraqi independence.

Edge34 06-09-2005 01:09 AM

You do know this is one reason they made that little "politics" forum, less than half an inch above Other Other Topics, right?

Thought so.

SpearsBritney 06-09-2005 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are absolutely correct..
every war has a PR dept.
the war in iraq would not have existed if we did not have a president who had middle eastern interests.
Propaganda is funny... not as funny as the people who eat it up.... i.e. the people who think irag had something to do with 9/11...terrorists flocked to irag after we attacked to defend islam interests... al zaquari is not an iraqi.
americans justify our occupation because we are " liberating the iraqi people".... personally, i don't think one american life is worth iraqi independence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling that if you knew what I was implying, you would not be so quick to agree with me.

gunt 06-09-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do know this is one reason they made that little "politics" forum, less than half an inch above Other Other Topics, right?

Thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]
touche

SpearsBritney 06-09-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That forum sucks

Edge34 06-09-2005 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]
touche

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Eihli 06-09-2005 01:12 AM

Because the posts like this are filtered there. Let's try to keep it that way.

Edge34 06-09-2005 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That forum sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

So does this thread.

Seriously, just because you don't like it (and neither do i), this stuff really belongs over there. Its been there for long enough. Use it.

SpearsBritney 06-09-2005 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That forum sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

So does this thread.

Seriously, just because you don't like it (and neither do i), this stuff really belongs over there. Its been there for long enough. Use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping to get flamed for wearing a tinfoil hat, not where I chose to post. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]