Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Need suggestions for hobby for Mom (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406580)

swolfe 12-28-2005 03:33 PM

Need suggestions for hobby for Mom

My mom is disabled and doesn't work or anything. She doesn't really have any friends and is bored out of her mind. Can you OOTiots suggest some hobbies for her? Preferably ones that won't cost me a lot of money (I support her on top of her SS disability).

She reads some, but a person can only spend so much time reading or watching movies. She can't really do anything physical. She doesn't conform to time shcedules or meet commitments well, so volunteering or part-time jobs won't really work.

She likes playing bingo, but that [censored] gets expensive.

David04 12-28-2005 03:36 PM

Re: Need suggestions for hobby for Mom

You could try teaching her some card games(euchre or something), and get her playing on Yahoo.

highlife 12-28-2005 03:37 PM

does she at least have good use of her hands?

SL__72 12-28-2005 03:38 PM

What kind of disability? Could she learn to play an instrument? Knit? Cook? Play Poker?

Patrick del Poker Grande 12-28-2005 03:38 PM

Crossword and Sudoku puzzles

jba 12-28-2005 03:39 PM

scrapbooking? moms love that stuff, but it's pretty expensive too.

also look into a studly european gigolo

Shajen 12-28-2005 03:40 PM

there's the whole internet out there...I'd start her off with some support groups for people with disabilities, it'll give her community and also some ideas for people who have similiar issues as she does.

The internet is the answer.

12-28-2005 03:40 PM

Prostitution.

Honestly, I tried to make a serious post three times, and all three times I could not make it thru without at some point suggesting your mom become a hooker, so instead I just said it as the first line to get it over with. Now that I got it out of my system...

Yahoo/MSN Games? I assume she can use a computer. My dad, who does not move around a lot, spends a ludicrous amount of time playing Spades on MSN I beleive, and they seem to have a pretty dedicated community, so its a way for her to make friends as well, albeit through the internet.

Crafting works, too. Hobbies like knitting and such are great time consumers, and not very expensive. Some of the more expensive crafting hobbies can also turn into money makers as well, which she may enjoy as it makes her feel more like she is contributing...

Just some ideas.

Ray

12-28-2005 03:43 PM

Slot Machines

correia 12-28-2005 03:51 PM

I agree with all the yahoo games posts. She could also try learning how to play a musical instrument (piano maybe?)