Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Party 30+3 TT Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=139992)

Piiop 10-24-2004 11:33 PM

Party 30+3 TT Hand

Thanks in advance for advice. I'm trying to improve my MTT game since I normally play limit ring games.

Started with 1500 players down to 550, still a long way away from money. I just got moved to this table so I have no reads.

Blinds 75/150

I'm in the SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and ~3800 (above average) after posting the blind.

Folded to MP1 who raises to 400 leaving him 2300 - folded to me.

What's your plan?

Vee Quiva 10-24-2004 11:49 PM

Re: Party 30+3 TT Hand

All in is probably not a bad move. Raising him to 1000 or 1500 might get him to fold. You probably do not want to see a flop with this hand and only one other player.

If you had two or three callers after the raise it might pay to call and try to flop a set.

deuces09 10-24-2004 11:56 PM

Don't see making a call here out of position with TT

No reads, I either fold or push. Hmmmmm.

JaBlue 10-25-2004 12:15 AM

You can't call because your implied odds don't make up for the times you hit a set since his stack is < 4000. Not to mention yours. If you both had like 5000, I'd call and play set value/undercards.

That said, you have to either fold or push. You REALLY need to know who your opponent is for this. Once you have some knowledge of him, then its a judgement call.

-Jared

ThingDo 10-25-2004 01:32 AM

Is 2300 not enough at this point to call and play for set value or unders? I don't think saying calling isn't an option is correct.

CITIUS 10-25-2004 01:51 AM

I don't think its worth tangling with an unknown opponent at this stage of the tournament (given your stack is already above average).
Although I may be inclined to push, I don't believe its a constructive move without a sufficient read on the player.
It's worthwhile playing this conservatively and folding.
You could easily run into a dominant hand, or find an opponent's overcard on the board.

Piiop 10-25-2004 02:52 AM

Results

Thanks for the replies.

I folded.

- I had no read on my opponent, therefore I did not know if the small raise (not even 3xBB) meant he had a mediocre hand and would fold to a raise, or he had a monster and wanted to get paid off.

- If I just called, postflop play would be very difficult.

- I had plenty of chips and will certainly run into better situations further in the tournament. I also had very little invested in the hand.

- I thought it was a clear push or fold situation. If he's folding to a raise, he will fold for 1000 or all-in. If he's going all-in with the hand, he'll call my all-in or just reraise me all-in. If he reraises me all-in, I can't fold. So, there's no point in raising less than all-in.

- Since we were still so far from the money, I thought that maintaining my current above average stack was worth a lot more than what I could gain by risking dropping to 10 BB's.