Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Aggression level on Aces (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406934)

rnmike17602 12-29-2005 03:38 AM

Aggression level on Aces

Is the porridge too hot, too cold, or just right?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (18.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB

shant 12-29-2005 03:41 AM

Re: Aggression level on Aces

I'd cap the turn and call if he bet the river but bet if checked to. It feels like he is overplaying KK/QQ.

This is assuming people play normally at 0.02/0.04

12-29-2005 03:48 AM

I'd at least cap the turn. Then it depends on how this level plays whether I'd raise the river as well.

Wizard0965 12-29-2005 03:51 AM

&lt;grunch&gt; I don't see him capping preflop with 88 or less to hit trips on that flop I prolly cap turn and call a bet into me on the river.

Eeegah 12-29-2005 03:58 AM

Cap the turn; you beat him soundly. You can probably raise the river.

bottomset 12-29-2005 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd cap the turn and call if he bet the river but bet if checked to. It feels like he is overplaying KK/QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-29-2005 04:42 AM

I'd put as much money in as possible. I figure I win this at least 70% of the time.

Eeegah 12-29-2005 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing a fair bit of .02/.04 lately doing some 15BB challenges while doing other stuff; in fact I ran into our Hero here once yesterday. I've noticed that you get folks that are far more aggro at this level than other Stars games, even up to .50/1, because people just don't care. Raising is fun, hand or no!

He could have AA here, or he could have KK. Maybe TT. I think KJo is as likely as any of these. Just gotta jam for value.

rnmike17602 12-29-2005 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in fact I ran into our Hero here once yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I recognized that picture, minus the glasses... I wasn't sure if it was you or if that's just one of those pictures you see around.

If I recall, the tables were particularly wild and generous that evening.

rnmike17602 12-29-2005 05:43 AM

Survey says: too cold.

I'm not going to argue with that. I've got to admit, from the PF cap and onward into the turn I was sure that I had this guy on KK or QQ and I was going to take down a massive pot at his expense.

What slows me down is this: yes, I've seen some wild tables there, but the vast majority of the Stars guys I have stats for are either loose-passive, loose-aggressive/passive, or tight-passive in that order. Many of these guys will hammer the pot pre-flop, but then back off to a raise or 3-bet post-flop unless they've got the nuts, especially on the turn. I don't have a good read on this guy, but he's just not slowing down for anything, and it's atypical. I'm imagining that the typical passive guy with KK is thinking, OMG he 3-bet PF, what if he has aces, and he backs off.

So I chicken out, and I call down. He shows 77 for trips, and I gag. Now I'm thinking, "am I spewing?" But I don't see any reason why I should have backed off of this any sooner, and there's a good case for taking it further.

Now this does highlight something I've been seeing pretty frequently with some of the more aggressive players on Stars. They have a habit of 3-betting or limp-reraising with any pocket pair. I think their rationale is that someone ahead of them is raising with AK, AQ, etc., and if they can get the pot heads-up, then they have a race and can steal from weaker players. Stars seems to be heavy on the tournaments, and I think maybe this is some misapplied no-limit tourney stuff leaking into the ring games.

I don't know if this is something that I have to factor into my evaluation. It doesn't happen a lot overall, but some of the most aggressive players do tend to do it frequently.