Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   2-bets back to me - do I fold, call or cap this? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=252887)

Pov 05-15-2005 06:19 PM

2-bets back to me - do I fold, call or cap this?

Table has been pretty weak so far. Both our villains seem like decent players, though - kind of semi-TAG.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero . . . ?

So normally I ditch this almost certainly dominated hand out of position, but it looks like we're going to be 7-handed! I have immediate odds of 20:2 Of course there is a decent possibility it's going to get capped by the original raiser as well, but if he does I'm certain no one is folding so I'd be getting something like 9:1 even if I knew he'd be capping.

So I can see arguments for folding, calling or capping it myself. What sayeth the forum?

2+2 wannabe 05-15-2005 06:24 PM

Re: 2-bets back to me - do I fold, call or cap this?

i'd fold - but what do i know

A7s probably only wins with a flush (2 pair isn't even great) - trip 7s maybe

implied odds might make this a call, but it's got a chance of being capped - plus your flush might lose. personally i don't like getting mixed up in this kind of hand, but there's rationale for calling or folding. capping is stupid.

p.s. this same hand happened to me about 5 minutes ago - except villain capped a 3-bet (?!?) with A5s and caught a flop of K55 against my aces. he took down a 35BB pot.

MrWookie47 05-15-2005 06:24 PM

We just recently had this debate. Anyone have the link? Anyway, it looked mathematically sound to call, but it was close. Not many would blame you for folding, but calling is probably slightly +EV if you play well postflop.

Pov 05-15-2005 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We just recently had this debate. Anyone have the link? Anyway, it looked mathematically sound to call, but it was close. Not many would blame you for folding, but calling is probably slightly +EV if you play well postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg. I hate it when that happens. I'll do some more searching but if anyone has the link handy I would appreciate it. Comments are still highly welcome please.

Buckmulligan 05-15-2005 06:30 PM

I definitely wouldn't cap; I certainly won't discourage a call though, assuming the table is donk.

gvibes 05-15-2005 06:57 PM

Here's the thread.

3 part quiz

EDIT: You're getting even better odds than in the previous post.

EDIT2: And you're relative position is better in this hand

EDITED CONCLUSION: Call.

@bsolute_luck 05-16-2005 09:03 AM

based on the number of people already calling, a call seems fine to me.

CourtJester 05-16-2005 10:51 AM

Call, your implied odds are really good, the only thing is, if u catch even a piece of this flop your almost forced to see the river, so it might be spewing a bit but i still say call, if u do catch your flush youll be able to make tons on this hand.

wireMan 05-16-2005 11:02 AM

I would call, just have to see the flop with a pot that big.

Fishlips_Jones 05-16-2005 11:59 AM

Call, but realize if an ace flops and that's the only piece you have then you gotta release it (and similar such flops).

Fishlips

KaiShin 05-16-2005 12:00 PM

Easy call, but don't get attached to any A's that flop unless you pair your kicker.

Pov 05-16-2005 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. It doesn't really matter to the real question, but for those curious I did in fact make the call planning to make at least two pair or get out. I did not get the flop I wanted:

4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So I planned to check-fold, but then something interesting happened. The original raiser bet but the 3-better folded (a bad fold based upon the odds with KK or QQ I guess) and a couple of others called. It came back to me getting something like 26:1. I highly doubted the raiser had AA since he did not cap pre-flop and I put the other opponents on possible heart draws or pocket pairs which still left me with 2 pretty solid outs in the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so I went ahead, cursed myself for calling pre-flop and getting sucked in like a donkey and called. Lo and behold I spiked that 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn and managed to bet-3bet the turn 4-handed and got 2 callers on the river after the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hit giving me a ginormous pot.

Our villain had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but the real kicker here is that other caller on the river held the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . . . if he had raised the flop I would have been long gone - he still would have lost to the AK though so I'm not sure if he should have raised or not "knowing" he has to hit his Q to win.

Anyway, I was pretty sure my post-flop play was fine given the circumstances, but I really wanted to know if I had any business being there in the first place. It sounds like I was in a very marginal situation but probably made the right play. Thanks again to all contributors as always.