Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What is your push range here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405946)

Koss 12-27-2005 03:29 PM

What is your push range here?

NL Tournament, and you have 2400 left, with blinds at 400-800. 8 handed table, folded to you on the button. The BB is the chipleader with close to 50k, and will probably call with most decent holdings. What range do you move in with.

ahnuld 12-27-2005 03:30 PM

Re: What is your push range here?

T8 offsuit

illegit 12-27-2005 03:32 PM

Any 2.

12-27-2005 03:55 PM

Any 2 card here. I actually want him to call me with a decent holding as long as it's not a pocket pair higher than my cards. I glady take a 40/60 or 35/65 situation here

12-27-2005 03:58 PM

Any two. The BB's big stack (and table image based on your description) will keep the SB from calling with anything less than a premium hand. The BB's big stack also makes it more likely you will get called by hands that you beat. Add in fold equity when the BB has garbage, this is an easy move in with any two.

12-27-2005 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:03 PM

Alot higher than any 2.

If I'm on the button, I've got 7 hands to see something better than 10-8o

12-27-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your joking. This is push any two, and not close. You have just 3XBB, and on the Button need to get by only two people to increase your stack by 50%, and if you get called, should not be in awful shape. The longer you wait the more people you will have to get through.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:10 PM

How can it be any two? Maybe you can say top50%. But your getting called by the BB, so you at least want a hand better than the average hand..

Hendricks433 12-27-2005 04:14 PM

any2, so your pushing 3,2 off suit here? I dont think its quite any 2. You got hands to see before you hit your BB and I thnk Id rather just play my BB when it gets to me which has a chance of being folded to me.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your joking. This is push any two, and not close. You have just 3XBB, and on the Button need to get by only two people to increase your stack by 50%, and if you get called, should not be in awful shape. The longer you wait the more people you will have to get through.

[/ QUOTE ]

You act as if I'm going to steal the blinds here. It's not going to happen. I don't care how many players I'm going through. I want either

A: A hand that plays well multi-way. or
B: A good coin flip hand or

12-27-2005 04:18 PM

I much rather play 32o and get 1 caller, than to play lets say a small/medium pair or one broadway card and get 2 callers. There is no way I want to miss this opportunity and just wait hoping for a better hand to come.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I much rather play 32o and get 1 caller, than to play lets say a small/medium pair or one broadway card and get 2 callers. There is no way I want to miss this opportunity and just wait hoping for a better hand to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes no sense.

If you push 3-2os into a RANDOM hand you have 32% equity.

If you push 44 into Any Broadway and Any Suited 32% equity to triple up.

If you push 44 into Any Broadway and Any Broadway you have 34% equity to triple up.

illegit 12-27-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You act as if I'm going to steal the blinds here. It's not going to happen. I don't care how many players I'm going through. I want either

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of what we were assuming the BB was big stack and would therefore call with any decent holding. Sure with his stack size he could probably call with ANY holding but he probably won't. Let's say he calls up to the top 50% of ands and the SB calls w/ top 20%. Even with this limited amount of FE there's still no way you can pass this edge up. Since the times you get 2 folds you increase your stack by FIFTY freaking percent.

Sure you can wait for a better holding in the next 9 hands or so but even if you pick up something reasonable you're going to have even less FE with the monster stack still behind you plus a bunch of other players added to the mix.

If you're certain you have no FE whatsoever here then yeah, might as well wait. But if you have even a little you should push.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Part of what we were assuming the BB was big stack and would therefore call with any decent holding. Sure with his stack size he could probably call with ANY holding but he probably won't. Let's say he calls up to the top 50% of ands and the SB calls w/ top 20%. Even with this limited amount of FE there's still no way you can pass this edge up. Since the times you get 2 folds you increase your stack by FIFTY freaking percent.

Sure you can wait for a better holding in the next 9 hands or so but even if you pick up something reasonable you're going to have even less FE with the monster stack still behind you plus a bunch of other players added to the mix.

If you're certain you have no FE whatsoever here then yeah, might as well wait. But if you have even a little you should push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the BB folds here, he is an absolutely atrocious poker player.

