Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Overpair trouble - #1 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331240)

LuvDemNutz 09-06-2005 11:52 PM

Overpair trouble - #1

I'm in the midst of a bad downswing which is causing me to play very poorly. It seems the more I lose the worse I play. I see-saw between being too passive and too aggressive.

Been having trouble playing overpairs lately - both in position and OOP.
It's gotten to the point where I get dealt AA and get nervous that I'm about to lose another big pot.
It seems like everytime I play an overpair too passively I let someone catch up and outdraw me and everytime I play then too aggressively I get stacked by a set.

I'm going to post a few hands to see what I should be doing differently.

Here's one example -

I get AhAs in the CO and open for $50.

BB who I know to be somewhat loose calls.

Flop Jh 3s 2d

He leads for $55.

I call?

Turn 3d -

He leads for $100

I call?

River 7d -

he leads for $310....

I suck.

Anyone raise the flop and check behind on the turn?

Anyone raise the turn?

Is the river an auto-call / auto fold?

jzpiano14 09-07-2005 12:50 AM

Re: Overpair trouble - #1

Def raise the flop, use this for information. It is cheaper than what you did, and you have a better idea of where you stand. I would fold here to a 3 bet

LuvDemNutz 09-07-2005 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Def raise the flop, use this for information. It is cheaper than what you did, and you have a better idea of where you stand. I would fold here to a 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are you raising and what is your plan on the turn if you are called?

jzpiano14 09-07-2005 01:00 AM

i'm raising to 250 which is almost a pot sized raise, if he calls this, I'm probably checking the turn, c/c a resonable size river bet and would probably fold to the push, just my .02

BobboFitos 09-07-2005 01:05 AM

i wouldnt beatyourself up about this hand, against aggro opponents i play it the same. this is full ring, eh?

because it's CO/blind "steal" scenario i may raise the flop to give future flop bluff raises some credit, but on a hand to hand basis raising the flop leads to alot of trouble. (Generally)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone raise the flop and check behind on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats one way to play it

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

not with AA here, unless he's bad enough to then call the raise w/ Jx... (and not put unneeded pressure on you on the river..)
[ QUOTE ]

Is the river an auto-call / auto fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, autocall.

foldem 09-07-2005 02:34 AM

Raising the turn and checking behind on a non ace river is a solid line as you charge him to draw to the flush. If he pushes the turn or leads into you for a healthy bet on the river you have to lay it down IMO.

Lucky 09-07-2005 03:42 AM

I raise it to 175-200 on flop. A bad player will re raise and you can release it. A good player will go for check raise on turn, so you check behind. Call moderate sized river bet.

The problem with how you played it is that a donk might read that for how "someone" plays AK and really jam it on you with his top pair. Then maybe you fold best hand

LuvDemNutz 09-07-2005 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with how you played it is that a donk might read that for how "someone" plays AK and really jam it on you with his top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is bad because...

n1bd 09-07-2005 09:54 AM

Because, in Lucky's lines, you are folding to a flop reraise or huge river bet. So if he overplays a pair of jacks, you sometimes fold the best hand.

LuvDemNutz 09-07-2005 02:20 PM

RESULTS

Villain had AdJd for runner runner flush.

I think raising the flop is probably the best play - but if Villain had called I don't think he was going anywhere after picking up the flush draw on the turn.