Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Empire Poker to sue Party Gaming (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382481)

Larimani 11-21-2005 03:54 AM

Empire Poker to sue Party Gaming

LONDON (Reuters) - Online gaming firm Empire Online (EOL.L: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday that talks following an approach by larger rival PartyGaming (PRTY.L: Quote, Profile, Research) had broken down and it was planning to taking legal action against PartyGaming.

"The directors of Empire Online have explored whether legal action might be taken by Empire Online in relation to damage caused to it by the conduct of companies within the PartyGaming group in separating the poker system used by PartyGaming players from that of its "skins"," Empire said in a statement.

"Having received legal advice, the directors intend to institute and vigorously pursue legal proceedings as soon as possible," it added.

Skins are online poker Web sites, like Empire, that drive their poker players through to a software platform operated by another poker site like PartyGaming.

imported_leader 11-21-2005 03:57 AM

Re: Empire Poker to sue Party Gaming

I hope they win.

Freudian 11-21-2005 04:17 AM

The empire strikes back.

Gramps 11-21-2005 04:46 AM

I'm sure Party knew this was coming when they made the move, and calculated that it was likely more than worth the $$. This thing could get dragged out for years and years, Empire could still get a big settlement or award, and it will still have been a very +$EV move on Party's part.

Thanks for helping protect our market share from startups and helping to recruit our player base, now we'll start collecting all of the rake revenues ourselves, but do it in a manner where we can argue we're holidng up our end of the bargain contractually (providng Empire "a" platform, just not a shared platform with Party's players), giving you a little less leverage contractually, and facing the prospect of having to spend millions and millions (or at least your attorneys on contingency) in order to fight this and have a shot at winning (and maybe still not being "made whole" if you win).

Meanwhile, Party is raking it in (yes, pun). Come and get us, we'll be counting our $$ while waiting for you guys.

11-21-2005 04:51 AM

so will this mean anything for the players any time soon?

imported_leader 11-21-2005 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so will this mean anything for the players any time soon?

[/ QUOTE ]
This will likely never mean anything for the players except maybe a little gratification if Party losses.

Baulucky 11-21-2005 06:28 AM

EOL.L

PRTY.L

Markets don't like courts.

"The Reverse Midas Touch: How I turned gold into excrement in 6 months" by Dikshit is sure to be a best seller and a study case in business schools.

11-21-2005 07:35 AM

The only people hurting from the drop in share price are those that actually bought shares at a higher price.

William 11-21-2005 09:02 AM

Great, last desperate move from the sinking ship.

Empire
RIP (died slowly and painfully)

danzasmack 11-21-2005 11:04 AM

After the whole pokershare things, I'm nervous that one day I'm gonna log into empire and my bankroll will be gone.

Does anyone see this as a possibility?