12-27-2005 05:08 PM

You do realize that Any pair will call you too and thinking that any suited will call when there is one more caller is thinking way too loose. 44 into 2 people... nah, but hey with this stack sure. I still push with 32o from the button here any day.

illegit 12-27-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the BB folds here, he is an absolutely atrocious poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but I see big stacks folding in similar spots often. They're usually not THIS big, but still. Again, the premise was a hypothetical and our read on the BB is that he will call with any decent holding. If that's the case then is this not a push withy any 2?

tdizzle 12-27-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain I have no fold equity here. The bb is getting 2.25:1 on a call which translates to the need to have 30% equity. So he would be justified in calling with any 2 cards. I would push all in here with all but my weakest holdings. Pushing all in here with 23o or 24o is just reckless imo.

gobboboy 12-27-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.

Do you see why?

For many of the reasons stated above, and I'm surprised you guys don't agree with this. If there was an ante I would be hard pressed not to push soon, but you have a LOT of hands to pick a good one to go in with. Granted, your range is still suited connectors, any two broadway, any ace, any pair, but I am NOT pushing 93o here.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alot higher than any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.

Do you see why?

For many of the reasons stated above, and I'm surprised you guys don't agree with this. If there was an ante I would be hard pressed not to push soon, but you have a LOT of hands to pick a good one to go in with. Granted, your range is still suited connectors, any two broadway, any ace, any pair, but I am NOT pushing 93o here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the ante statement, and thought I typed that into my original response..guess I deleted it.

illegit 12-27-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am certain I have no fold equity here. The bb is getting 2.25:1 on a call which translates to the need to have 30% equity. So he would be justified in calling with any 2 cards. I would push all in here with all but my weakest holdings. Pushing all in here with 23o or 24o is just reckless imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that the BB knows what you know and will call. This assumption was not the basis on which we were operating, in fact the question states we're NOT operating under that premise because it says he'll call with DECENT holdings, meaning he's not calling with any two based on our read.

Just cause YOU'D call with any 2, just because it makes sense to call with any two doesn't mean that our opponent will.

Exitonly 12-27-2005 06:38 PM

Wait two hands and i might push any two, but w/ a 50k stack in the blinds, i'll stick to any ace, any pair, lot of connecctors, hm, and any two broadway.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that the BB knows what you know and will call. This assumption was not the basis on which we were operating, in fact the question states we're NOT operating under that premise because it says he'll call with DECENT holdings, meaning he's not calling with any two based on our read.

Just cause YOU'D call with any 2, just because it makes sense to call with any two doesn't mean that our opponent will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should we ever have a hypothetical poker question based on something that will never happen, seems kinda pointless. Maybe part of the read is also that the BB will have 2-7os EVERYTIME we play the hand. In which case, I push 8 high.

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait two hands and i might push any two, but w/ a 50k stack in the blinds, i'll stick to any ace, any pair, lot of connecctors, hm, and any two broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray...I've been waiting for your backup for 3 hours...jeez.

illegit 12-27-2005 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should we ever have a hypothetical poker question based on something that will never happen, seems kinda pointless. Maybe part of the read is also that the BB will have 2-7os EVERYTIME we play the hand. In which case, I push 8 high.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get your objection. The hypothetical is that WE HAVE A READ on our opponent, he's not sharp enough to know that on his stack size and getting the odds he's getting he should call with any two, and given this info what range are you pushing here? What are you referring to that will 'never happen'? It will never happen that we have a similar read on our opponent? Why not?

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get your objection. The hypothetical is that WE HAVE A READ on our opponent, he's not sharp enough to know that on his stack size and getting the odds he's getting he should call with any two, and given this info what range are you pushing here? What are you referring to that will 'never happen'? It will never happen that we have a similar read on our opponent? Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I bet the BB folds here...1:200.

illegit 12-27-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I bet the BB folds here...1:200.

[/ QUOTE ]
The BB... the imaginary player with a big stack who we have a read on, a read you're purposely ignoring.. why? Apparently you find it impossible to have this read and I just don't know why.

Say 1 orbit prior the SB pushed into the BB on a stack smaller than ours and we saw the BB fold getting 3-1. Then we know we currently have plenty of fold equity. I shouldn't have to concretize ways in which we can have a particular read in order for you to understand the hypothetical in the abstract, but say you were equipped with this information, are you STILL not pushing any 2? If you are then you were pushing any 2 in the first place you just didn't realize you had a read (which you clearly did have according to the info given by the OP).